What's new

Service plan on DLP. Yes or no? (1 Viewer)

andy wells

Agent
I mentioned I was interested in buying the mitsubishi 65731, and was wondering.. Should I get the 4 year (the only one available for DLPs) service plan (399.99) or is it worth it? I could get the TV this coming week, but with that additional cost, I would have to hold off for a while longer (a month or more).. The reason I ask is, this does cover the bulb if it happens to go during that time.. but at the same time.. I don't believe bulbs are even half that much. I've had two toshiba RPTVs since since 2001 and had the service plans for both, but never had to use them.. so I have to wonder, should I just take the plunge without the plan?

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
The last bulb I replaced an customer's Mitsubishi WD-62525 (about a 2 year old 62" model) cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $260, if I recall. You can probably get them a bit cheaper online if you don't mind replacing the lamp yourself. On newer models, it's actually not too hard.

As far as the extended warranties are concerned, remember that you are essentially buying insurance. Retail stores bank on the fact that you'll probably never need to use the warranty, which essentially made them that $400 of almost pure profit. I'm sell custom home A/V for a living and I never make a point to push them (I'm not the "hard sell" kind of guy).

DLP extended warranties normally cover the light engine assembly as well, and I have seen my fair share of them go out (mostly on cheapie DLPs though...). But in my years of dealing with Mitsubishi, if the light engine fails, it's usually within the first six months (and that's under factory warranty mind you).

andy wells

Agent
So basically speaking, I will most likely be good sticking with the manufacturers warranty? Do you know how long its for? 1 year or so?
BTW.. thanks for your help. :)

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
1 year parts and labor on internal parts (light engine, lamp); 30 days on the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks