What's new

Should I start buying X-files? (2 Viewers)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I've recently watched a couple of episodes and I love this show. Though some of the surprises of the finale were spoiled for me, I think I want to start buying this show on DVD. I just want to know if it's really worth 110 for the sets. How much replay value is there? I took a leap of faith and bought the twin peaks first season but I watched them all and haven't touched them since. I don't know if it's just Twin Peaks or television sets in general. I hope it's just that one set which I believe I will put up in the B/S/T forum. Also, I saw this for only $70 at a site called North American DVD. I want to know if I should order from there because of the value. Can I get it anywhere else for under $100? How do ya'll feel about your sets and do you think I'll enjoy mine?

~Kevin

Blu

Screenwriter
Yes you should buy this series now!!! You can find it a lot cheaper than 110.00 from www.dvdpricesearch.com
and enjoy this series!!!
seasons 1-5 are perhaps the best while they tapered off in quality after that they still provided a lot of entertaining moments!
By all means go for it!

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I say go for it. I have Seasons 1-5 which i didnt see the most of them on there tv run, and i just finished 5 last night. Excellent show. I did was seasons 7-9 while on tv and unlike many others i liked them. Bring on Season 6

capt

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I ordered the "From the Earth to the Moon" box set and the "Ginger Snaps" Collector's Edition from them. I was happy with the service. You could search the retail feedback section for additional info, as well.

And, yes, you should not pay over $100 for the sets.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
If you are an x-phile, they are essential :) . I've got all five, love them, and looking forward to upcoming sets. Every episode is like a 45 minute movie. Season five in particular looks amazing in widescreen and further brings home the feeling that you're watching 20+ movies.

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
They are very good. 24 episodes, i´m pretty sure you will see them a lot of times.

On the other topic, North American DVD looks really good, i don´t know anything about I second your comment, Buffy Season 1 only costs 25.34 (and the second $ 40.84), and i want to know experiences with them.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I usually buy my X-Files sets from North Am. DVD and they've usually done a fine job. Since it ships from Canada it takes a little bit longer, but the savings are worth it.
I also was a latecomer to the series and really started off with the discs. I've quite enjoyed them and recommend it highly if this sort of this interests you at all.:)

John Torrez

Second Unit
I have watched a few episodes here and there including the movie and enjoyed them. Didn't watch the last few episodes though so nothing would be spoiled for me. I got seasons 1 and 2 on dvd so far and have enjoyed the show immensely.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I can vouch for both Canadian sites NorthAmericanDVD.com and DVDMode.com. They recently came through for me on the X-Files season 5 sets.

Be advised that due to the exchange rate from Canadian currency to American dollars the final price when they ship your order may fluctuate by a buck or two.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Both North American DVD and Dvdmode are good. Ive ordered stuff from both of them

capt

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I say get the first 4 seasons.

Ive seen them at Circuit City for $99 on sale for $89.
I got seasons 3 and 4 for under $80 on Ebay.

Craig_T

Second Unit
The first 3 or possibly 4 seasons are the best. I wouldn't drop $100 on the later seasons. Unless of course you really loved the later seasons.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Seasons 1 and 2 are just as good as 3 and 4 concerning the quality of the episodes (acting, directing, writing and producing).

However, Season 1 and 2's a/v quality is very low considering the low budget of the series at the time. However, Seasons 3 and 4 have great a/v quality, long with some really nice special features (deleted scenes, commentary).

While Season 5 is one of my least favorite years, the a/v quality is outstanding, along with the decent amount of special features.

I'd definitely catch some old episodes in syndication before you starting buying older episodes, in case you don't like them or wouldn't want to watch them again.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I only have Seasons 1 and 2 so far, but I'm looking forward to getting 3-5 soon.

Thanks for the tip on Northamericandvd.com! I'm gonna have to try them out. I've recently been dealing with DVDPlanet.com after giving up on Buy.com (their new shipping options suck!)...they've been great, but they can't beat the prices on Northamericandvd.com! The TNG box sets are $10 cheaper than any place I've seen!

--Dan

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Here's a dissenting opinion...
I say just rent them (or watch them on FX Channel).
If you have to ask, then there is no chance you are fanatical enough to watch these over and over - let alone have enough time to watch 175 episodes even twice each. And... what would you be missing by spending 130 hours watching these for the second time? You could watch about two-thirds of the AFI Top 100 movies in that amount of time.
Even more so, consider that there is every chance that the price on these will decrease over time, just as most movie DVD list prices have decreased as time has passed since their release date.
[And, also consider $ value - for example, Season Two of Buffy sells for about $40, and having seen both shows, IMHO is every bit as good if not better than any season of X-Files.]

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I say buy them. I'm a casual fan of the series. I almost never watch it when it's on. But I've been picking up the DVD sets, and each one has been well worth the money. Not only do I spend a great deal of time with each box, but I've also gone back and re-watched a couple of episodes again because I enjoy them so much; so it does have replay value. At least, for me.

Kami

Screenwriter
The 5 x-files seasons are some of my most treasured DVDs. I've watched through all 5 seasons of course, and most of season 1, 2, and 3 twice, and then all my favorite episodes multiple times. And now that I have season 5, the season that comes before the movie, I am going to watch all of the mythology episodes leading up to the movie :) I found a list of them off the web a while ago.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I want to get these now...I have been a casual watcher for years but just had the pleasure of seeing a particular episode in Season 4 by renting it from Netflix.
The episode is Musings of a Ciggartee Smoking Man, the origin story of Cancer Man, and possibly the best episode I have ever seen. Classic stuff, especially theForrest Gump rant at the end, how life is like a box of chocolates, an empty meaningless gift that no one wants and cant return because all you get in return is moe chocolates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks