What's new

Show Off Your System! The HTF Theaters Thread (1 Viewer)

CyFactor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince Turner
A year and a half later, and I've switched to a 135" 16x9. The 2:1 and 1.85:1 content just wasn't as immersive from the back row, and more and more shows / movies that I enjoy watching are moving away from 2.35-ish content. Now I'll be adding additional speakers to the rear and optimizing for both rows as opposed to just the front row. Getting ready for Avatar 2 in 3D! :D

135in 16x9.jpg

Theater Back - Revised.jpg

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
A year and a half later, and I've switched to a 135" 16x9. The 2:1 and 1.85:1 content just wasn't as immersive from the back row, and more and more shows / movies that I enjoy watching are moving away from 2.35-ish content. Now I'll be adding additional speakers to the rear and optimizing for both rows as opposed to just the front row. Getting ready for Avatar 2 in 3D! :D

View attachment 176712
View attachment 176713
I would love to get a 135 incher, but I have to sell my 110 incher first.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

View attachment 176712
View attachment 176713
Would you remind me what your speakers are? I seem to recall they are a home build.

When I see HTs like this, I'm reminded why I've dubbed mine "The Ugly Dome". It is designed 100% for performance, and 0% presentation. Mainly for budgetary reasons.

CyFactor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince Turner
Would you remind me what your speakers are? I seem to recall they are a home build.

When I see HTs like this, I'm reminded why I've dubbed mine "The Ugly Dome". It is designed 100% for performance, and 0% presentation. Mainly for budgetary reasons.

That was a battle with the wife. I was all about "function over aesthetics", but she wouldn't have it. She still thinks it's overkill that I'm planning more speakers and more diffusion (QRD diffusion panels on the side and front walls, diffusion panels on the ceiling).

And, yes, every speaker in there is custom built except the ceiling ATMOS which are Bowers & Wilkins and a single sealed sub at the back of the theater that is an SVS-SB2000 Pro. I built the surrounds and those open-baffle subwoofers myself. The LCR are also available as kits, but I picked up these from the second-hand market from someone who had already heavily upgraded them. It's all GR Research. My main LCR amps are Odyssey Audio, also custom built and optimized for these speakers.

Here's the entire project from start to finish: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/and-so-it-begins-attic-reclaim.364785

Last edited:

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
That was a battle with the wife. I was all about "function over aesthetics", but she wouldn't have it. She still thinks it's overkill that I'm planning more speakers and more diffusion (QRD diffusion panels on the side and front walls, diffusion panels on the ceiling).

And, yes, every speaker in there is custom built except the ceiling ATMOS which are Bowers & Wilkins and a single sealed sub at the back of the theater that is an SVS-SB2000 Pro. I built the surrounds and those open-baffle subwoofers myself. The LCR are also available as kits, but I picked up these from the second-hand market from someone who had already heavily upgraded them. It's all GR Research. My main LCR amps are Odyssey Audio, also custom built and optimized for these speakers.

Here's the entire project from start to finish: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/and-so-it-begins-attic-reclaim.364785
Just checked your build, quite an endeavor , great room! How do you like that Panasonic Blu Ray Player ,comparable to whatever you had before? I have Oppo 93, and now upgrading to Atmos , got new processor etc.

CyFactor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince Turner
Just checked your build, quite an endeavor , great room! How do you like that Panasonic Blu Ray Player ,comparable to whatever you had before? I have Oppo 93, and now upgrading to Atmos , got new processor etc.

Thanks! The Oppo wasn't available anymore when I pulled the trigger on the Panasonic. Compared to the old Sony player I had been using, it's much better (and way more expensive). I like the fact that it has a built-in tone mapping algorithm specifically for the projector. I watch a lot of online streaming content and from my Plex library (mostly 1080p), so when I pop in a 4K Blu-ray, I'm quickly reminded how sub par streaming can be relatively speaking. I am about to add two more ceiling speakers and another sub to make it a 7.4.6. :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

John with his Thiel speakers:

852CE485-D6F7-4928-8C2C-0A64A1B23866.jpeg

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
Just finished installing the two additional Atmos speakers on the ceiling.
Hello, I am trying to figure out upgrade for Atmos and how to get 4 more speakers in my HT with least amount of cutting. How are those SLM Logans behaving? and how hard was to install them up there?

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Family Room – 2.2 system: Anthem STR Preamp, Bryston 6BSST, QSC PLD4.2, 2 ea. Dynaudio Contour 20, 2 ea. Scan-Speak 32W/4878T Revelator 13" Subwoofer’s, VPI Prime Turntable, Ortofon MC Cadenza Bronze Cartridge. 5.1 system-STR in HT Bypass: Denon AVR-X6500H, LG 77 CX, 3rd Dynaudio Contour 20 for CC, 2 ea. Infinity Cascade Model Nine surrounds, Apple 4K TV, Panasonic DP-UB820, Xfinity XG1v4. Amps are in a cabinet I built in the crawlspace below the family room.

Family_Room_LG_Dynaudio_72pi.jpg

Stressless_Couch_Loveseat_1_1000p.jpg

Main Theater 7.1.4 (3 Subs) - JVC DLA-RS3100, Panamorph DCR-J1, Stewart StudioTek 130 G4, 115” x 49” (125”), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242, Marantz AV7705, Oppo BDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Infinity Prelude Compositions; Mains - Model P-FR (2 ea.), Center - P-CC, Surrounds - P-QPS (2 ea.), Heights – 4 ea. Cascade Model Three V, Rear Surround – 2 ea. NCM Okara II monitors, TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18", 2 ea. LMS-R 15, Monolith 7x200 Amp, B & K REF 200.5 Amp, 2 ea. Crown CE4000 amps. Built myself decades ago. Would hire professionals if I was to do it over again but it serves its purpose, the image and sound are both amazing.

Basement_Teater_Front_Back.jpg

Bonus Room, exercise room - JVC DLA-RS500, Denon AVR-4250CI, 2 Channel/HT Bypass; Oppo HA-1 Preamp, Bryston 4B ST, Bryston 7B ST, Bryston 10B-SUB crossover, DIY North Creek Music Vision Signatures - FR/C/FL and Leviathan 18" Subwoofer. Other miscellaneous DIY Subs and surround speakers.

Bonus_Room_Left_Front_1000p.jpg

Last edited:

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
Family Room – 2.2 system: Anthem STR Preamp, Bryston 6BSST, QSC PLD4.2, 2 ea. Dynaudio Contour 20, 2 ea. Scan-Speak 32W/4878T Revelator 13" Subwoofer’s, VPI Prime Turntable, Ortofon MC Cadenza Bronze Cartridge. 5.1 system-STR in HT Bypass: Denon AVR-X6500H, LG 77 CX, 3rd Dynaudio Contour 20 for CC, 2 ea. Infinity Cascade Model Nine surrounds, Apple 4K TV, Panasonic DP-UB820, Xfinity XG1v4. Amps are in a cabinet I built in the crawlspace below the family room.

View attachment 176833

View attachment 176839

Main Theater 7.1.4 (3 Subs) - JVC DLA-RS3100, Panamorph DCR-J1, Stewart StudioTek 130 G4, 115” x 49” (125”), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242, Marantz AV7705, Oppo BDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Infinity Prelude Compositions; Mains - Model P-FR (2 ea.), Center - P-CC, Surrounds - P-QPS (2 ea.), Heights – 4 ea. Cascade Model Three V, Rear Surround – 2 ea. NCM Okara II monitors, TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18", 2 ea. LMS-R 15, Monolith 7x200 Amp, B & K REF 200.5 Amp, 2 ea. Crown CE4000 amps. Built myself decades ago. Would hire professionals if I was to do it over again but it serves its purpose, the image and sound are both amazing.

View attachment 176834

Bonus Room, exercise room - JVC DLA-RS500, Denon AVR-4250CI, 2 Channel/HT Bypass; Oppo HA-1 Preamp, Bryston 4B ST, Bryston 7B ST, Bryston 10B-SUB crossover, DIY North Creek Music Vision Signatures - FR/C/FL and Leviathan 18" Subwoofer. Other miscellaneous DIY Subs and surround speakers.

View attachment 176835

Nice Theaters. My question is how do you like those Stressless EkOrnes sofas? I am planning on getting those at some point, but afraid what our cats will do with that leather.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Nice Theaters. My question is how do you like those Stressless EkOrnes sofas? I am planning on getting those at some point, but afraid what our cats will do with that leather.

I’ve owned a pair of black leather stressless recliner chairs for a long time but my wife didn’t like them in our family room. I have occasional back problems but never when sitting in Stressless. They are now in my bonus room/exercise room. I get to decide on the theater, she has veto rights in the family room so this was our compromise. Nothing more comfortable than the chairs but the reclining sofa and loveseat come close. We had cats for many years with the leather recliner chairs and never had a problem with them. They tend to prefer the fabric furniture to sharpen their claws. We've been cat free for almost 3 years, just the two Aussies now.

kobs

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas
This is what I did with a 12 X 18 X 7.5 feet room in my basement, there's only one chair cause well I'm the only one using it lol
It's a 7.2.4 Atmos system, most of the speakers are Paradigm except for the heights and one sub
The heart of it is a Denon 3700H and a monolith M3100 amp (3 channels) for the fronts and center.
I wish I had more budget but that's what I had lol. Still a very good experience with movies and music

Attachments

• Home theater.JPG
    Home theater.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • latest-audio-4.jpg
    latest-audio-4.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So I wasn't planning to buy a new sub anytime soon.

...but then I found literallyvthis at the Goodwill store FOR TEN DOLLARS.
20240304_125235.jpg

Its a Yamaha-SW216, usually goes for over $150 used and it needs to be cleaned.

BUT IT WORKS!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks