What's new

SCS-02M-3.0 or....? For a 3.0 upgrade (1 Viewer)

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone. I have decided to upgrade my system a little. I was looking at the SVS SCS-02m for my mains and center.
I will not be using a subwoofer for the immediate future, so my concern is that they will be too bass shy with their 80hz roll off.
But they cost $350 shipped... and I know they are true quality speakers.
I will use them for movies and TV and occasional 2 channel music.
I have a Denon 1612.
Currently I have a pair of EPI 90's with incorrect woofers, makes me think i am missing something...
Suggestions????

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How big is your room? If you are watching action movies, then they will be bass shy. If you are listening to classic rock, they will sound fine.
If you have the incorrect woofers, then there is no telling how off your sound is.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
room is 12.5 by 13.5
couch ~8 feet from TV/fronts.
I was looking at Le Bay and there were some PSB Alpha B1s that i could match to their center for about $350... or a similar setup from Monitor. I have heard these brands before a long time ago and don't remember being disappointed.
Any thoughts on either of those brands/models? or other suggestions?
I will be watching action movies sometimes...but mostly TV shows I do like speakers to be musical if you believe that is a thing. Most of the sounds coming out of the LR will be background music anyway...
Hmmm I may need to schedule an afternoon in a speaker shop... poor me :cool:

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know anything about PSB. You could count the number of high end speakers I've auditioned on one hand and still have fingers left over. But once I heard my Dayton III's, I knew my days of Best Buy speakers were over. Yes, I understand the 'musical' term. You can hear the fingers slide up and down the guitar strings as they go from note to note. Details like that make it go from listening to music to enjoying music.
Good thing that speakers don't care what you play through them. They will work for TV.
Did I dream this somewhere but are the last 2 letters of your screen name "SI" for Stereo Integrity? Are you that Nick? I usually know all of the guys that have been here for years.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not that Nick. Si are the first two letters of my name. Im just a home theater enthusiast not a professional.
Hmm I am like you I have really only listened to a few for far too little time to create a fair or accurate judgement.
Where is SChan He has all the answers :D

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Ok newest development is a set of mirage m790s with a matching center.
Reviews I have seen have been positive. Anyone have anything terrible to say about them? I feel like bass response should be good with a big enclosure and the 8in woofers. Unless they have a habit of bursting into flames or something they may be the answer...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
8's in a good enclosure will give you some very good bass. I have 6.5's in my MTM's (enclosure tuned to 36hz) and they sound great with music. Unless you want to go DIY, they sound like your best bet.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, and they are "bipolar" anyone have a date of manufacture for these? a range? Ive looked and they seem to be around 1990's?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I shopping for a new set of sub$1000 speakers,, I'd consider the svs s series. I'm very happy with the m series I bought. But it looks like svs no longer sells the m series of speakers?

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Oh boy if i had $1000 to spend... however it seems like my budget is more like $300 which relegates me either to craigslist crapshoot or a very nice Sony "1000 watt home theater system" lol. Thanks for the insight though everyone.
Also Dave not to be creepy or anything but I live near Keuka Lake. We're practically neighbors :) good to see some other "Real" New Yorkers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
NickSI said:
Oh boy if i had $1000 to spend... however it seems like my budget is more like $300
How a full DIY? Or if you can't do that, a partial DIY? The Dayton BR-1 is a proven design from Parts Express. They sell them for $200/pair as complete speakers. You can save $40 by purchasing the kit and assembling the components. You can save another $30 by just buying the components and building the enclosures. They use the same drivers as my Dayton DII's which sound great to me. As I've stated in many other posts, my wife was extremely surprised at their quality after we heard some $55,000 speakers powered by $90,000 of amps.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
here are the speakers I have decided on :) http://syracuse.craigslist.org/ele/3174329446.html
Im gonna pick up the 790s and the center on saturday.
Not a steal really but I think it's worth it.
As for DIY... I am sure I will make my own speakers at some point. but i would want to make the cabinets and make them the way i would want them to look. I have neither the tools nor the tools to accomplish this. But my father is a wood worker so I may be able to wrangle him into helping me...

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Alright I got the speakers and "auditioned" them last night with some TV and a little bit of a movie. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!! The accomplish exactly what I want them to, They disappear when watching a movie and provide enough bass to hear it and even feel it a little bit too. In a scene from Two Towers the Uru khai are running toward Helms Deep the bass was low and sounded like thunder in the distance. Even without a sub I am satisfied with the bass. For music they have that undefinable musical quality. I am going to create a Mirage M 790 topic so that if in the future someone is trying to research these speakers there will be some information out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks