What's new

Scream Factory Press Release: King Kong Collector's Edition (1976) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm not a huge fan - but love Kong and will eventually pick up a copy of this "just because." Heck, I own a copy of Jackson's version and I'm not much of a fan of that one either.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think so too. I wasn't sure but felt the extended footage was probably outtakes and cut footage and not newly filmed footage like Earthquake, Midway, Two Minute Warning and Airport 77. This Wikipedia clip does seem to indicate that as well. I only saw the extended cut once when it originally aired in 1978 but remember there were some new effects scenes like Kong picking up a car with people and smashing it through a building. Normally extended footage made for tv does not include new effects scenes. In Midway the tv version added the Battle of Coral sea but all the battle scenes were reused from the battle of Midway. They just filmed some new scenes of the commanders on the bridge of the carrier Yorktown. But as Jack mentioned if Shout only has access to a tv master of the extended cut then it is already formatted in 1.33:1. They would have to do a complete reassembly to get it in widescreen which seems unlikely due to the cost.
Universal was the only studio back then that would film extra scenes in TV aspect ratio only for TV broadcasts. Non-Universal films that would be expanded for TV broadcast would always utilize cut scenes from the actual production. But there's no guarantee that the extra footage will exist in top of the line quality. The TV only scenes of "Towering Inferno" were in very ratty pan/scan quality when they were included as a supplement. It wouldn't surprise me if for "Kong" the 16 minutes of extra scenes that have been seen in widescreen as foreign region supplements were presented again as supplements if the overall TV master is pan/scan.

The TV master would of course censor the random cursing in the movie (when Presscott shouts, "Axxxholes!" at the helicopters during the climax it gets a nonsensical dubbing; also Bagley's line about how since the supposed oil won't be good for 10,000 years, "Meantime you'll get better mileage filling your Cadillac with mulepiss.") The moments where Kong rips off Dwan's top and the close-up of Kong ripping the jaws open of the snake were also cut from the TV prints (they show a longer version of the fight instead and we just get a sound effect with a close-up on Kong when the kill moment comes).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a huge fan - but love Kong and will eventually pick up a copy of this "just because." Heck, I own a copy of Jackson's version and I'm not much of a fan of that one either.
I love Peter Jackson's version but I have to admit that I may buy this one just out of a love of 70's movies and to see if this is as bad as I remember it being.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I agree. In my opinion Jackson’s King Kong is a modern masterpiece that far surpasses both the ‘33 and this ‘76 Kong film (both of which I also love).
Naomi Watts deserves most of the credit for that I think. In my opinion she made the movie work. Without her in the film, I don't think I would have cared nearly as much about it.

Did Peter Jackson hand pick her for the role? If so, it just solidifies his level of greatness.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Naomi Watts deserves most of the credit for that I think. In my opinion she made the movie work. Without her in the film, I don't think I would have cared nearly as much about it.

Did Peter Jackson hand pick her for the role? If so, it just solidifies his level of greatness.
He did.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I was 6 when I saw this in its initial run and loved it. And I remember what a big deal the TV premier was (a couple of years before our neighborhood got cable or anyone had a VCR).

twenty years later I was excited to watch it on cable because my wife had never seen it. And it was not the same movie I remembered from my childhood. Bridges’ trippy hippy precursor to the Dude was laughable. Charles Grodin Chewing up every scene he was in was annoying. And, ugh, that man in a suit. I still love the score, the log scene, and a handful of other scenes, but overall it didn’t age well for me.

Im mildly interested for the right price, but not super excited.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Guys. It’s on hbo. You can watch it now there if you have it.
I’m pretty sure it’s the old transfer that’s been available for years. Can someone confirm if it’s the new transfer?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I want to say that Shout generally announces that kind of thing when they announce the rest of the special features (which is maybe two months or a month and a half before the release).
Yes, the technical aspects are included in the full press release.

I'm hoping that this release will have a featurette on the King Kong ride that used to be at both Universal Parks. I was a bit disappointed that Shout didn't included a featurette about the Earthquake ride for Earthquake's release. Kongfornation and Earthquake: The Big One were two big rides in Universal Orlando's early days.

Thankfully however because of YouTube, some people are sharing about the history of these rides from yesterday. Defunctland is one such person.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Yes, Naomi really bought into the role and was terrific. I think Jesica Lange deserves congratulations for surviving Dwan and going on to have a fine career.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I probably didn't make myself clear, it was in Los Angeles at the MGM studios vacant lot during the unveiling of Kong in the stadium. I was either in the front row or a few rows back.
Sorry, I did misunderstand.
I was in the crowd at the World Trade Center with the prone figure of Kong. They were filming with some of the stars.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sorry, I did misunderstand.
I was in the crowd at the World Trade Center with the prone figure of Kong. They were filming with some of the stars.
There are so many places where you can run into a giant ape, it can get confusing. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks