What's new

Should I buy a RPTV now or wait? (1 Viewer)

Dave J.R.

Auditioning
After lurking around, it's time for my first post/question.

After a couple of days of research on TV's, I am set on the Hitachi 51SWX20B RPTV. I currently have a JVC 27" D Series TV so it would be a very nice upgrade for me. Don't get me wrong, the 27" is a very nice set, except I have a very impressive Audio side to my home theater and I think the audio is very BIG, but the video experience is what is lacking. So my question is not "is this a good TV?"........rather I want to know if now is a good time to buy an HDTV. I don't want to have this TV be sub-standard 1 or 2 years from now because it is a lot of money that I do not want to throw away. My father is waiting for the "next-gen" of HDTV's before he jumps on the band wagon but he already has a 35" TV. He suggested that I should do the same because of "new-technology" coming out in less than a year that will be far superior to todays sets.
So I am here asking for a second opinion from you fine folks. Should I buy now or should I wait because something revolutionary (but probably extremely expensive) is coming around the corner?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Chris AD

Auditioning
TVs are in a time of rapid evolution. Plasma prices appear to be dropping daily. DLP RPTVs are just being introduced. No doubt whatever you buy tody will be obsolete tomorrow, just like your computer is obsolete the day after you buy. Nonetheless, the technology today is better than ever, so it's also a great time to buy. I'm in the same boat with you. I also have a 27" JVC, a very nice analog set. I'm trying to decide, as you are, whether to wait or buy now. I've been considering getting one of the new DLP RPTVs now being introduced. They have good viewing angles, good viewing in daylight, are very light (80 lbs. for 50"), have no burn-in problems at all, and are fully digital.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Technology may be in transition, but all the ATSC specifications are in place. What you will be seeing is performance improvements in various categories. Except for the issue of connectivity and copy-protection, what you purchase today won't necessarily be "obsolete" next year. That, and given how prices are falling, makes now an excellent time to purchase an ATSC-based RPTV.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have a mits 65 inch wide screen tv with is hd ready it is a sweet tv and the prive was great for the size if you get a hd-ready tv you will be set for the next 5-10 years if you dont want to upgrade to a front projector but i would stay away from plasma they have a life of 3-5 years befor they go dead the next gen of rp is dlp and plasma will not last they have this sweet new meteral that will be even beter than plasma but i would recomend just getting a hd-ready tv and dont get a decoder for a few years

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
If you have the money...get it now. Why wait? Prices are always going to drop and you are always going to get that six month kick, where you'll say "If I had just waited six months...". Well, you can wait but you'll be missing six months of more DVD enjoyment. What's that saying? Life is for living.

Bruce

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Hitachi you're considering has DVI connections, so is about as future-proof as you're going to find right now.

CRT based HD-ready sets have reached a point of maturity where a lot of if not all the issues of the early sets, like incompatibility with some progressive dvd players, odd flash-outs, locking in full with 480p, etc. have been resolved.
Most any set today will work with any dvd player and any HD STB, with a high degree of reliability.

If the money isn't a problem now, go for it. Having way better audio than display capability (or vice-versa) is pretty frustrating.

The 27 inch sets are really nice, but if ya already have the sound it's time to get the big picture to match.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
My folks just got the 51SWX20B & I must say I am quite jealous-the picture is fantastic!

Dave J.R.

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies! I knew that the Hitachi I am looking at has DVI but what would I use the DVI port for? I have a Sony 18.1" LCD monitor for my PC that has DVI input so is it basically for output from a PC?? Right now I am strapped for the cash, but I may try to sell some things to help save up for this TV.

Another thing that surprised me is the difference with how this TV looked different at one store than another. I went to CC and I thought it looked like crap and I thought all of the people that praised the Hitachi were nuts.......then I saw the set at another store (where I bought my 27" JVC) and it looked AWESOME!!! I just couldn't believe the difference. I guess CC doesn't tune them up for floor display.

Dave

Chet Hayes

Agent
I would suggest you start by reviewing your viewing habits and what you expect to use the new TV for. I've been in a similar process for the last month.

In my case, I watch mostly cable, with an occasional DVD. While I was initially all excited and ready to buy a 50" RPTV, I realized there is a very limited amount of HDTV programming and even less that I can actually receive here at my home. (no HD cable, no NBC, ABC OTA from NY, sat shot blocked, etc) You should also evaluate what programs are on these HD channels too. For example, I saw the Olympics being rebroadcast on HD-Net. It looks awesome, however I'm not sure how much content there is on HD-Net that I would personally watch.

I finally determined that with all the tradeoffs and costs, it just doesn't make sense for me to buy a HDTV ready TV. It would make sense if I watched enough DVD's, but I don't. So, I'm likely going to buy a 36" std TV for $750. In a couple of years, hopefully, there will be enough programming available for it to make sense for me. By then the technology will improve, I'll get a built in tuner, etc. and a far better value proposition. In essence, I wind up getting the TV I'm buying today for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks