What's new

Setting up users in XP home Ed. (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I've tried looking this up but i can't find what i'm looking for. I have set up a second user on my PC. The second user needs to be able to access a couple of programs and one folder when they use this computer how do i restrict access to 1 whole hard drive and the rest of the programs and files that they don't need to touch? I have done a complete backup of that drive but i still don't want them doing anything stupid and losing something.
thanks,
jay

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure that you can restrict access to certain programs. You should be able to keep certain users out of whole drives and folders, but I'm not sure about the program access. I think it's all or nothing.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am very interested in this as well, as I am getting a room mate in the next couple of days and privacy on the computer would be nice.

--
Holadem

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, the only way to limit access to programs is to re-install. If the program is XP compliant, it will ask you if you want to install for all users or just the current user.

Another possible way around this is to, one by one, go through and limit access to folders for all the programs that you don't want the second user to have access to. This might work.

Kraig

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
the most i could do so far was to move important files into the my documents folder. I logged in as the other user and the my documents folder wasn't even there for my log in name. Also programs that i had installed when it only had me as a user were not able to open when logged in as the other user. i suppose this is good enough for now.
thanks and if there are any other suggestions feel free..

jay

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You can set the permissions for the entire drive and cascade those down throughout the folder tree. If you restrict the other user's access throughout the entire drive, and then enable access specifically for the folders you want him to see, that would work too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks