What's new

Screen Recommendations for a 2 Projector setup ... ? (1 Viewer)

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Hi everyone .. So I've decided on a 2-projector setup for my new Home Theater room in the basement of my new house ..

The two projectors are JVC RS-46 (for 2D Movies & TV Shows) and Optoma HD131Xe (for 3D Movies & Gaming) ...

Projection Constraints:

Screen: 120" diagonal, 16:9 Ratio
Projectors' Throw Distance: Somewhere between 16 feet & 18 feet most probably

Points to consider:

1) 80% ~ 90% of all my content will be 2D movies & TV shows ( = JVC RS-46 Projector), so the screen has to favor the RS-46 a lot here, since 80% ~ 90% of the times, that's the projector I'll be using.

2) Although numerous people have said that a JVC RS-46 will produce a sufficiently bright 2D picture at my used throw distance, I think it's still fairly recommended to still improve the brightness of RS-46's output, if an even better experience is desired.

3) Do note though, that my second projector already outputs a very bright picture by default, so it's preferable to probably use a screen which will also work well with an already bright input. This might not be a very big issue though, since half the usage for the Optoma projector will be for 3D.

Projector Placement options:

I can use either of the two layouts used below. First option is preferred, but my priority is picture quality here above all.

Ceiling Mounted:

In both pictures below, the throw distance depicted is 16.5 feet.

BfpOPga.png

Floor Standing (inside a back concieled shelf):

pYPD3y9.png

---------

So please recommend me a screen which will work well for my setup :)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Jim. Sort of my thoughts too, but I would say more mis guided than crazy.

I would spend the budget on 1 good projector AND an appropriately matched QUALITY screen.

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Actually guys, I've gotten like 50x times more advices on AVS where people have said that if 90% of your viewing is purely 2D movies & TV shows (which is the case with me), then an RS-46 is very recommended .. I've read lots of reviews, and virtually all agree with this .. This is why I'm getting the RS-46 .. The Optoma is just for 3D, as the RS-46 isn't the ideal candidate there by far for 3D ... Yes, the 3D of a budget Optoma isn't the best, but I can live with that ..So the projector selection is more or less confirmed for me, as there have been a lot of reviews that have convinced me (.. and believe me, I took some convincing) ..I guess I'm now trying to find a screen which is suited well for the RS-46, but will also decently work well with a budget projector's 3D ..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I would do(and I've designed twin projector situations) is get the RS46 and see what you think of its 3D.If you don't like its 3D, or simply not bright enough, then you can decide on a 2nd projector...or do a 2nd higher gain screen.

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Yes, thats a workable option too, but my problem is that I'm actually importing all my HT stuff from the US via a friend ... and I may not get the chance to import a second projector in the foreseeable future, which is why I'm not taking any chances and am ordering a second budget Optoma for 3D ..When the stuff arrives, I'll of course try out the RS-46 for its 3D too, and if I'm satisfied, I'll sell the Optoma locally .. I'm sure I can sell it off for relatively than I buy it for :)But for now, I need screen recommendations for Rs-46 please, for my throw distance, screen size, etc .. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks