Subtitles cut-off on new Sony LCD TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nelson Au, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Quick question regarding how subtitles should appear. I am about to buy a new Panasonic 50" plasma display. In the interum, I bought a new Sony LCD 23" LCD.

Whilst watching some anamorphic material; Star Trek Enterprise, Battlestar Galactica (2004 version), Revenge of the Sith and Titanic, I would occassionally turn on subtitles so I can read dialogue that's not clear. What I noticed was that the subtitles are cut off on the bottom of the screen.

I have a Pioneer Elite DVD/LD player DVL-91, an oldie, but a goodie. It is set to output anamorphic material and the Sony automatically re-formats to display it in the proper zoom. Perhaps this player displays subtitles this way and that's the way it is. I plan to upgrade to a new DVD player, but I was just curious if this is not the way with newer players.

Thanks. Nelson

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Try adjusting the aspect ratio choice on the TV.

Does your player offer any choice of where to put the subtitles? With most anamorphic programs the subtitles have to be in the picture as opposed to below.

Is your player in 4:3 letterbox mode or 16:9 mode? The 4:3 letterbox mode allows subtitles to go below the picture but the picture itself has less resolution.

Does the TV have any zoom choices? Some of the more upscale TV's have several zoom choices so you can leave just enough room for subtitles.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Nelson Au

The player is in 16:9 mode and the subtitles are appearing below the image. If I zoom out, I can see all the subtitles as if I was watching on a 4:3 TV. Though the image no longer goes from edge to edge on the left and right sides, and this is not the right mode I think.

I'll check to see if the player gives me the choice to place the subtitles in the picture, that's a good tip!

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    It sounds like the image is being "zoomed" when it should really be "stretched" horizontally. There should be a mode called something like "full" or "fill" on the TV that will display everything correctly. One clue that you are zooming rather than properly displaying the anamorphic image is that things will still look tall and thin. Are you sure you're talking about anamorphic discs? This sort of thing is common on letterboxed titles that put the subs in the "dead" black bar area below the picture, or even overlap between the image and the letterbox bar.

Regards,

Joe

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

There are a few movies where subtitles are permanently burned into the black area under the picture and most of these movies are not really anamorphic. You would still use the 16:9 mode on your player but you would need the 4:3 mode or a zoom out mode on your TV leaving black on all 4 sides.

6. Nelson Au

Thanks Joseph and Allan-

I suspect it's the player. The output from it is 16:9 and when an anamorphic disc is played, the TV auto resets the zoom and the image looks correct. I've tried Revenge of the Sith and to check if the image is correctly displayed, there is a scene when a ship approaches a planet, there is a large moon in orbit, it appears perfectly round. When I try other zoom modes, it will appear flattened, top to bottom, not the other way around where everything looks tall and thin.

I've also played the new Titanic DVD where the image will go from 4:3 to full on 16:9 mode once the TV or player detects the anamorphic source. The same with the Star Trek Enterprise season sets. All these discs have the subtitles appear below the image in the black areas. I'll experiement more this weekend.