What's new

Scream Factory Press Release: King Kong Collector's Edition (1976) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
148386191_2117257001744633_6078210607481272509_o.jpg

Finally!! 1976’s big budget remake of KING KONG stomps its way onto Blu-ray in North America for the first time! Here are the early details we have at current time to share:

• National street date for North America (Region A) is May 11th.
• This will be presented as a 2-Disc Collector’s Edition and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release.
• The newly commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from artist Hugh Fleming. This art will be front-facing, and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork. \
• Extras will be announced on a later date. However, we can confirm already that we will be presenting both the original theatrical feature film AND the extended TV version!

Pre-orders on our site begin today which includes the Blu-ray plus a rolled 18” x 24” poster of the new art. The poster is exclusive to us and will be made at a limited-run of 500 pieces: https://bit.ly/3aP8dkW

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Finally! Kong '76 was the first big "event" movie of my life at age 7 and I've always had a fondness for it. As the years go by, the footage of the World Trade Center also takes on an extra poignance as well. Outstanding John Barry score, my second favorite non-Bond score of his next to "Raise The Titanic." To me, the film is a million times better than Jackson's narcissistic attempt to copycat and one-up the 1933 classic because it tries to be its own entity without being disrespectful to the original. It has its flaws but I still enjoy it and would take it over Jackson any day of the week as a good companion piece to the original (which I didn't see first, but which I know is the best).

The addition of the TV cut is interesting. Previous R2 DVD and the foreign Blu-Ray releases have had about 16 minutes of extra footage from the TV cut in widescreen format as a bonus supplement but I have to assume that like with "Earthquake" we're probably going to see the TV cut from a pan/scan TV master (if it exists widescreen like the "Superman" TV cut I'll really be surprised). A lot of the extra footage was really padding designed to lengthen scenes and spread the film over to a two part showing (I remember switching to Pt. 2 after the first hour of the debut of "Battlestar Galactica") and didn't add a whole lot but it'll be great to see it nonetheless.

With "Greatest Show On Earth" coming as well, that's two of my five most wanted Paramount titles finally getting a US release at long last! Here's hoping "When Worlds Collide", "Naked Jungle" and "Black Sunday" will soon get US releases as well (I know about Via Vision for two of those titles).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I had the tie-in board game for this as a kid. Haven't watched the film in ages, though. Great makeup work and from Rick Baker in a gorilla suit. Carlo Rambaldi's animatronic ape rivaled Bruce the shark for breakdowns.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Hmmm... no word on new or existing transfer or the elements used. Fingers crossed it won’t be an older, mediocre transfer.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
As already stated I hope that this is not an old transfer, yes I am one of those that have been seriously waiting for this release. If they go full on on this and include the Expanded TV cut on the second disc, and it's widescreen, that will be the real bonus.

That new original art for this release is pretty spot on accurate, compared to the original onesheet, which was iconic in it's own way with the Twin Towers prominently displayed.

so if this moves units good enough, do we foresee King Kong Lives : Collectors Edition in the future? :P

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Love this film. Childhood favorite! Terrific John Barry score too.

Oscar winner for visual effects ( tied with Logan’s Run).

I loved it as a kid as well but as an adult... not so much.

It's not a terrible movie, but it's not good, either!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I'm surprised they're not naming the cast on the cover so as not to confuse the uninitiated.

View attachment 88430

It's not like any of them won any Best Actor Oscars(TM) ;) ...

yea I know what you mean, after this I guess that Jeff Bridges guy, and Jessica Lang lady's careers pretty much went downhill afterwards, Francis, Big Lebowski, Tootsie, Starman, Country, Crazy Heart, Sweet Dreams, True Grit....

yep, nothing to see here.....move along

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I love this film. Beautifully done. So cool they are including the expanded TV version on a second disk! The new artwork is pretty. I'm glad they are including the original on the reverse. Will Amazon's version have the poster as well?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I love this film. Beautifully done. So cool they are including the expanded TV version on a second disk! The new artwork is pretty. I'm glad they are including the original on the reverse. Will Amazon's version have the poster as well?
first post, if it's anything like before gotta order directly from Shout, or wait for e-bay, 500 units with poster

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikWRX