What's new

Can I? Should I? (1 Viewer)

Bruno57

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Mambruno
Hi, I am new here in like every other want to be audio file I am thinking I can improve my system. Currently:
Anthem MRX 710 7 Channel A/V Receiver With ARC 1M Correction
Paradigm 40 fronts
paradigm signature C2 Center
Paradigm 20 Rears
Paradigms Atoms surround rear
Subwoffer Mirage 12 in.

Question:
I would like to add either the. ,
Paradigm 60 v5. Or the 100 v3 and remove the atoms from the rear surround
The current set up is for the Anthem seven channel amplifier
. have a marantz AVR 6500 that I was thinking of using The power just the fronts either the 100v3a or 60v5.
do you think this is viable? Can I set up the Marantz with the Anthem? If so how would I do it?
also do you think there is much difference between the 60 version five and the 100 version three?
I am always trying to tweak my system and wondering if this is just too much bother for the sound improvement.
Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Edd

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Ed,

This is usually doable if your other receiver has channel preamp inputs.

Can you send a link to the Marantz model you have? I'm not sure if I can find a match (unless you mean the Denon X6500).

I used to own Studios like you have - good speakers. If you're trying to pick the 60 v5 or 100v3, I'd probably go for the 60's - just because of the better driver tech.

The way you have one processor/receiver drive another is pretty simple. Turn the volume on the Marantz up to maximum, so that it is basically just an amplifier. Disable any EQ or correction routines.

Then run an RCA cable from the pre-out on your MRX710 to the corresponding input on the Marantz (if it has them):

1609005301159.png

Bruno57

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Mambruno
Hi Dave-
Thanks so much for your simplistic explanation of this setup. I have attached three rear photos of the SR 6005 Marantz that I would like to hook up as a power amplifier for my front two speakers. At this time, I believe you are correct in suggesting the studio 60s for my fronts. My Maroge 12 inch subwoofer is more than capable of providing enough bass I believe to make up for the limitations of the mid ranges of the 60s. Would you agree that this needs to be done or can my Anthem supply enough power to these sonically matched. pardigms?
at one time I was thinking about putting a pair of
B&WS however I feared that they would not BA good match for the fronts Being either to bright or basses to make a good match. I have only heard them once and they were the Nautilus.
just so you get a better idea I am trying to increase the soundstage and bring more of the vocals in action to the front using the rears for the action movies which provide more sound effects.
again, I appreciate the time you have taken to review my set up and please don’t hesitate to ask me any questions. I would call myself a a beginner plus, I am a quadriplegic and need other people to do the wiring which is why I asked you how to do simple things that others may take for granted.
hope you have a great holiday, Ed

Attachments

• F78C4646-1DB4-41BF-BFFD-2A02D660D013.png
    F78C4646-1DB4-41BF-BFFD-2A02D660D013.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
  • 2C934019-A417-4EF3-A40E-4791C4B842F1.png
    2C934019-A417-4EF3-A40E-4791C4B842F1.png
    4 MB · Views: 89
  • C816D848-8C3B-423A-8693-3A11860B4F7B.png
    C816D848-8C3B-423A-8693-3A11860B4F7B.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 2D877696-7DD6-4C3D-8332-F4F523A0911E.png
    2D877696-7DD6-4C3D-8332-F4F523A0911E.png
    5 MB · Views: 89

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Ed,

Thanks for the pictures. You could indeed just run a RCA cable as shown in my original diagram from the Pre-Outs on the back of the Anthem to the 7.1 corresponding input channel on the 6005 in the area shown. All you have to do is max out the volume on the Marantz and turn off any EQ or audyssey room correction.

1609026792119.png

Bruno57

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Mambruno
...and you need to select the 7.1 input on the Marantz. ;)
Hi Dave, one more question. I have the chance to buy a pair of floorstanding Martin and Logan 20 a day for a great price Plus free shipping. I cannot find the 100s or 60s anywhere for any price unless I buy them full retail.
Do you think I should pull the trigger or do you think this is too much of a downgrade with the paradigm. I don’t know if you know if they are sonic match or not. But like I said the price is almost too good to pass up.
Secondly, my anthem is a seven channel amp and I already have the surrounds hooked up. What would be your recommendation on how to hook these fronts up since I do not have Atmos.
I do not think I’m going to use the Marantz the power of the fronts since I have 130 watts per channel by hooking up the Marantz I am only providing power to the fronts not adding an extra channel correct? Sorry for these beginner questions but I’ve been out of the game for a while. This pandemic has caused everybody to improve something in their home in mine is my audio for now! Thank goodness I didn’t go withFirst choice of watches.

Thanks again Dave, Ed

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Ed,

If you already have the Anthem's built in power, then you don't need the Marantz at all, correct.

The Martin Logan Motion 20i is a decent speaker for sure, though I would agree it's not on the same level as the Paradigms (not even close, really). It won't be a great sonic match with other speakers - but your budget is what you have to keep in mind.

Have you checked our usaudiomart.com and canuckaudiomart.com to look for used speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks