What's new

Should I do it? (1 Viewer)

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
I was hoping the war would end before I made a decision, but then I saw a Boxing Week sale at a local store and figured, for $99, I can't really go wrong.

Should I get this?

*edit, I guess I missed the thread right below mine asking pretty much the same question. Oops. haha

How about this one instead.

Also, I have a Panny AE-700 (ceiling mounted) hooked up to my normal DVD player via component cables. How would I best hook up an HD DVD and my old DVD player without having to switch cables every time?

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
Why would you want to run your old DVD player with your new HD DVD player? Just use your new one. It will upconvert you SD DVD's and make them look better than ever. Just use the HD player and the best connection you have available. Preferable HDMI.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The best option for the A3 is HDMI. That way you can upconvert your regular DVD's and watch HD at almost it's best quality. I say almost because you don't have a 1080P display nor does the player support 1080P.

The A3 is a solid player but realize what you are buying and the risks associated with it. I don't want to see people whine if the format they bought into fails. For another $300 you could go neutral and add a BR to mix as well.

I use netflix for the most part to limit my purchases but I'm still buying a ton of movies on both formats. The PQ is addictive.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
So I did it. I'm aware of the risks if BR wins the war. And after I read a little more (before I bought it), I saw that the players were able to play normal DVDs. Looks like my girlfriend just aquired my old player to replace her Walmart garbage I've nearly thrown through her window a few times. lol

Since I already have component cables, is there any difference in image quality between those and HDMI?

I'm also looking at ease of running through walls / ceiling.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator

Same thing happened to me, but I got there at 4am for the 6am opening. First 10 people in line snatched them up. I ended up going to Best Buy and picking it up for $199. Still a good enough deal for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks