What's new

Simple question about hooking up digital coaxil (1 Viewer)

JaymeF

Agent
I have a kenwood htb-455 system.. and a toshiba sd-1200 DVD player (it's an older model, but still works great) .. anways, I want to hook the dvd player up to my receiver with a digital coaxil cable. So on the back of the dvd player there is a Bitstream/pcm Audio out .. and it says to use a 75ohm digital coaxil cable. So I get a digital coaxil cable and plug it into that. Where do I plug it in into the kenwood receiver? The DVD connections on the back of the receiver show an optical input, dvd/6ch and video 2 coaxil. Do I plug it into the DVD 6/ch? I believe my system is only 5.1, does that make a differnece? Then when I get that hooked up I switch the input mode on the receiver to dmanual? And would I need to still leave my other L/R RCA's plugged in, or does this digital coaxil cable take over all of that?

As you can see, I am new to this :) thanks in advance,

Jayme

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Plug the new digital audio cable into the Kenwood's VIDEO 2 jack. Turn the appropriate Input Source knob/button to VID 2 and that'll get the DVD audio.

There should be an input mode button to select DolbyDigial AUTO for the receiver to read the DVD bitstream signal.

Take it a step at a time -- and Read The Fxxxxx Manual
:D

JaymeF

Agent
I am reading the manual, the thing sucks :frowning: .. maybe it's just me lol.

This is how I have it hooked up right now:

The Kenwood receiver has 2 Svideo Inputs and one output. Monitor Out, DVD/CD and Video2. Right now I have my DVD player hooked up to the DVD/CD svideo jack, the TV hooked up to Monitor Out, and my sattelite receiver hooked up to Video2.

OOn the DVD section on the back of the kenwood receiver there is an optical input, DVD/6CH input and a Video2 input.

So your saying to hook up the digital coaxil cable from my DVD player to the Video2 jack? wouldn't that be the same Video2 that I am using for my sat receiver? Basically I am just confused about this, because I don't know what to select as the mode.. DVD/CD or Video2 .. if I select Video2 then wouldn't I be using the sat receiver instead of the DVD player for video?

Also, this cable is just for Dolby Digital and DTS right? I would still need to leave my regular RCA interconnects there for movies that didn't support either?

Vin

Supporting Actor
Also, this cable is just for Dolby Digital and DTS right? I would still need to leave my regular RCA interconnects there for movies that didn't support either?
No, even if you played a DVD that didn't have a DD or DTS soundtrack, all you'll need is the digital coaxial cable...it will still carry the digital bitstream to your receiver for DPL playback. You don't need the L&R analog connections at all once you've connected the digital coaxial cable.

Got it?

Vin

JaymeF

Agent
Ohhh ok.. so the DVD/6ch input is what I use.. I was a little confused because I thought I had to hook up 6 channels or something if I did that.. DVD/6ch just means I could hook up either?

Thanks again for the info, I will get the cable and give it a go :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks