What's new

Shows you bought but were disappointed (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Simpsons Season 1-3 - never a big fan but heard such good things. Never even got to season 2...

Johny Quest - loved it as a kid, don't have enough time to bother with as an adult

Spiderman the animated series - see Jonny Quest

Miami Vice Season 1 - on the fence with Season 2 as I have not finished Season 1 yet. (although loved re visist Remington Steele and Moonlighting).

Funny they are all animation ones. God help me, I might be growing up! Make it stop!!!

: )

Dave

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Forever Knight. I remembered liking this vampire-cop show as a kid, but when I saw it again on DVD I was surprised by how cheesy it was. Better writing on shows like Buffy and Angel must have spoiled me in the time between.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
yes I like forever knights season 1-3 but season 4 sucked monkey nuts and the final eposide was horrible ,yes it was chessy sets and low rent canada product but it was fun till the last season. But forever night was not enough fun to shell out 25 bucks for even a used set maybe, bit torrent? lol. Although I own both the orginal seasons of Johny quest and Spider man 67 collection both are fun blasts from the past and worth the money I spent. A set that was a big disappointment was sonys UnderDog set, poor captures, low rent packaging and all of the other cartoons in the underdog show strip out D- set in my book.

MichelleB

Stunt Coordinator
Not so much that I was disapointed but I regret buying L&C Season One. I used to watch the show religiously when it aired, so I bought the DVD a while back and I haven't watched one episode and I don't really plan on watching any... Maybe my tastes have changed since then. Now it's just sitting on my shelf collecting dust...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Careful Bob. As a new member, be sure to check out the rules of what may be mentioned on this site. Or more to the point, what may not! They're very strict here.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I've never bought a set that turned out to be totally without merit, but some became really repetitive after awhile:
Wonder Woman Season 1
H.R. Pufnstuf (fun in very limited doses)
Transformers
And I'm a bit ashamed to say this, as it was my favorite show for so long, but I've had trouble getting through my Buffy DVD sets. I think the appeal of the show lay so much in its serial nature and the suspense of what would happen next. I'm sure I'll get into it again in a few years.

For those who've given up on The Simpsons after the first two seasons, please reconsider with the later sets! Seasons 3 and especially 4 and 5 are much, much better.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
21 Jump Street : I hadn't seen this show since I was in a kid and after purchasing the first season, I was all excited to watch it. Well it turned out to be a pretty dumb show and didn't hold up at all for me. I have no plans to get any more seasons and I sold the first season off.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
On the whole, most of the Television DVDs I've purchased are of shows I throughly enjoyed, with at least a 90% success rate. I'm close to getting on my for not needing cable (except for the Olympics, first-run Cartoon Network originals, and a couple of other things) to be honest. The only true disappointment I've had is:

DuckTales - Vol. 1 - I was and still am a huge fan of Chip n'Dale Rescue Rangers, one of Disney's best TV animation series. All reviews I read said DuckTales was so much better...but honestly, it's quite flat in comparison. The characters are...blah...the animation is similar in quality to Rescue Rangers (strangely enough all reviews said it was vastly superior)...and the writing is just medicore. And, I've watched 6 episodes. And, besides, DuckTales doesn't have Gadget! :D

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Probably Surface The Complete Series after reading the post on the DVD set.

I picked up more Frasier seasons since I got hooked to it also more Scooby Doo Where are you sets were released. Scooby/Dynomutt, and Where Are You s3.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Well, I disagree with you on ``Charmed,'' I came in and bought the show's first season as a blind buy and was quite pleasantly surprised. Continued with buying all the seasons released thus far and have seen all of them, granted you're right they do get reptitious, but I've enjoyed it's run on DVD thus far...and I must admit that I particularly enjoy Alyssa Milano and her character ``Phoebe'' best. :)

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Bought ``Lois & Clark'' as a blind buy, and have enjoyed what I've seen thus far of the first season. Okay, maybe I may be a bit easy to please in terms of my television, but so far, so good...I may not like S4 when they get married from what some fans say.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

This is good to know...I struggled to get through the first two episodes of the first season...tho I've loyally been buying all the succeeding seasons, many of which I got on the cheap.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Again, this is good to know...I've not been amazing wowed by anything I've seen in the first season of ``Angel'' thus far, except for ``I Will Remember You'' with Buffy visiting Angel, a fantastic episode. I'll stick with it, since again, I was able to get the whole series for less than $20 per set thanks to Amazon's winter Fox TV on DVD sale this year.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I didn't think TNG's first two seasons (I've watched the first three and about a third of the fourth thus far) were that dreadful, true, it was a bit of a slow start...but by the end of the first season and definitely into the first season, the show was pretty well on its way to hitting its stride.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Allright, probably my worst disappointment with a set that I've purchased thus far is ``Space Academy: The Complete Series''...I vaguely remembered this show from when I was a kid, and oy, it's terrible. Grade A cheesy! Also, I've got another show in my collection that I remember from the good ole days and it just hadn't held up very well, but I can't recall what it is at the moment. Pretty much everything else that I remember from the '60s, '70s, and '80s has held up quite well. :)

Katherine_K

Second Unit
The only blind buy that I really regret was ...

The Closer - Season 1. I found the characters and situations unbelievable, the stories predictable, and in the light of other police dramas on television these days it just doesn't live up to the current standards.

I was mildly disappointed with Without A Trace which just doesn't have enough personality for me and I found it a little odd that the New York FBI office's missing persons unit found so many people alive.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Crime Story turned out to be one of the most disappointing series I ever bought. It's often wrongly compared to the excellent (and contemporary) WISEGUY series. Both of those I didn't watch back in the 1980s, so I bought them sight-unseen. WISEGUY is worthy of any collection, although poor sales resulted in only half of the series (38 out of 75) to come to DVD. I bought all of the available episodes.

The early-1960s set Crime Story isn't as good as it could have been. Maybe I would have liked it better had it been produced for HBO instead of NBC. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Lost In Space S1. I watched the set but, for me, it didn't stand the test of time as well as the other Irwin Allen shows. I love Time Tunnel & Voyage....Sea. I traded LIS S1 in this weekend at my local Trade Store for store credit. I have been fortunate with TV/DVD collecting, as that's the only set that I've removed from my collection so far.

troy evans

Screenwriter
2 that bummed Me were Tru Calling and Bones.I heard nothing but rave reviews over these, so ,when they were on sale I snatched up both Tru calling sets and Bones season 1.Originally,I was going to make a blind buy of House season 1,I'm thinking I should have went with that choice instead.2 shows I feel held up good were J*A*G and Classic Kolchac:The Nightstalker.Both those I feel Are Still Great TV Shows!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I agree with you on JAG...I think it held up quite well. Of course, I must admit I only saw scattered episodes here and there after the show got canceled by NBC following its first season, and of course, CBS picked it up later. I've seen Seasons 1 and 2 thus far, and part of S3 and have liked all the shows that I've watched. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks