1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Simpson lip sync on SNL

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Seth Paxton, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

He did mention it happening during "dance breaks" and it being a "recent phenomenon."

I don't believe him either when he said he didn't know Simpson was going to lip sync. That just doesn't add up, especially after seeing his degree of involvement.

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I'll bet she has this concern before EVERY live show she does. And now she has to be concerned with finding someone to push the right g'damn buttons.

Bruce

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I just heard that she is holding off on releasing the song (she was supposed to perform) as a single, due to this incident.

4. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

They went overboard with the lip sync jokes in Saturday's episode, especially considering that SNL allowed her to lip sync in the first place.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I watch the 60 Minute story as well, and I think Ashlee's rehearsal vocals wouldn't get her through the 1st round of an American Idol audition.

6. Bren_Chris

Bren_Chris Stunt Coordinator

This is becoming a tired topic, but one thing stands out to me when Lorne or whoever says they had no idea she was going to lip-sync. The backing tracks have to be soundchecked just like all the live instruments and microphones. They have to be fed into the soundboard just like the live leads, and you have to balance all of the above so that it sounds natural during the actual "performance." So maybe Lorne doesn't hang around for soundchecks, but anyone who does would be privy to the fact that pre-recorded vocals were going to be used. (And anyone who looked at the mixer during the live broadcast would be able to see the lack of signal coming from Ashlee's microphone.)

What also gets me is Simpson referring to her "real" or "true" fans. How long has she been around? A year, if that? How does one develop "real fans" in such a short amount of time? But it's just another example of our current state of culture, I guess. Substitute "suckers" for "fans" and I'll believe every word the girl says.

7. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Did anyone see A. Simpson at the Orange Bowl halftime? It was an all out ear assault. Towards the end of her song I was praying for the sweet release of death. [​IMG] At the end she was booed by the crowd. [​IMG][​IMG] She should consider lip-synching all her live performances (if there are any more).

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

She should consider just going away entirely.

Bruce

9. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

Yes, her performance was bad. However, I'm certain a lot of that can be attributed to the horrid sound system that was used. Kelly Clarkson's mic didn't even work at first, and then, when she received a second mic, the volume was hardly audible. Her backup singers were clearer and sounded better than she did.

Instead of bashing someone for trying to do something that they perhaps enjoy, take a breath and calm down. There is absolutely no reason to make a post of your nature.

The booing was utterly uncalled for. Dignity and respect, people. Next time you do something that isn't perfect, perhaps someone should come to your building and boo you, the tirelessly berate you behind your back.

It's a trivial thing people. Just calm down. Don't make yourself out to appear to be a moron with your originality of bashing Simpson.

10. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Golly! They didn't mean anything by it, Mr. Simpson...er...Matt.

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Happens to me every time I make a mistake (and sometimes when I don't). Try sitting through a 2 hour software emergency "post mortem" meeting after being up 24 hours without sleep, listening to managers who can't read a line of code berate you not only for something for which you are blameless, but for something only you knew how to fix. The only difference is I'm a hell of a lot better at my "job" than Miss Simpson is at hers.

Talent in the public sphere (sometimes) receives praise, lack of talent (usually) receives derision. It's a fact of life, get over it.

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I agree with Matt to an extent. It's not that I think Ashlee didn't deserve it, but booing is not the way to show your displeasure. Exactly. If someone is performing a stunt...falls and hurts them self, I'd probably find it hysterical, but I have enough restraint and common sense to know that I shouldn't go over to that person and laugh in their face.

There's a difference between showing your displeasure and acting like a bunch of uncivilized/disrespectful boobs.

13. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I disagree. Those people in the stands paid their money to be there and showed the type of response that presentation deserved. It wasn't rude and uncivilized, as some have claimed. Rude and uncivilized would have been rushing the stage, or throwing cups full of beer down on her.

Fact is, all those people are now telling her the truth, something her parents and managers/agents should have been doing for the past few years. The real blame for this fiasco of a halftime show goes to the Orange Bowl organizers for thinking the target audience for a national college football championship game is the same target audience for performers like Kelly Clarkson and Ashlee Simpson.

14. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Here's a funny op ed piece on Ashley's half time debacle.

Peace,

DM

15. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Tony Whalen
    I thought the booing was well-deserved, to be frank. As Dave said, it wasn't rude or uncivilized...it was paying customers making their displeasure known. Geez, is booing poor entertainment considered un-PC now?

Ashlee Simpson is a person with average singing skills AT BEST. Why she is treated like a superstar is a mystery to me.

Dave, that MSNBC piece you posted the link to... wow! That guy didn't hold back, did he?

An except:

Sums my thoughts up exactly. Right down to the karaoke-bar applause.

16. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

The people didn't pay to see the entertainment provided by the singers, they paid to see the football game.

How about the next time someone goes to see your daughter/sister/brother, etc in a school performance, they get up and begin "booing" if they didn't like it?

Most people are simply jumping on the "Simpson Sucks!" wagon and are riding it around because it's the "in" thing now.

17. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

One big difference: Ashley Simpson gets paid MILLIONS to sing like crap. My family does it for free. (I love 'em to death, but they're not all there in the vocal department. [​IMG] ).

It's a matter of principal: how come someone so suck-tastic is so famous and rich?

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Yup, it has absolutely nothing to do with her obvious lack of talent and her voice sounding like a animal caught in a trap.

19. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Back in the vaudeville days it was proper etiquette to 'boo' the villain. :b

20. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

Without her sister, Jessica would not be in the public entertainment business. Her popular sister and company have enormous power in the industry and if you saw her and Nick's so-bad-it-was-scary Xmas special, the two girls are both from the same parents.

Jessica is a result of this phase of pop music, an era that will someday be forgotten and not looked back on fondly in most cases.