JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Another pic from Nunn, Colorado. This is a straight shot. No manipulation. I swear.

_DSC6318.jpg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks Scott. It's pretty much a "postcard shot," but given the numbers of people that go there daily, I'm glad I was able to get it with minimal tourist intrusion.

We hiked up to the top afterward (one mile with 700 feet elevation gain). The view from the lookout was impressive, but not much to photograph.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was looking through some old photos, and this one really stood out to me due to the lighting. I was actually setup to take a sunset over the Mackinac Bridge from Mackinac Island, but the lighting in the opposite direction was phenomenal. There is a lesson here -- always look behind you, as the best shot may be in the opposite direction from where you are focusing.

451A8390-X2.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You should try that one on metal Scott, bet it would be stunning!

I very much like that Lenny Kravitz shot too

Thanks, Sam. I agree the photo would look good as a metal print. The only issue is the aspect ratio -- I cropped it some at the top & bottom, and the labs I've dealt with have limited options for metal print sizes. I may play with the photo some to see what I can do for sizing, though.

Ironically, I just ordered a metal print today of the photo below. Meridian Pro is having a sale this month, and I really liked this shot from our summer trip to Isle Royale National Park. It's only my 2nd metal print -- the first being a shot of the mountains reflected in Swiftcurrent Lake in Glacier National Park (posted below the Isle Royale shot).

451A4700-X2.jpg

451A7500-X2.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Scott, that second shot make me do a double take. It looks almost like our most famous scene here in Colorado, the Maroon Bells. Look it up. It's amazing how similar the two locations are.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, that second shot make me do a double take. It looks almost like our most famous scene here in Colorado, the Maroon Bells. Look it up. It's amazing how similar the two locations are.

John,

I looked up Maroon Bells, and can definitely see why Swiftcurrent Lake reminded you of that place. They do look very similar. Glacier National Park has several places that look similar -- this one is from Josephine Lake, which is a short hike from Swiftcurrent Lake.

451A7524-X2.jpg

This is also from Swiftcurrent Lake, but with a different viewpoint -- actually from just outside the Many Glacier Hotel just after sunrise. We've stayed in the historic hotel during both our visits to the park.

451A7041-X2.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Look at those dead trees underwater in the Josephine Lake shot!

And the stones. If only a giant fish had swum by just then! ;)

Beautiful images, Scott.

Thanks, Mike. The logs and stones underwater really attracted me to that shot, and using a circular polarizing filter removed the glare from the water to really reveal them. Luckily it was a calm morning to provide the still, mirror-like lake. One other morning the sunrise provided a beautiful red hue on the mountain at Swiftcurrent Lake, but there was enough wind to eliminate any reflection. See below. Unfortunately, the weather doesn't always cooperate.

451A7254-X2.jpg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My high school's theater department is gearing up for a 30th anniversary celebration and made a call for photos, so I've been looking through some of my black-and-white negatives to share with them (I was never a performer, but enjoyed seeing my classmates in shows, so attended them regularly).

I had some prints on hand for one production (Hello Dolly), but after scanning them wanted something a little better so started looking into negative scanning services. This eventually led to a DIY setup where I use my DSLR with macro lens to photograph the negative, with my computer monitor set to a white screen as the backlight. This is followed by processing in Lightroom.

I'm pretty happy with the results. Though I can't say as much about my skills as a teenager, shooting high contrast lighting with a manual focus SLR and 3200 ISO film. ;) Getting an in-focus shots was definitely the biggest challenge at the time (well, still is).

Here are a few of the better shots:

5iW9ChtYn6vzFWVU7VnFeKJSBvmfbiC73X5jqR5OlQDKhoF04-3A2KqLH0bckx5u1swWCV-HY7_67Q=w2560-h1440-no

YPhvuVP0QFuCroMw1F5RjkJNW_EqbCO99hBnGlylo5tH1ZsbH1r1Fb2YOQPtZM2K0YY8PVm4ajCP-g=w2560-h1440-no

WvynR797iYsRVEcCvU--yhz9g9tYh2eTeklQd89O2G-MUU1z1FS9v2KwyZYPa4a0WSV2j0gdT2xFFA=w2560-h1440-no

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can you do anything about those "70s/80s" haircuts on the guys??

Your "system" sounds pretty ingenious, Cameron. Good for you that you've even still got those negs from so long ago...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The system was suggested on photography group on Facebook, but once I started looking into it I remembered I did something similar with slides about 20 years ago, "transferring" them to video for a slideshow. In that case my backlight was daylight from my backyard. My slide holder was a plastic lid I cut to size and my video camera was an 8mm model that had a macro feature.

Everything old is new again!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, at the time TMAX was considered amazing quality for 3200 ISO (can't remember if I pushed it to 6400 or not). I started playing with Lightroom's de-noising, but decided against it, mostly on principle. I didn't see it making that much of a difference and the grain definitely has its charms.

Here's the article that got me started. http://petapixel.com/2012/05/18/how-to-scan-film-negatives-with-a-dslr/

For the negative holder, I just used a 6" x 32" piece of foamcore, scored it at the halfway point to hinge it, and then cut a 1.5 x 1.5 inch opening for the negative. The sheet is just held upright by a large bulldog clip. And turned off the lights when making the exposure.

The only new piece of gear was a 4-way macro rail, to facilitate focusing and left-right positioning.

tpbQImClSoa01Sm5Tb6TMINuQCpsVoJMBUM_sHnsZkitBeWtzmb1Y6DLXC6Rh_BS1Z3EuEvcOYKdLNne-N-wP-e4Eu2gc994-Uqlx9-xZIVHs0S5mJbcGukwu2mE0u6DxndVO_m1Rp8RZ25a4J8xmhqG9ucDAFaPU9N_8_AZfGTexn0OmVALwTjAuEJ3pZhdvigdxrPvB3__jWXDkpSwHre3Vw2NIlsLNWnHQ7ptHYzxItW1XZkIL9MCAQg1VBB_l6K-B6AwqisKfYB_ijNcJmBCzuWQgQfbQmR7cwGz0go8icfLdJ5WrkXFTdf02QY3JxYc6Hm4VrH_D_syGVZYhYqMGr5Hg2OG_GJH1YOydtcDln_tb1FeugACTTF_tKkWVmYUvqlS6kzZAtBX8-wOen-nsBL_c7ItTXqZoSFoaqM8S7TFwhzQVjDRWgVPQIhYfc7G4U49X_NAYbZ6zkb5lxWJjsdq69ZNU-E4lGSzRbgAjCgxYTJzi3xf8ScPbMkwr4LfVkww-0Zn2LMco8wi7r7QkKzdsnuvx7QR5RFT4pQLx0zIiwktbSh7vpTfj7TKjQ3vjeeShqYzc4EVW60eKwL7UxylO5k=w1280-h960-no

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks