What's new

Simpson lip sync on SNL (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I don't post in TV enough to know if there are other SNL threads, but a quick scan didn't show any from the last 10 days so I figure nothing is ongoing.

Anyway, at this point I'm wondering if the west coast tape will even have this major fubar, but the live viewers saw a classic screw-up.

Ashlee apparently had her vocals canned even though the band was playing live. So on her 2nd song the band starts playing the 2nd single (according to my wife since I haven't heard it) and Ashlee isn't even singing yet when suddenly we hear her belting out "Pieces of Me" again without moving her lips.

It gets turned down quickly and she sort of goofs around for a second, the band isn't even really playing since they don't know what to do. Finally they kind of kick in to Piece of Me instead but she still has no vocals and is just looking around kinda dancing and squirming over what to do until she finally just walks off the stange and SNL puts up a commercial break card awkwardly.

Then to end the show I guess they figure something must be said so she BLAMED HER BAND for playing the wrong song, I guess hoping we didn't all notice her vocals kicking in for Pieces of Me without her mouth moving.

Again, the band I think was live because you could follow them roughly starting the first song, then kinda stopping in confusion, and then finally picking up with Pieces of Me one by one.

This Milli Vanilli moment and subsequent passing of the buck can't be good for her career. Anyway, I plan on watching that portion of the west feed on the dish to see if it makes it there, or what they do with it.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BTW, since the west coast feed is now on, the 2nd song originally played right after the Jane Eyre sketch about 20 minutes before the end of the show.

It was funny watching the first song now knowing that the singing was actually canned.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
And they handled it worse than a freaking cut.

Instead they doctored it to appear as if the band did screw up. Suddenly the sudden burst of her canned audio no longer is there, just the band apparently lost and her just doing nothing, as if they couldn't just stop and play the right song. If this is the version you saw, just know that what she was waiting on was for them to line up the right canned vocals, not for her band to know what song to play (which is why she's not talking to them about it).

That is so lame. Now when the end of the show comes up it will appear that her explanation is legit. Better to have just cut it than this dirty trick. If I was in the band I'd be pissed.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the West Coast broadcast of SNL w/ Ashlee Simpson. NBC apparently deleted the canned vocals, and she knew something was wrong right away; she keep looking up and her "dancing" was out of sync. I love how the musicians smirked to each other as she walked off-stage, ready to laugh out loud.

:D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's disappointing. With her first song I was initially thinking "She's doing better than I thought she would." and then I started looking closely to see if she was lip syncing. It was hard to tell, but thing's were just TOO perfect as well. The excuse is LAME and I feel sorry for her band.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I was watching during her first “performance” and it was screamingly obvious that this was SNL karaoke. Her lame technique for disguising the lip synch was to hold the BIG microphone in front of her mouth, with BOTH hands.

This girl has a career? And other singers are starving? WTF?

RobertW

Supporting Actor
another example of the depths to which the music industry has sunk. if you can't do it live, you have no business being in the recording industry.

Phil_L

Second Unit
While her sister Jessica may be playing the ditz thing to death, the girl can sing. Ashlee on the other hand....ouch. MadTV had a skit about her not being able to sing a while back. It's not like she was doing an intense dance routine, which is the excuse Britney uses. If you can't sing on key when standing in place, your record contract should be torn up.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I caught the tail end of this on the live East Coast feed last night. I turned it on just when the vocals of her first single faded out, saw her "dancing" for a few seconds, then she ran off the stage and her band kept playing. I was wondering what was going on. I was hoping there'd be a thread about it here to fill me in. Thanks guys.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Here are some mirros for the video and apology, please try not to pass my links around, I only have about 15 gigs of bandwidth left for these video's.

Screwup

[url=http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/screwup789.mpg]http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/screwup789.mpg[/url]

Apology

[url=http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Ashlee123789.avi]http://www.newfoundwang.com/pics/Ashlee123789.avi[/url]

From Lucky Magazine interview:

LM: What are your takes on lip-synching?

AS: I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
And is anybody else reminded of Zangief dancing with the President of Russia when he wins Street Fighter, when she dances?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Doesn't anyone find the pic of Jude that they put up after the screw-up totally appropriate as well?

:D

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I saw this on the East Coast and couldn't believe the "explanation" at the end of the show. (BTW, how terrible is SNL?) Whatever happened to "the show must go on" Ashlee?

Alex-C

Screenwriter
quote:another example of the depths to which the music industry has sunk. if you can't do it live, you have no business being in the recording industry.

couldn't agree more. buncha phonies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks