What's new

Should I leave my amp turned on? (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Can I ask a Really dumb question????

Why would you ever run equipment without a surge protector with a proper rating.
Earl,

Your question isn't dumb at all. Most surge protectors limit the amout of current an amplifier or receiver is able to draw from an outlet. Several companies make surge protectors/line conditioners that don't limit the current. Panamax and PS Audio are two of them. The protectors that don't limit the current can be expensive though. My PS Audio Ultimate Outlet is a 20 amp version and cost around $350. If I plug my amp into my $50 surge protector I hear a big difference at high volumes. Explosions are compressed and my soundstage on music shrinks. If I plug the amp back into the PS Audio o straight to the outlet my dynamics return and the soundstage grows. At first I though it was just me but even my SPL meter shows a lower db with the cheap surge protector vs the PS Audio or straight to the outlet. I've tried this with the same scene in U571 for instance. It's really a question of protection vs sound qualty. I'd much rahter have the protection, but I does cost a bit.

Dennis B

Stunt Coordinator
Legairre,

My 1075 is plugged into an AC regenerator similar to the P1200. It's nominal capacity is 1100W, and the amp is in standby mode. When I turn it on, sometimes it will and sometimes it won't alarm the regenerator due to overcurrent, so I guess this somehow indicates that the capacitors' charge level varies with time when in standby.

When I don't stay long at night watching/listening to something, it usually alarms next morning. So to avoid this I was leaving it on all times.

The question here is we have to find out from Rotel exactly what happens in standby: what's on, what's off, how much power it consumes, etc.

Dennis

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Educating EARL!!!!

Legairre,

OK, how can you tell what a surge protectors amp limiting current is? I can't find it in the specs. Obviously 72000 amps for spike current is not the one i'm looking for. And 15 amps is just a general rating of the device and clamp volts are 330 and 400. Is there a site that has tested these? Also, if you rcvr is up and running, how much of a factor is it for a 3802?

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
One often overlooked fact is wear and tear on the power transformers used in most of our receivers and amps. After 4 or 5 years, they tend to develope a hum which grows louder over time.

Marty

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Most surge protectors limit the amout of current an amplifier or receiver is able to draw from an outlet. Several companies make surge protectors/line conditioners that don't limit the current. Panamax and PS Audio are two of them. The protectors that don't limit the current can be expensive though.
I observed this to be the opposite, cheap protectors don't limit current, while the more expensive ones might, by design. If we are talking regular MOV type surge protectors, as 99% are, then if you crack them open all the 'over-voltage' circuitry should run parallel to the thick, say 14awg, wire that does not break anywhere while going straight from the wall plug to the 'protected' socket where the equipment is connected. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JackS

Supporting Actor
MacIntosh,SAE and I think Aragon specifically reccomend a straight amp to wall outlet plug-in without the use of surge protectors or line conditioners. I've never used one with an amp and have never had any problems. Knock on wood.

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
MacIntosh,SAE and I think Aragon specifically reccomend a straight amp to wall outlet plug-in without the use of surge protectors or line conditioners. I've never used one with an amp and have never had any problems. Knock on wood.
I would like to know the reason amp manufacturers say this. I don't believe typical surge suppressors limit the current.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
MacIntosh,SAE and I think Aragon specifically reccomend a straight amp to wall outlet plug-in without the use of surge protectors or line conditioners.
I think that is dependent on the quality of the device you're plugging into, and if you inquire directly you may find that they would recommend plugging into this or that Panamax or Tice unit you happen to have also purchased...

Incidentally, I'm in LA and we had two significant power surges in the last week.

Anyway, most high-end amps are intended to be left on. Hence the power switch is often located on the rear of the unit, out of reach. Like on the Odyssey Stratus.

Phil Wyeth

Grip
Just leave an amp on not an AV receiver
Keep in mind kids , I think all this should apply for an amp that has minimal amount of circuitry compared to an AV reciever.
I had an Onkyo 989 that I fried in 4 years, cause I left it on 90% of the time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks