What's new

Shark Week - Anyone Else Disappointed? (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
This year's Shark Week on Discovery has been an immense disappointment to me. Instead of being a week full of shark programs top to bottom, it garners only a single hour each night.

With one hour, you'd think they could at least get some new or at least different material but the programs appear to be repeats from years past and are dominated by a film tie-in to Open Water.

Is this the death knell for the yearly ritual or is it just a bump in the road?

Personally, I think this is the end. Clearly Discovery is marginalizing the event in favor of its usual fare.

Oh well.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Shark Week has been a waste of time for years. They hype the thing for weeks, then all they do is slip a few new shows in with a bunch of repeats from years ago.

I was checking on one show last night and it was from 1999. They may suck in some new viewers, but anyone who's watched it in the past knows they're mostly just recycling old stuff.

People may complain about Comcast cable, but at least I can read a full description of the show and see if it's something with a 2004 date and possibly worth watching.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Hey Stan,

They've always padded it out with older programs but at least we got a week's worth! I always liked revisiting the older shows. It was only once a year and I'm always down for some late night shark shows.

The old Shark Week would have more program in one night than this one had all week.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Todd, definitely agree with you about the shortage of shows this year. They used to run a true "week" of shows where it seemed almost nonstop shark viewing and you could pick and choose what you may not have seen before. Now, like you said, it seems like only a show or two per night, hardly what I'd call "Shark Week".

StephenA

Screenwriter
I miss the days where they had a lot of new shark shows mixed with the best of years passed. I forgot this was Shark Week. I don't even remember them advertising it much this year.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
it is a shame. I always loved shark week. The only ones i liked this year was the tiger shark an swimming with great whites.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Jason,

Thanks for the link. It is truly a shame how Discovery has diminished this event. Also, there wasn't a shark to be seen on Discovery HD (that I could find). :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.