What's new

Looking to finish up my 5.1 set up - some questions (1 Viewer)

tenderbrew

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Armbruster
I finally decided to finish up and run a 5.1 set up in my basement this year. I have dabbled for a tiny bit in home theater, but mostly have been running my basement set up in stereo. My current gear is the following:

-Paradigm Monitor 7 Series floor standing (2)
-Paradigm Atom Monitor v7 (2)
-Yamaha RX-V472 A/V receiver

Room that the equipment is in is about 20' x 20' lets call it.

So really the questions / suggestions I am most interested in are:
-Wall mounts that would suit the Atom Monitors?
-Center channel that would fit in well?
-Sub that would fit in well?

Budget? I'd prefer stuff that would fall into the same category as the equipment I already have, but would listen to all suggestions.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The center is easy. The matching Paradigm model. The Monitor 1 Center appears to be the exact match, but if you are willing to spend a bit more, the Monitor 3 would be a step up.

As far as a sub, it depends on your budget and how much performance you want. That's a reasonably large room, so I wouldn't skimp. A sub is something you can keep using for decades. Generally, you'll get suggestions for internet direct brands like Power Sound, SVS and Hsu. SVS and Hsu get most of the suggestions here, but don't overlook Power Sound. It was founded by one of the co-founders of SVS, and is still what it started as. SVS was purchased by an equity firm and is no longer the bang-for-the-buck, grass roots company it started as. I suspect I'll get some blowback for that comment, but it's simply true. I suggest you free up at least $1K for a sub.

I can't help you with mounts.

tenderbrew

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Armbruster
The center is easy. The matching Paradigm model. The Monitor 1 Center appears to be the exact match, but if you are willing to spend a bit more, the Monitor 3 would be a step up.

As far as a sub, it depends on your budget and how much performance you want. That's a reasonably large room, so I wouldn't skimp. A sub is something you can keep using for decades. Generally, you'll get suggestions for internet direct brands like Power Sound, SVS and Hsu. SVS and Hsu get most of the suggestions here, but don't overlook Power Sound. It was founded by one of the co-founders of SVS, and is still what it started as. SVS was purchased by an equity firm and is no longer the bang-for-the-buck, grass roots company it started as. I suspect I'll get some blowback for that comment, but it's simply true. I suggest you free up at least $1K for a sub.

I can't help you with mounts.

Thanks, this definitely gives me a start and I can begin to hunt for the center and sub! Yah, the room is somewhat large as its one room as a finished basement.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, I didn't bother to look up the Atom Monitors, and assumed they are designed to be wall mountable. Now I see they're traditional bookshelf speakers. So, instead of trying to use wall mounts, I would just attach small shelves to the wall where you want the speakers. Very simple to do, and you don't have to mess up the speakers.

tenderbrew

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Armbruster
Thanks so much for your responses. Just put up some small shelves from Home Depot, 20 bones each and the rears fit perfectly. Ordering the Monitor 1s from a local dealer and then just going to wait a bit to decide on the sub as it seems like it's going to be a bigger purchase.

tenderbrew

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Armbruster
so my Monitor 7 are v6, which matching would be the cc-190, cc-290, and cc-390. However, finding any of those at all (let alone matching the finish seems impossible. I see suggested the Monitor 1 and Monitor 3 which are current line (v7). Would those still be a fine replacement for the v6 line or should I be trying my hardest to match version and timbre?

tenderbrew

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Armbruster
so my Monitor 7 are v6, which matching would be the cc-190, cc-290, and cc-390. However, finding any of those at all (let alone matching the finish seems impossible. I see suggested the Monitor 1 and Monitor 3 which are current line (v7). Would those still be a fine replacement for the v6 line or should I be trying my hardest to match version and timbre?

Really want to get an order in for my bday, just waiting to see if I'd be fine going with the v7 Monitor 1 or 3 center with my v6 Monitor 7 fronts. Appreciate any input I can get.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Really want to get an order in for my bday, just waiting to see if I'd be fine going with the v7 Monitor 1 or 3 center with my v6 Monitor 7 fronts. Appreciate any input I can get.
I suspect that's by far your best option. Polk regularly does minor updates, mostly just cosmetic changes, so they can introduce a "new" model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks