What's new
World Wide Stereo

Goodbye Philips LCOS, Hello Front Projection... (1 Viewer)

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Those of you that are not familiar with my Philips LCOS posts, you can go here... My Original Post

After the recall of the 55PL977S, GoodGuys told me to hold on to the set I have and it will be replaced (by them or Philips)...that was the first week of October. It took them to the first week of December to get me a replacement (RE-release / "fixed" set). I received it on a Tuesday, and called GoodGuys on Saturday to come pick it up and a full refund. The new set looked worse! (By the way, my first set looked fine except for the Purple Spots -which is what was suppose to be fixed)

From Tuesday to Saturday, I tried everything I could imagine to get a decent picture out of the set. I've Calibrated (DVE 2003) and adjusted till my fingers were numb. What surprised me more than anything, was the fact that when fed with a 720p DVI source, I got green shapes in solid "blacks"...and Blacks were way off from my older set to begin with. I noticed an even softer image than what should be expected from a LCOS set.

Non-HD (component) sources looked horrible, Skin tones looked "Tanned" and off. When bring up the menus, I noticed that the green in the overlay was shimmering (unlike the old set) and missing portions of the shapes. There was also a noticeable "bright-spot" that they dimmed somehow, but gave off a light green glow when dark scenes were on screen.

So, between the things listed above and the LONG wait for the "fixed" pl9773, I just gave up on Philips and their LCOS. So now I'm going FP with the new Sanyo Z2 that I just ordered. For less that half the price and more than twice the Screen size....hell why not?!

Mind you, I haven't ruled out the fact that it just could have been my set. The constant waiting and frustration just got the best of me.

One other note: I've noticed that LCOS is really a Vidoephile dream with its "Soft and Natural" image. If you want High Contrast and a Sharp image, look elsewhere. This is also true with the recently viewed Mitsubishi 81" LCOS. I saw it and saw a typical LCOS image....Very beautiful, Very Natural, soft and in this case VERY EXPENSIVE! ($21,000)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DuWayne

Stunt Coordinator
Just recieved my Z2...while I'm abou to put in DVE 2003, I thought I'll put up a real quick post.....

IT'S GREAT!

As my throw is 13-1/2', I was worried about a degrade in quality. Well worry no more.... I have a beautiful 102"x57" (117') picture. As it is, I am just using my White (textured) wall. I plan on getting a screen, but may be moving soon, so I may hold off as I know I may not have the same space. I can't begin to imagin how a great picture will get even better once I do by a screen!

More to come after I play a little. My manager has my Camera, so I will pics next week some time.

Happy New Year!

Quick Edit: I noticed that the zoom was set high a little by default so I turned the zoom all the way down. So now I have the 106" screen I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks