What's new

5.1 Playback in 2 Channel (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Craig H
Currently I have an Oppo UDP 205 running through Rotel RA 1572. L - R speakers are B & W CM10 S2.
TV is Sony 77" A9G OLED.

My question: Do the 5.1 audio mixes (e.g. District 9) playing through my decidedly 2 channel set -up simply mix down automatically?
Dialogue seems to be favored in the mix-down. Which is a good thing. A few Blu-rays, like operas and orchestral concerts, offer a 2 channel
option. But few movies offer a choice.

Is my only option to buy a new 5.1/7.1 audio amplifier? Yes. Sometimes there are stupid questions......Any suggestions? Comparable
to the Rotel? It would be nice to take advantage of the many SACD's I have including vintage 3 channel from the 50's/60's.

Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to take optimal advantage of the movie multi channel set up as the room is 14'x 17. Sounds okay to my desiccated ears.
Hearing aids help a great deal.

Thanks for any guidance.

Craig

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As long as you use the Oppo's dedicated stereo output you should be fine. It will mix down whatever it's fed to two channel. Don't use the multi-channel surround outputs, because those will assume you have the surround and center channels, which you don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks