What's new

Should I buy Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX or 47TX? Need your responses by Monday....please. (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
After a lot of research, I've decided to upgrade from my Yamaha RX-V2095 to either the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX or the 47TX. I know the 49TX offers the LCD touchpad remote, component video switching, advanced MCACC calibration and a couple of other upgrades, but is it really worth the extra $750 I would have to pay over the 47TX? I spoke with Scott at soundpros and he told me that if you sat down and A/B'd the 2 receivers with the same material you probably wouldn't be able to tell any difference sound-wise(which is the most important selling point for me). He did, however, try to convince me the 49 was worth the extra money for all of the features mentioned above. I don't mind spending the extra $750 for the 49TX if it is a much better unit, but I would rather use that money for other upgrades if the 47 sounds equally good. I don't really care about the remote or component video switching to be perfectly honest. I'm just wondering if anyone in here had the same dilemma choosing between the 49TX and 47TX. If so, which did you go with and why? I'm going to make my purchase on Monday and if anyone could respond before then and help my decision process it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Oh, by the way, to owners of either of these units--do you use one subwoofer or two in your system? I'm currently running one with the Yamaha, but I've thought about upgrading to dual subs. Is it worth it or will one suffice?

Josh_Z

Agent
I would get the 49 based on the fact that you can adjust the Equilizer paramaters after MCACC measurements have been taken. Also, the 49 will be upgradable and the 47 will not, when the Firewire DVD-A and SACD becomes available.

The 45 is also starting to ship. It offers the same MCACC system minus a few EQ bands. If power was a concern, you could get an audiophile amp and add it to the 45 and still have money left over.

I heard the 45 alone and it was pretty impressive for 1200 dollars MSRP.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I would also get the 49. It was reviewed in SGHT and the reviewer said it had the guts and power of the B&K 307 and the upper delicacy of the Denon 5803.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Josh makes a good point being able to adjust the MCACC is a big advantage (you will most likely want to change the EQ settings of MCACC a little bit) . I have one sub connected to my 49tx, I can't really tell you whether you need an extra sub because I've never heard you system. What are you going to have hooked up to your new receiver? I went with the 49tx or 47tx
because of better MCACC
more opt inputs
component conversion
more processing power
better DAC's
better build quality
I would get the 49tx if I were you.

RajeeK

Second Unit
I too would choose the 49. I really like the video conversion feature that it provides. It is a simple component hookup into your TV and acts as a wonderful video switcher. Look at it this way. Your spending so much anyway, you don't want any regrets in the future. Pay the extra amount now and sleep easy at night later.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
To offer an alternate viewpoint, I went with the 47TX. The LCD remote was of no interest to me (I have a Marantz RC2000 MKII universal remote), I did not need the video conversion feature, and I find the MCACC settings of the 47TX work well in my room. The unit is well-constructed, has more than enough amp power for my room, and had enough a/v inputs for my needs. It sounds wonderful paired with my B&W 600 Series speakers.

Both receivers are great components. Only you can decide if the added features of the 49TX is worth the extra cost over the 47TX in your system. In my case, the cost was not worth it. I spent more on the 47TX than I had originally intended, and did not want to blow my budget even more with the 49TX. I was comparing the 47TX to the Denon 4802, and the Pioneer won hands down.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Please buy the 49 and give us a report. This looks like the machine to buy. I love my 3802, but the 49tx looks assume.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
actually, i'd hold off for another couple of weeks and go with the '49TXi. i think the added firewire input is worth the wait.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I agree with Josh_Z about the 45. Its a great receiver for the money and you could invest your extra money in high end amps.

Mike

Dan Seliger

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the 47TX and I love it! The sound this thing produces blows away the 37TX i had previously. The auto-calibration is awesome!!

If you you arent really into the fine-tuning that the 49TX offers and you dont need the up-conversion to component then i would just go with the 47TX.

I have Klipsch Reference speakers all around and after the auto-calibration the system sounded awesome!

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've had the 49TX since April and absolutely love it. Great unit - I'm going to start using the multizone capabilities soon. I found it was worth the money for the upgrade for the component video conversion and the better MCACC.

If I were buying now, I might wait for the TXi though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks