What's new

Scream Factory Press Release: King Kong Collector's Edition (1976) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I grew up with this Kong too it came out when I was 10. Loved the photography and the John Barry score. I am looking forward to seeing the TV cut again as I have not seen it since it originally aired. I'm not sure if these were deleted scenes or new footage shot for TV like Earthquake and Midway. I'm thinking deleted footage since there were some special effects scenes like Kong rampaging through New York, picking up a car and smashing it through a building. So this might be widescreen if it was deleted footage.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was dragged to see this at the cinema buy some workmates who were keen to see it. I didn't really want to, as the pre-publicity for it dissed the 1933 original (I think the message was that the original was a man in a suit, & the new version was a full size working model - makes you laugh now). Anyway, they all hated it & I quite enjoyed it. Like the original, it's set in contemporary times & not a period piece (unlike Jackson's 2005 version), so looking at it now, it's all very seventies, which I think adds to the fun. The big plus is the John Barry score (I went out & bought the soundtrack LP right after seeing the film). I've had the French* Blu-ray for a number of years now, & I think it looks pretty good (nice colour & contrast, a bit grainy at times), but that transfer is getting a bit long in the tooth now, I wonder if this is a new HD transfer?

The French release is the only Blu-ray I own that has a contrast & brightness set up for your monitor - a big white cross in the middle & a line of squares across the screen going white to black - just like a professional set-up test pattern. Very handy.

Last edited:

maxfabien

Agent
Real Name
Walter
Finally! Kong '76 was the first big "event" movie of my life at age 7 and I've always had a fondness for it. As the years go by, the footage of the World Trade Center also takes on an extra poignance as well. Outstanding John Barry score, my second favorite non-Bond score of his next to "Raise The Titanic." To me, the film is a million times better than Jackson's narcissistic attempt to copycat and one-up the 1933 classic because it tries to be its own entity without being disrespectful to the original. It has its flaws but I still enjoy it and would take it over Jackson any day of the week as a good companion piece to the original (which I didn't see first, but which I know is the best).

The addition of the TV cut is interesting. Previous R2 DVD and the foreign Blu-Ray releases have had about 16 minutes of extra footage from the TV cut in widescreen format as a bonus supplement but I have to assume that like with "Earthquake" we're probably going to see the TV cut from a pan/scan TV master (if it exists widescreen like the "Superman" TV cut I'll really be surprised). A lot of the extra footage was really padding designed to lengthen scenes and spread the film over to a two part showing (I remember switching to Pt. 2 after the first hour of the debut of "Battlestar Galactica") and didn't add a whole lot but it'll be great to see it nonetheless.

With "Greatest Show On Earth" coming as well, that's two of my five most wanted Paramount titles finally getting a US release at long last! Here's hoping "When Worlds Collide", "Naked Jungle" and "Black Sunday" will soon get US releases as well (I know about Via Vision for two of those titles).
"Black Sunday" (1977) Blu-ray release March 5. I'm waiting for "Ordinary People".

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, & it doesn't look one bit like Rick Baker's costume! I wonder if it's still around, I think it was in London at one time. The hands & arms are very good.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To me, the film is a million times better than Jackson's narcissistic attempt to copycat and one-up the 1933 classic because it tries to be its own entity without being disrespectful to the original.
Everyone is entitled is have their own favorite version of Kong, but to call PJ’s version a narcissistic attempt is way over the top. PJ has great love for the original and he may have the best collection of memorabilia from the original. I like his version because Ann Darrow has a relation with Kong that goes beyond screaming in terror. That’s a big departure from the original.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It’s been a long time, but I do remember thinking “That’s it?” When the “life-size” Kong made his appearance. It was ballyhooed for weeks and weeks, “we’ve got a giant Kong.” It was immediately apparent his motion was incredibly limited.

Rick Baker was highly praised for his work, if I remember correctly.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Everyone is entitled is have their own favorite version of Kong, but to call PJ’s version a narcissistic attempt is way over the top. PJ has great love for the original and he may have the best collection of memorabilia from the original. I like his version because Ann Darrow has a relation with Kong that goes beyond screaming in terror. That’s a big departure from the original.

My reference about respect for the original was in relation to Kong '76 "reimagining" the story in a fresh way without disrespecting the original. I've seen one other "reimagining" of a property in my time that did not do so.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree. In my opinion Jackson’s King Kong is a modern masterpiece that far surpasses both the ‘33 and this ‘76 Kong film (both of which I also love).

LouA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I was in the outdoor crowd scene when they unveiled Kong. You could see the horse hair blowing lightly in the breeze. I remember when the camera tracked in front of where I sitting. Couldn't make out my face on the DVD, maybe now I might have a chance.

Buying this day one for sure!
I was there too. It was a week night I believe- Fall of 1975. I’ looking forward to buying this!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I was there too. It was a week night I believe- Fall of 1975. I’ looking forward to buying this!

I probably didn't make myself clear, it was in Los Angeles at the MGM studios vacant lot during the unveiling of Kong in the stadium. I was either in the front row or a few rows back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hack