What's new

720P FP now, or wait? (1 Viewer)

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator
I can get a great deal on a Sanyo Z4 right now. Under 2k CAD with taxes and shipping and it even includes an EXTRA new bulb. Its native 720p and has gotten great reviews and Im very tempted to get into FP land. I currently have a 3 year old 47" CRT RPTV which Im not longer so fond of because I want something bigger. The AE900 is out because Im in Canada and we don't have the deals you guys do over in the 'States.

But the question is whether I should just wait. The technology is moving so fast and pretty soon, 1080p FP will be available to the masses. I imagine in 2 years you will be able to get a 1080p FP at close to this price point, probably not much more.

Do I wait?

But on the other hand, I can buy the Sanyo now, use it for 2 years and sell at the end with the new bulb and recover maybe a grand, then use it towards the 1080p. I might spend a little more this way but I will get to enjoy FP now.

It just feels like a terrific deal. Do you think there'll be a similar deal next summer when the next generation of FPs are out?

Comments? Thoughts? Wait or pull the trigger? Thanks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That does sound like a nice deal. How much is that in U.S. dollars? There will always be a "better" projector in the near future coming out. I would buy now or wait until Sept/Oct. I think I read the new Sanyo Z5 will be out then. Then the Z4 will be even cheaper.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Why not buy the 'Z4 now and keep it for a few years past when the "better" projector you are dreaming of today finally appears?

You are seriously considring replacing your present (RP)TV because it is getting jittery (i.e. old in the crotchety sense). Perfectly good reason to upgrade. If you think your "better dream projector" will appear in 2 years, keep your 'Z4 for four years. By then the projector you dreamed of today will be cheap enough you won't mind buying it as a stopgap until the projector you are dreaming of then becomes available.

This way you can enjoy something somewhat better right now and not spend all outdoors so many times in quick succession.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I think the Sanyo PLV-Z4 and Panasonic PT-AE900U are great 720p LCD projectors and I think you should go ahead and buy now if you are happy with the performance. Something better will be available for the same money or something as good for less money soon, that is a near certainty. How much better and what value you place on being able to use a projector in the interim are the factors you need to consider.

Chris

Stevecatch

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Catch
That's a pretty good deal after taxes. Really, if you are holding out for something better, keep in mind that there is always something better "just around the corner."

Considering there hasn't been any official confirmations of 1080p projectors being released that are going to be inexpensive, I'd say you are safe to take this deal here. Just be sure that you have thought about all the other aspects of switching from an RPTV to a projector.

This might also be a good plan just because even if there were 1080p projectors out there that were inexpensive, you probably wouldn't want to be an early adopter of new technology. If you think you can properly use that Z4, then I'd say to take it and let the dust settle for any controversial new technologies.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Dave, I just read that review and it sounds great. He says it's the best projector using Dark Chip 2 he's seen yet. The offset is too much for my low ceiling though.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Too bad. We had the h57 with virtually the same offset in a cabinet a foot off of the floor. Won't have to change the settup at all...

:)

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting comments.

What if I went with a DLP, say the Optoma HD72 or the BenQ 7700? How does the Sanyo stack up?

The reviews I've read seem to say that a DLP would have better black detail but doesn't go as bright overall. And that the DLP is more film-like.

What are your real-world experiences on this?

Stevecatch

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Catch
You probably wouldn't notice a difference between DLP and a LCD projector. The previous short-comings of both, either the Rainbow Effect or Screen Door Effect have been really improved on so as not to be as noticeable anymore. But when you compare the details side-by-side, it's pretty clear that the Z4 has a lot of listed advantages over the PE7700 or the HD72. Not to say that either of those is a bad projector, but it's hard to go up against the Z4 which is one of the best projectors out there. As an added bonus, the Z4 you mentioned is also cheaper than those other two.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I think you are the only person that could decide whether you prefer LCD or DLP. I think both are acceptable and the differences in picture minimal now. I have only owned LCD.

Chris

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
My Mits is "on the truck for delivery!" a day early! And i gotta go to work soon! ARGH!!!!!!

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator

Hahahaha! I've been reading through the 720p FP archives and there is one thing that has stood out.

I love how every single one of Dave's post is about himself and completely off-topic. This is true of all his posts in the archive and on AVS as well.

You sure are one interesting character! :)

Back on topic,

The DLP versus LCD 720p decision appears to be rather difficult. At this price point, LCD is much, much more flexible in placement with big zooms and big lens shifts. DLPs on the other hand have little zoom and no lens shift. But apparently the real-world contrast of the DLPs are noticeably better, especially blacks. The iris gimmickry can only do so much for LCD and the performance depends heavily on the viewing material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks