What's new

Silverado Gift Set Worth A Double Dip? (1 Viewer)

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator
The two reviews I have read of this set indicate that the Superbit transfer is excellent. I love this movie. But I already have the previous Collector's edition. Can anyone who has seen both version comment on whether the transfer and extras are worth the double dip.

TB

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Yes! The transfer is much better and you even get playing cards. Well worth the $15.00 most places are selling it for.

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it was worth it, except for the extras. I have one of the rare Silverado copies that has the 1.78:1 aspect ratio instead of the 2.35:1. There is no comparison. The transfer on the older disc is brighter, has more definition, less plugged up colors, and is just all-around the nicer, clearer verwion to watch. I know the aspect ratio isn't as wide, which can be a deal-breaker for some, but the older transfer is hands-down better. Too bad too, because I like the DTS track, although admittedly it is not worlds better than the DD one. I wonder if the transfer for the 1.78:1 version is the same as the first re-release with the 2.35:1 ratio. Anyone care to chime in?

Todd B

Stunt Coordinator

Ah, but the DVD File review doesn't compare the new version with the earlier version. Mark's observation was that the newer version doesn't compare well with the previous version.

Does anyone else have both versions to compare?

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
...but the image is. The 1.78:1 mis-transfer is just the 2.35:1 transfer without the top/bottom matting. It has too much image, rather than not enough.

Now back to the topic at hand. My recollection is that the older transfer is quite satisfactory, but I'd pick up the new disc if I heard good enough comparisons. But of the three reviews of the new set on DVD-Basen, the only one that compares the transfers (Colin Jacobson's review on DVDMG) says, "...the two look very similar." This is hardly compelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks