What's new

Set of Paradigm questions (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If it was unpleasant, then I'd take my business elsewhere, if possible. I'd also talk to the manager/owner and let him know about the unpleasantness. There's no reason for anyone to be condescending because you're unwilling/unable to spend the kind of money that has a salesguy salivating over his commission. Having been treated poorly at an audio shop, and having received first class treatment elsewhere (with the same budget) I can tell you I'll not be frequenting the stores with the jerks anytime soon (even if I have to go a couple of hours away to get the better service). To get back to your original query, as unpleasant as the salesguy might have been, he is correct when he says the Klipsch would be easier for your receiver to drive than the Paradigm Studios, but you shouldn't choose a speaker solely on how easily driven it is. How it sounds is far more important. For example, the Klipsch series would be easier to drive than my speakers (Boston Acoustics VR-M series) but I listened to them and dismissed them immediately. I really disliked the sound, but that's me. I have a friend who swears by Klipsch and we're still friends :) (though I won't be buying his speakers when he upgrades). Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, go back and ask for another salesperson.

Klipsch are some of the most efficient speakers on the market, but that does not mean they are the sound you want, as Paul notes. (I am not a big fan of Klipsch either).

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
How about going 20's all around or 20's and monitor 3's and then upgrading your reveiver?

What is your budget? How much did you spend on the 601?

I agree with the comments that you'll be ok with the 601, especially with the 20's, but to have the ability to add an amp down the road would be most advantagous, because it will make a big difference and make the upgrading processes a little easier.

William_Gravem

Stunt Coordinator
This guy wasn't the salesman I'm used to dealing with. I'm just frusterated b/c lots of stores in my area get real snooty when they discover that I'm looking to spend about $1,000 on speakers

I got the Onkyo 601 for $299.99. I probably bought it too early, but having seen it for $474.99 and $425.00 at a few other places, I thought this was a good deal and that 85 watts would probably do me just fine. Maybe it was a rookie mistake.

So it cost me $300 for the reciever, about $100 when all was said and done to lay the 12 gague wire behind the drywall (had to buy a cordless drill, the condo should be finished in Nov... that's what I'm shopping around for). I'm looking to spend about $1,000 on a sub and about $1,000-$1,500 on some speakers. I need to make sure that whatever I get won't be destroyed by my cats. Those are the constraints.

To me, $2,000-$3,000 is a good chunk of change... and I bet it is for most people. I don't understand why I feel like I have to be treated poorly by sales people. I live in MD suburbs of DC... does anybody know a good dealer in that area?

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Will, your not alone. I and the referrals I have made to the B&M that carries the stuff I like, have totaled over $10,000 in business. They treat me like crap and are rude and I have not ever received a discount from them. If one could buy Paradigm on line I would. It is so hard to find a good B&M.

I would definetly try to spend a touch more on that receiver if you could. At least get one with pre-outs. Maybe try to find a dealer that would give you a package discount if you bought everything from them,(if you have the option of returning the reciever). If you have to drive a bit do it. You deserve to feel good about your purchase no matter how much you spend. That's the whole point isn't it?

Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've sent my buddy at a local hi-fi shop over $10K in business too. One friend bought an entire setup from him, well over $5K on one sale alone, not to mention all the $$ I end up spending there :)

At another shop, I sent him 3 people looking for receivers for a total sales of $2K in just 2 weeks. He made a good commission off that so he said the next time I bought something, he would throw in a bonus item free.

These are the kinds of people I will keep coming back to. I've gone into stores and dealt with guys that have attitudes and a bit of arrogance, and I simply will not buy from people like that.

mackie

Supporting Actor
William - good luck on your purchases and upgrades. It took me a year of looking, auditioning, and saving before I bought my current set-up. If you're not sure, keep looking until you find what you like. When you've looking for the perfect system, there's a bunch of crap to wade through. Take your time, look for deals, and buy what you like. Most of all, don't buy from a dealer that treats you like crap. Going to different dealers and auditioning equipment is fun. One of my tricks with dealers was to always ask several stupid questions to see how they would react. If they were patient with me they got major points. If I have a problem, I want to know the dealer will be patient with me. Back to the original post. Power is good, but it is relative to a lot of other factors such as room size, listening levels, room acoustics, sub crossover points... The answer to your question isn't an easy one to answer. Last bit of advice, do your homework before going to the dealer and buy what you like. Someone will always tell say something is better...

Vito/D

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer 47TX rated at 130wpc at 8 ohms and 160 at 6 ohms running Studio 40's V3's and sound superb!:emoji_thumbsup:

It's true though, you need plenty of power for these hungry speakers.

Christpher_S

Stunt Coordinator
I just want to jump in here with a comment. I absolutely would not consider buying lower end speakers to match a receiver. A nice set of speakers will last you for many years and will give you one of the best returns on your investment of any home theater component. Your receiver is going to be obsolete a year or so from now. Buy the best speakers you can afford.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks