What's new

Should I buy this LD player? (1 Viewer)

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
As you can see, a newbie needs help :)
I'm considering buying this LD player - a Pioneer 905, if I retained the model number correctly.
It's for sale for $50 CDN (about $35 US) in a pawnshop - I believe they don't even know what they're selling, the boy at the counter thought it was a CD changer.
Now, I tried two discs in it - Empire Strikes Back (last LD of the Original Trilogy, not the SE) and Firefox. I didn't watch the entire films - can't do that in the store! - but I skimmed through them extensively, back and forth.
With ESB, I saw a bit of occasional crosstalk. The disc is absolutely new and clean. By contrast, I haven't seen any crosstalk with Firefox, although the image is considerably grainier - a mastering problem.
Should I buy the device? I have about 20 LDs, which I want to watch and eventually put on DVD - if they will not become available on DVD before that...
Would crosstalk be a real problem?
Is there anything else I should be wary of?
Do you think it's a good deal?
Thanks in advance!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
For C$50 you can't miss, regardless. If nothing else it can be an interim player if you aren't totally happy with its performance. And you could probably unload it on eBay for more than you paid. You probably spend more than $50 on new DVD releases on any given week. And the better your monitor's comb filter the better the results you'll see from the LD player. Use the composite connection. The Star Wars Trilogy you reference wasn't that good of a transfer in my opinion. There are cleaner copies out there that will give you a better idea of the player's performance.
It's a small gamble to go with this player.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Well look at it this way... it's $50 or a night out at the flicks and dinner. You can probably live with a few imperfections :)
Find out how old it is. That's probably most important. Remember a poor TV can make the best LD player look bad.
Does it have remote, auto-flip, ac3-rf, s-video?
T.

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it's missing the remote and no, it's not auto-reverse. Otherwise, it seems to be relatively recent: peak search, random play, direct key functions. Oh, and it doesn't have a S-VHS output or AC3, either... By the looks of it (damn, I lost the piece of paper with the model number on it!) Pretty basic. My guess would be around 1995.
The thing I'm most concerned with is the possibility of crosstalk getting worse. Is that a chance?
[Edited last by AnitaPeterson on November 06, 2001 at 08:48 AM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Crosstalk is usually caused by a warped disc (even a slight warp) or a badly aligned laser pickup. The alignment can be sorted out by a good engineer, but you'll have to pay a few $$$ for it. If that's the cause, it might be worth giving the player an overall maintenance check at the same time.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I may not be correct but I think you're looking at a mid-80s model. Very old machine, probably not worth the $50 they're asking.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of very old LD players...
I am not sure if this is crosstalk but on my first LD player (1980's vintage and long since resold) any disk with digital audio was sprinkled with very thin dark horizontal lines about one inch long, very obtrusive in color patches of red or yellow. THey would flash here and there.
I would pass up a player with any visible defect you see right away.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on November 06, 2001 at 11:47 AM]

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I bit the bullet and got it. It's a Pioneer CLD-990, made in 1991. I watched a whole disc last night ("The Money Pit") and all works just fine. Looks like a winner to me.
Thanks for your help, advice and links!

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Anita,
You mentioned it didn't have a remote. Pioneer seems to use the same control codes for all of its video players, so even a remote from one of their DVD players will provide most of the functionality. Any of their LD remotes will add the ability to select either of the analog tracks individually, which is necessary for Criterion discs with commentary tracks or for disabling the AC-3 track on some more recent LDs.
Have fun!
------------------
Selden

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You mentioned it didn't have a remote. Pioneer seems to use the same control codes for all of its video players, so even a remote from one of their DVD players will provide most of the functionality. Any of their LD remotes will add the ability to select either of the analog tracks individually, which is necessary for Criterion discs with commentary tracks or for disabling the AC-3 track on some more recent LDs.
As someone who has had a Pioneer LD and DVD player in the same room for a while, I can definitively state that this information is false. The combo players use the DVD codes for LD playback, but otherwise the LD IR command set is completely different than the DVD command set.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

AnitaPeterson

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for bringing out the remote question. Do you have any knowledge of where I can get one?
A possibility would be to use a "universal" remote, providing that they make them compatible with LD players as well. I have the Sony RM - V401, and although I tried all the DVD codes for it, they weren't recognized.
Do you know of any universal remote brand or model that would be able to operate this LD player?
Thank you for your help.
I'm glad I got the player...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Anita, why don't you call some local repair shops and see if they have remotes from dead players. Maybe you could snag an Elite or CLD-704 remote with shuttle and backlighting. Every Pioneer player I've had, which is atleast a baker's dozen had the same remote codes. A preprogramed remote might stille be lacking a key button or two? You need to be able to switch thru the various soundtracks. You need that button or you're locked out of commentaries or alternate language tracks.
Preprogramed remotes like one I once had, which I think was a 1 For All, didn't operate that button. That convinced me of the merits of programable remote, anyway...
I had a CLD-990 briefly. I got it cheap at Walmart. Yes, Walmart had CLD-980's and CLD-990's way back when...1992 or 1993. I used it for about six weeks and decided I wanted a better player. I gave it to my parents. It didn't perform all that well for them. It refused to read some sides of some discs, the bitch!
Anyway, they eventully gave it to a friend to use as a CD player and inherited a CLD-52 from me....Uuh back to the point, the repair people could never adjust our 990 right. One told me it had a lousy design and was difficult to service. Two different places couldn't do much with it.
If your's develops a problem, drop kick it and get a newer player. There is a web site that sells used remotes out there too. I can't think of it's name momentarily...somebody help me here... Best wishes from Laserland!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...in a democracy it don't matter how stupid you are you stille get an equal share..."
I survived the AFI top 100 Film Challenge! I've seen them all.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I once had a Yamaha DVD player (for only 3 days because it had a whole slew of problems playing dts tracks) and I found the basic functions of the remote would work my Yamaha LD player. It was cute for about 5 minutes then became annoying when I'd power up the DVD player and the LD player would power up too.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I had a CLD-990 briefly. I got it cheap at Walmart. Yes, Walmart had CLD-980's and CLD-990's way back when...1992 or 1993. I used it for about six weeks and decided I wanted a better player. I gave it to my parents. It didn't perform all that well for them. It refused to read some sides of some discs, the bitch!
Wal-Mart? Here? In Knoxville?? In the armpit of the Not-so-Great Smoggy Mountains?? I'm stunned.... truly stunned.
eek.gif

------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Yes Jerry here! They had CLD-980's for $199 and CLD-990's for $219 which was a spectacular deal at the time. I know sevral people who got their first LD player at Walmart. Jerry, it'll make you feel better to know that Walmart never sold disc one, si? Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...in a democracy it don't matter how stupid you are you stille get an equal share..."
I survived the AFI top 100 Film Challenge! I've seen them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks