What's new

Shiva Sonotube Kit? Wow! (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Tan,

Even if you were to get the kit with the Shiva, you could easily sell the driver quickly - since they are so popular.

Now, regarding the 20Hz tuning point, I guess we'll all have to "stay tuned" on that one - no pun intended. :) - However, such a sub with a driver @ $299 is wonderful. :)

AllanRW

Second Unit
Yes price is very very competitive.
But the idea was a tube kit that the average person can build with little or no special tools.

Think it was done.
Now just get the veneered ones done and up.
Test data will be done later this week.
Then data will be put in the PDF along with graphs.

Al

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Alan:

You've got some good feedback. The one thing I would add is another product: a Tempest kit! Also, consider larger diameters for shorter enclosures - always remember the Spousal Approval Factor - I think a much shorter, even though larger diameter enclosure might be better able to pass the SAF test. Keep up the good work!;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

For the Tempest kit, I was thinking something along the lines of ...

"Build your ultimate infinite baffle subwoofer in one Saturday afternoon with our bumpin' I.B. kit. $600 includes: (2) Tempest drivers, a dedicated "pro" power amp with 200 watts per channel and utilizes convection cooling - no fans, and finally, some additional nails for you to secure your studs with in order to reduce unnecessary vibrations." :D :D

AllanRW

Second Unit
Thanks for the kind words Hank.
Yes was my Idea but Bob did all the documentation and getting the CNC done,Dan measurments and we got a smoker tube kit.
Ya Tempest you never know.
Now TUMULT we are talking.
This you never know:D

Al

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Well this isinteresting. So let me know if I have this right. A complete passive sonotube for $299US. If I add an amp, that will cost $150-$300. So for about $500 I can have a great sub. I can't wait to see the specs.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Daniel,

Actually, they are going to have an option with the kit that will allow you to attach a plate amp to the tube via a small box made out of MDF. Like you, I can't wait to see the upcoming numbers on this little beast.

Al,

I made a comment earlier about protecting the Shiva driver during installation. However, I mounted a few Shiva drivers in boxes today and realized the cork (?) seal on the face is quite thick and should pretty much keep a screwdriver from jumping while turning the screws and puncturing the driver.

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, the first thing I thought when I saw this was "ok how long until the Tempest" (:

at only $25 more for the driver, and a couple cubes of vertical (not footprint) space, I've never been able to think about getting a Shiva instead of the Temp. Granted tho, in this case, you'll probably need a wider tube. But still, $25 for the increased swept volume is a pretty cheap upgrade! I'll be keepin' my eye out for it.

AllanRW

Second Unit
I have not got the final results back from Adire yet.I was just there and Dan has limited time but we will get the data asap.
Tuning to be 20hz and Dan was stunned at the assembly methods.
"(ok now anyone can assemble on of these)"
We will get the data posted as soon as all the tests are finished.

Tempest in a tube will require a lot more than you think.
All new CNC lay out,new caps ect.
And when you have to have all these pieces done at 100-200 you have to move them or have a lot of storage.
Lets get the first one off and going first.

Al

AllanRW

Second Unit
The frequency response was measured at a nominal 94 dB SPL (4W input).
The THD was measured at 94 dB SPL, and is 1/12th octave spaced from 16 Hz to
actual 10% THD SPL limits at the significant frequencies
16 Hz: 84 dB SPL
20 Hz: 95 dB SPL
25 Hz: 105 dB SPL
32 Hz: 113 dB SPL
40 Hz: 115 dB SPL
50 Hz: 113 dB SPL
62 Hz: 113 dB SPL

The impedance shows the tuning to be spot-on to 20 Hz, and it's a well
damped alignment

The graphs will get loaded in the AM
Thanks Al

DavidM

Auditioning
Looks like a cool product.

Allan, Would you mind please telling me were you get the fabric sock from? I have searched all over for a sock to fit a 16"tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks