What's new

Should I even use an HTPC? (1 Viewer)

Leo_P

Second Unit
I'm going to take the leap to an HDTV in the near future. If I do set up an HTPC, it'd be for DVD playback and HD OTA tuning (via a myHD card or something similar).
My biggest question, I guess, is how are these things to work with? How are the ergonomics? Do I have to tweak it constantly? Would my girlfriend be able to use it easily? Would I HAVE to use a keyboard and mouse to watch a movie?
Basically, how's the ease-of-use compared to say an HD STB and a stand-alone progressive-scan DVD player?
I'm all for getting the most out of my HT, but I don't want to get an HTPC and have it become my new hobby.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Leo,

the results are great but it isn't a walk in the park. you don't just pop in a movie and hit play, like with a STB. Once you spend time tweaking and getting it working properly, it can become fairly easy. Then it is just a matter of getting a remote control solution setup and day to day operation can be fairly straight forward. It does take a while to work the bugs out though..

Craig

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Don't do it unless you are good with PC's. This is not for novices nor is it user friendly.

It's worth it for me because I want to record, but my fiance is just getting the hang of Tivo and only recently started using Windows, so my HTPC is not something she's going to be able to use. I'm sure an STB is more user friendly, but without the ability to record, it's not worth my time or money.

I don't want to get an HTPC and have it become my new hobby
My previous hobbies were HT and PC, so HTPC is just a convergence of the two. Makes me happy and pull my hair out at the same time.

Leo_P

Second Unit
Thanks for the heads-up, Craig.:emoji_thumbsup:
I'm really just looking at this from my girlfriend's point-of-view. I mean, she's by no means an idiot, but I know she's not gonna be keen if she can't just "pop in a movie and hit play". She's not gonna want to learn "a hundred things to do before watching a DVD" and frankly, neither am I.:b
I might hook up my PC to my TV someday, for sh!ts and giggles, but I don't think the HTPC is for me right now.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Good decision. Unless your new HDTV supports DVI in and recording HD material is important to you I'd hold off on the HTPC. Much tweaking, downloading, patching, hair-pulling is usually involved, even for people who are pretty advanced PC users.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks