What's new

shows that have been destroyed (1 Viewer)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Life Of Riley! It was a popular show distributed by 20th Century Fox back in the late fifties and beyond. All of the elements exist, but it was neglected in recent years by Fox and is now owned by Disney, so it may as well be totally lost.
In looking thru old TVGuides I was surprised to see that some Riley episodes were filmed and shown in color but as far as I know they haven’t been seen in color since the network run.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
In looking thru old TVGuides I was surprised to see that some Riley episodes were filmed and shown in color but as far as I know they haven’t been seen in color since the network run.
Yes I’ve heard about those color episodes. Strangely, some obscure shows like How To Marry A Millionaire are preserved and eventually surface while others like Life Of Riley are buried in the vault is some clueless company.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The first season Avengers which don't exist never aired in the United States so unless you lived in England in 1961 then you never saw them.

and even then, some ITV regions didn't air several episodes at all - and one or two regions never aired ANY of the first season! Several regions opted in after several weeks, so they got the first episode and then the next week, the current episode live (or live-on-tape) from London!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yes I’ve heard about those color episodes. Strangely, some obscure shows like How To Marry A Millionaire are preserved and eventually surface while others like Life Of Riley are buried in the vault is some clueless company.
This was run on what became "Nick at Nite" It looked like it might have been 16mm b&W prints with a lot of noise in the soundtrack ...

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
This was run on what became "Nick at Nite" It looked like it might have been 16mm b&W prints with a lot of noise in the soundtrack ...

There are several episodes around in the collectors circle even the Jackie Gleason ones but they are from poor 16mm prints as Bryan said and look it (at least the ones I have seen)

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
and even then, some ITV regions didn't air several episodes at all - and one or two regions never aired ANY of the first season! Several regions opted in after several weeks, so they got the first episode and then the next week, the current episode live (or live-on-tape) from London!
Part of the problem was the ITV franchisee that owned The Avengers, ABC (that's Associated British Cinemas not to be confused with the American Broadcasting Company) only ran on the weekends in two regions (the midlands and north of England and had no presence in London until they were forced to merge with Associated Rediffusion.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Just found another Shenanigans show to watch on YouTube, from TV Days.com, so there must be at least two, plus a portion on audio tape!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I wonder what the current status is of the Jim Perry version of Sale of the Century (1983-89)?

As of 2018, a fan named Jason Cranmer had contacted FremantleMedia and the woman who spoke to him about this told him that only 883 episodes of the series currently exist, and that of this count (which, if true, corrected the early info from Mitt Dawson about it containing only the 1988-89 daytime run and the whole 1985-86 syndicated run), again, no episodes from before 1985 exist.

My guess is that, for the show's daytime run, Reg Grundy himself had the tapes erased and reused daily, until it got to 1985.

~Ben

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For the first time, you can see the opening five minutes of an NBC "Concentration" in original color video tape quality. All extant episodes that we have seen are in B/W kinescope format. The WRC station ID probably indicates it came from the National Archives.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock mentioned the show "Karen" in another thread a while back. It starred Debbie Watson the year before she was in "Tammy". It was on for 1 season in 1964-65 on NBC. I understand only a couple episodes exist out of the 27 that were made. The Beach Boys sang the title song. I have seen clips of the show online. Unfortunately the entire show isn't around anymore. It seems similar to The Patty Duke Show and looks like fun to watch.
Of course Karen still exists in the Universal vaults. As does the rest of the 90 Bristol Court series. Not to mention, UCLA has all of them on 16mm.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
An industry person posted a while back that they were being transferred to a modern format so there is hope. I have a few Karens but the other 2 shows have been on my want list for over 40 years.
I'm with you on that, Neil. There are other shows too I've been waiting for. Not sure why some were saying most of the episodes of Karen don't exist. I read that on several different sites online. They had me believing that. It goes to show you can't believe everything you read. Thanks for the update. Some good news soon I hope.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yesterday, I was among the lucky couple hundred to see the first ever public screening of the lost CBS telecast of Super Bowl I (Packers-Chiefs). A technician at the CBS station in Scranton/Wilkes Barre, PA had recorded it on a single two inch quad tape and while it is not complete (between play edits in the first half and missing halftime and the first half of the third quarter) it is largely complete and in great condition thanks to restoration work done by the Paley Center in NY. Unfortunately, the NFL refuses to come to an agreement with the family of the man who recorded it and that's why it has not been given a public replay or DVD release. The public screening was the first time a wide audience saw it, and it was fascinating and at the same time frustrating that the NFL is too mule-headed to recognize the importance of this preserved piece of television history (they would rather let NFL Films be the only frame of reference for their sport's history)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks