What's new

Sherlock Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I searched and found no thread, so here goes.

We watched Episode 1 last night. My wife and I thought it maintained the high quality of the series and enjoyed it very much.
We were upset that Mary died. I thought her character was fitting quite nicely into the show and we enjoyed here very much.

A serious episode with lots of humor.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Never seen these shows in my life, but our PBS stations and BBCA are suddenly running almost everything. I'm still finishing up shows from 2012, trying to stay in order so will be a while. It's wonderful, wish I'd known about this years ago.

It's just so confusing because they're showing up as "Sherlock", "Masterpiece Mystery!" and "Sherlock on Masterpiece", different titles, different descriptions, different original air dates, yet they're repeats of one you just watched. <_<

The PBS ones are great, no commercials.

The new stuff is on the DVR, I'll catch up in a week or two. Also taking up space are repeats of "The Last Ship", so I go back and forth.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found the premiere episode overly busy with distracting shifts in tone. Watson's declaration at the end was tiresome and dramatically manipulative as if it were Sherlock's fault for what happened (and they've already gone this route when Watson was irked with Sherlock for faking his death, and it took the season for him to forgive him). Even with the death, I doubt we've seen the last of the character (Moriarty seems to keep popping up in flashbacks, nightmares, etc.). The character was never one of my favorites (see accompanying reviews of the series on disc) and monopolized the stories since being introduced far more than the accompanying character in the books ever did.

That said, of course, it was still very entertaining and I look forward very much to the remaining two installments.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Mark Gatiss is not my favorite TV writer, even though he is probably my favorite Mycroft Holmes. I do like his "Sherlock" episodes more than his "Doctor Who" episodes, though.

Because of the rather unique three TV movies at a time format, it's tough for them to do ongoing narrative arcs. Based on where things were left at the end of Series 3 (and only marginally moved forward by the 2015 Christmas Special), this opener had a lot on its list to accomplish.

With regard to the big shocker:
I'm actually happy that they took Mary out of the equation. The heart of the show is Holmes and Watson solving mysteries together, and Mary was an obstacle to the bromance. And I really thought Martin Freeman knocked it out of the park with Mary's death scene. You could feel his rage and despair through the TV screen.

It's just so confusing because they're showing up as "Sherlock", "Masterpiece Mystery!" and "Sherlock on Masterpiece", different titles, different descriptions, different original air dates, yet they're repeats of one you just watched. <_<
It's the way the show is made. Masterpiece (owned by WGBH Boston, the most important PBS affiliate in America) co-produces "Sherlock" with BBC One in the UK. PBS affiliates around the country then license the right to air "Masterpiece" as a TV program, which includes a variety of shows, TV movies etc. produced, co-produced or distributed by Masterpiece, including "Sherlock".

Watson's declaration at the end was tiresome and dramatically manipulative as if it were Sherlock's fault for what happened (and they've already gone this route when Watson was irked with Sherlock for faking his death, and it took the season for him to forgive him).
I thought the episode did a pretty good job setting up the conflict:
Sherlock made a big deal throughout about his vow to keep her safe. And then, not only did he invite her into the lion's den, he couldn't stop himself from continually poking the lion with a stick. Mary saw what was happening with his goading of a very unstable woman and tried to warn him, but Sherlock's nature wouldn't let him stop. None of which changes the fact that Vivian was the one who pulled the trigger and Mary was the one who chose to throw herself into the line of fire, an act that Sherlock clearly did not anticipate. But it does explain John's anger. I also think John's projecting some of his own guilt and shame for his flirtation with the woman on the bus onto Sherlock.
I do hope that it doesn't take until the last five minutes of the third episode to mend the rift, especially since we don't know when (or if) there will be a fifth series.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I found the premiere episode overly busy with distracting shifts in tone. Watson's declaration at the end was tiresome and dramatically manipulative as if it were Sherlock's fault for what happened (and they've already gone this route when Watson was irked with Sherlock for faking his death, and it took the season for him to forgive him). Even with the death, I doubt we've seen the last of the character (Moriarty seems to keep popping up in flashbacks, nightmares, etc.). The character was never one of my favorites (see accompanying reviews of the series on disc) and monopolized the stories since being introduced far more than the accompanying character in the books ever did.

That said, of course, it was still very entertaining and I look forward very much to the remaining two installments.

OMG, thanks for the spoiler alert :laugh: Just kidding. I like shows, even knowing what may be coming up. Since I'm about four years behind, no problem. Looking forward to Sherlock faking his death. I could definitely do without Moriarty, even losing Mycroft would be nice. Very annoying characters, but I suppose they're part of the original history from Doyle's writings.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
OMG, thanks for the spoiler alert :laugh: Just kidding. I like shows, even knowing what may be coming up. Since I'm about four years behind, no problem. Looking forward to Sherlock faking his death. I could definitely do without Moriarty, even losing Mycroft would be nice. Very annoying characters, but I suppose they're part of the original history from Doyle's writings.

Sorry, but I think you should prepare for a lot of surprises ruined if you continue reading about season four when you haven't seen all the other episodes.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about it Matt; Stan was definitely joking. I don't think I've ever encountered someone LESS bothered by television spoilers. He has spoiled countless shows that he's behind on by reading (and participating in) HTF threads, going back as far as I can remember.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about it Matt; Stan was definitely joking. I don't think I've ever encountered someone LESS bothered by television spoilers. He has spoiled countless shows that he's behind on by reading (and participating in) HTF threads, going back as far as I can remember.
Even "Titanic". Just watched it and was shocked by the ending. :rolling-smiley:

Not sure why, but knowing the ending, even with silly stuff like "Survivor", I'm fine. It's fun to watch what happens, building up to the zinger, knowing what's going to occur.

A few things I haven't ruined yet, like "Spectre" and "Star Wars; The Force Awakens". Always a bit behind, wait until they hit HBO or some other channel.

If somebody slips and tells me James Bond dies, I'll be pissed :D

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Having re-watched the entire series this past week, I'm almost convinced there is something "strange" going on with the timeline and/or Sherlock as an unreliable narrator. We've already seen hints of this in The Abominable Bride and the other tours through the mind palaces.

Notably, in each episode following The Reichenbach Fall, characters are repeating certain lines of dialogue. For instance, Mrs. Hudson says Watson leaving the flat is "the end of an era." Mycroft later says this exact turn of phrase, even though it's quite of character for him. Sherlock is in the former scene, but not the later. There are other examples--I think one per episode--of a character repeated an "out of character" line; one scene will include Sherlock: the other will not. Coupled with the reveal that Sherlock is now seeing a psychiatrist, perhaps some of the previous episodes are being recounted?

Additionally, and especially curious, is the fact that The Six Thatchers was already recognized as a case years ago on the official Dr. Watson blog. The first version of the case included something being stuffed inside a Thatcher bust, and someone going around London smashing the busts trying to find the hidden item. While the blog has all but been abandoned (that sort of viral marketing has generally fallen away), it's still up there for viewing. In a show so carefully constructed, I'm not sure we can chalk this up to error.

There are also a number of interesting instances of foreshadow, including reference to Magnussen as a shark in His Last Vow, perhaps foreshadowing the shark tank in The Six Thatchers.

Lastly, any thought as to the significance of the "13" on Mycroft's fridge at the end of The Six Thatchers? Possible reference to the 13th scenario Sherlock and Mycroft contemplated could arise out of Sherlock's rooftop meeting with Moriarty? It was revealed that each plan had a number and a code name (e.g. Lazarus), but this is the best thought I've had.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Again, a very loud and busy episode, but the payoff climactic revelations were stupendous and caught me by surprise. Anyone who's read Doyle's "The Dying Detective" shouldn't have been surprised by Holmes' set-up, but others may have been taken by surprise.

The Mary intrusions got to be irritating for me by the end.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the Telegraph saw fit to make the big shocking reveal in the last scene of tonight's "Sherlock" a headline on the front page of its website, hours before the US airing. Since I don't share Stan's proclivity for spoilers, I thought that was a real dick move.

So having that huge spoiler on my mind, I anticipated a few of the other big interlocking twists -- especially when it was clear that the woman who showed up at 221B Baker Street was not the same actress who played Culverton's daughter in the opening sequence.

In spite of that disappointment -- I will have to be more careful next week! -- I found this entry to be an altogether more enjoyable affair. The main thing is that it involved a) a genuine mystery, albeit one that was solved fairly early in the running time; and b) centered around the relationship between Holmes and Watson, which is where the heart of the show resides.

And Mrs. Hudson is an absolute rock star.

With regard to that big spoilerific reveal:
The feint with Sherrinford was to be expected, since the show hates to do what the audience expects it to do. I was kind of rooting for Sherlock's secret sister to be named Enola, though, since Nancy Springer's young adult series about the 14-year-old heroine is probably the most well known theoretic Holmes sister. But that undoubtedly would have involved securing rights to the name, since Springer's series is still under copyright, and it's much easier/cheaper to just invent a new name.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the Telegraph saw fit to make the big shocking reveal in the last scene of tonight's "Sherlock" a headline on the front page of its website, hours before the US airing. Since I don't share Stan's proclivity for spoilers, I thought that was a real dick move.

So having that huge spoiler on my mind, I anticipated a few of the other big interlocking twists -- especially when it was clear that the woman who showed up at 221B Baker Street was not the same actress who played Culverton's daughter in the opening sequence.

In spite of that disappointment -- I will have to be more careful next week! -- I found this entry to be an altogether more enjoyable affair. The main thing is that it involved a) a genuine mystery, albeit one that was solved fairly early in the running time; and b) centered around the relationship between Holmes and Watson, which is where the heart of the show resides.

And Mrs. Hudson is an absolute rock star.

With regard to that big spoilerific reveal:
The feint with Sherrinford was to be expected, since the show hates to do what the audience expects it to do. I was kind of rooting for Sherlock's secret sister to be named Enola, though, since Nancy Springer's young adult series about the 14-year-old heroine is probably the most well known theoretic Holmes sister. But that undoubtedly would have involved securing rights to the name, since Springer's series is still under copyright, and it's much easier/cheaper to just invent a new name.

Thanks for the spoiler alert, I'm a bit behind but want to go into the new season not really knowing things.

Did you know when you "reply" to a post, the entire spoiler becomes unspoiled? it's just there in plain text. Thankfully saw it immediately and averted my eyes, yet when you post, it goes back to "spoiler". Strange.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Loved this episode. Great payoff for the video Mary prepared for Sherlock. And easily some of the best acting for Freeman and Cumberbatch ever. Only one more to go. Sigh.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Really liking these as I catch up. Thankfully Cumberbatch started speaking a little more slowly. With some of the early shows he was nearly impossible to understand. He still does it occasionally while in his "zone", talking to himself, but more understandable now.

Just cleared up a ton of space on the DVR by erasing some "Miss Marple" shows. Had no idea they were in French with subtitles. I'm moderately fluent in French, but just not in the mood to "read" hours and hours of Agatha Christie stories.

Some of this stuff is PBS, some BBCA, but you'd think they could include "French w/subtitles" in the description and I would've skipped recording them.

Back on topic, at least Sherlock speaks English. ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, that was certainly a complex and tension-filled finale. While I enjoyed the multiple puzzles, one did have to suspend disbelief rather deeply for this episode over several aspects of the narrative: she's SO mesmerizing that she can bewitch anybody? She can construct these elaborate puzzles and get on and off the island and money is no object?

Loved that it was the Rathbone Building the duo raced from in the episode's final shot.

Last edited:

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I got a strong feeling by the end that they were doing the series wrapup. That's what the last five minutes felt like to me.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I got a strong feeling by the end that they were doing the series wrapup. That's what the last five minutes felt like to me.
Ack, Ack, Ack.... Spoilers coming up... Kidding of course. I've got about 30 hours of old shows to catch up on, so whatever you said has already faded away :eek:

Like that old NBC phrase, "It's new to me".

Those ridiculous DVRs, constantly filling up with things, hard to keep up sometimes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The stars have said in interviews they'd be game for more (Cumberbatch echoed your feelings that the finale felt like a series ender), but they're much in demand so finding a time to film more would be problematic, and they didn't give any indication that there were any further plans in the works. I think it's up to the two writer-producers.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Ack, Ack, Ack.... Spoilers coming up... Kidding of course.
I tried to phrase things in an ambiguous enough way to not suggest what happened or didn't happen in the episode, and honestly, even if I'd described it in detail, without the preceding 85+ minutes, you likely wouldn't get the same feel as I did.

Letting it sit for a night and into the next morning, I feel even moreso in that direction. I watched the show with a friend of mine (first one I'd watched with her), and she made the comment that it felt like they were throwing everything into this story and episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks