What's new

Seperates - What Do I Need ? (1 Viewer)

I WANT TO MOVE TO SEPERATE COMPONENTS . I DO NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I NEED FOR MY HOME THEATRE . COULD YOU CLUE ME IN AS TO THE RIGHT EQUIPTMENT TO BUY ?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Isn't that a very vague question? I think you'll need to provide more information - how much money do you plan to spend, for starters? How big is your room? What kind of sound do you enjoy? What speakers do you have, if any?

If you provide that information, maybe someone can give you meaningful help. Otherwise, "what equipment should I buy" will get you a very wide range of answers. For instance, the differences in cost between all your options could be from say $1000 total to $50,000 total. Where do you wish to be in that range?

On the other hand, if your question is about types of equipment, then the answer is:

* A pre/pro - I believe that's short for a Preamp/Processor, or Pre-Processor

* As many amplifiers as the number of channels you wish to have. OK, as many amplifier channels would be more precise - a 5-channel amp can drive a 5.1 system (assuming the subwoofer has its own amp, of course).

I don't know if you need anything else, but that should be a starting point.

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
I saw your post for amp suggestions and I think you will get better suggestions with a little more information. What are your plans...what equipment will you be running? SACD or DVD-A player? Does future upgradeability interest you? Do you want/need THX certification? The latest sound formats like DTS-ES or THX-EX? Are you concerned with 2 channel performance or surround sound the most?
There seem to be to pre/pros getting the most attention on this forum these days:
The Anthem AVM20
avm20.gif

This is very expandable and has most of the features that ANYONE would be looking for. Upgrades for DTS-ES, DPL II, etc. are may appear as early as spring. Cost is over $3,000 and will go up $300 when the upgrade is available.
The Outlaw 950:
950-front.jpg

This has been getting TONS of air time on HTF due to its feature set and groundbreaking price: $899. It's only software upgradeable and no one has a production model in their rack yet. Beta testers have some interesting things to say about it though.
Check out the thread on the Outlaw
and one on the Anthem
One dark horse is the brand new Rotel 1066. You can check out some of the info on that pre/pro here
Hope that helps a little. I expect there are many others that can help.
Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks