What's new

Scream Factory Press Release: King Kong Collector's Edition (1976) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Desdinova

Grip
Real Name
Scott
I worked in the miniatures department at DEG Studios back in '86 when they were shooting King Kong Lives and on a lunch break I and a couple of other friends from the shop were futzing around on the back lot and we found a pile of debris that had been dumped over the fence into a vacant lot. We climbed over and dug around in it and found the set of head molds Rick Baker had made for the Kong heads for the '76 version. The temptation to quietly put them back and then return later and keep them was HUGELY tempting but in the end we turned them in to Rambaldi who was doing the Kong armatures. He was GREATLY happy and had no idea they still existed or how they ended up there.

In retrospect, I probably should have gone first to see my roommate who was working in the Molds department and had him strike a few copies...would have been a great memento of a great film (the '76 version, not Kong Lives). :)

Last edited:

Desdinova

Grip
Real Name
Scott
Ha, & it doesn't look one bit like Rick Baker's costume! I wonder if it's still around, I think it was in London at one time. The hands & arms are very good.
When I worked at DEG Studios in '86, the steel framework was lying out in the back of the studios but there wasn't anything really left of it by then.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
neato. loved the hell out of this at 9. i thought kong was holding a big apollo rocket on that poster for years1!!
That was from the teaser poster, the actual poster has Kong holding what looks like a big piece of burning poop, but it's really a destroyed helicopter.

1612923137159.png

1612923364187.png

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Love this film. Childhood favorite! Terrific John Barry score too.

Oscar winner for visual effects ( tied with Logan’s Run).

I only wanted to see Jessica Lange step naked out of the shower stall. To hell with Kong.

I saw this on a big screen in '76 and thought it was largely deplorable. I like Rick Baker a lot, but that this film won an Oscar for effects seemed to me akin to sacrilege.

Flame shields up.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I only wanted to see Jessica Lange step naked out of the shower stall. To hell with Kong.

I saw this on a big screen in '76 and thought it was largely deplorable. Sorry, warnerbro. I like Rick Baker a lot, but that this film won an Oscar for effects seemed to me akin to sacrilege.

Flame shields up.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I saw this on a big screen in '76 and thought it was largely deplorable. I like Rick Baker a lot, but that this film won an Oscar for effects seemed to me akin to sacrilege.

Flame shields up.

Oh, and, yes, the Barry score is nice.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My reference about respect for the original was in relation to Kong '76 "reimagining" the story in a fresh way without disrespecting the original. I've seen one other "reimagining" of a property in my time that did not do so.
How was it so different from the original? The female lead in both pictures is down on her luck. The inspiration for going to the island in both was greed. One wanted to make a film and the other to find oil. There are monsters on the island in both films. There’s a male romantic lead in both films. The 76 is only superficially a reimagining. PJ’s Kong was a remake, but as I mentioned before, it changes the relationship between Kong and Ann. It’s a big change.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I am looking forward to this, but please let the extended version be 2.39 ratio and not 1.33 as it was broadcast.

This what Wikipedia says about the extended TV version.

Extended television version​

King Kong found new and sustained life on television when NBC bought the rights to air the movie and it was a ratings success. They paid De Laurentiis $19.5 million for the rights to two showings over five years, which was the highest amount any network had ever paid for a film at that time. When King Kong made its television debut over two nights in September 1978, around 45 minutes of extra footage was inserted to make the film longer, and it had some added or replaced music cues.[30] Additionally, in order to obtain a lower, family-friendly TV rating, overtly violent or sexual scenes in the theatrical version were trimmed down or replaced with less explicit takes, and all swearing or potentially offensive language was removed.[31][32] Further extended broadcasts followed in November 1980 and March 1983.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
How was it so different from the original? The female lead in both pictures is down on her luck. The inspiration for going to the island in both was greed. One wanted to make a film and the other to find oil. There are monsters on the island in both films. There’s a male romantic lead in both films. The 76 is only superficially a reimagining. PJ’s Kong was a remake, but as I mentioned before, it changes the relationship between Kong and Ann. It’s a big change.

Again, you're missing the point behind my remark. I was talking about why I liked Kong '76 as a film that did a reimagined storyline (totally different from the original which is why it's a reimagining because it's different characters altogether and not using the same time period/concept) but in the course of a reimagining did it without showing any disrespect for the original or the original source material which is something I've seen happen before with another property (not Kong) that "reimagined" the source material in a disrespectful way. My reasons for why I dislike Jackson's version had nothing to do with those particular comments of mine about "reimagining" a property.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Thanks for the info. As I said here is hoping we are given the extended version in the correct aspect ratio the same way Warner Archive did for Superman.
My guess is that the extended version would be in widescreen as the tv version info sounded like the additional 45 minutes came from the original shoot.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Most people who write here about loving this film seem to have been children when they saw it, so it is a cherished childhood memory. I was 25 when it came out and sorry but I thought the “man in a gorilla suit” special effects were deplorable. It reminds you of Godzilla stomping through miniature versions of Tokyo. Of the 3 versions of this story, I’d put it in 10th place.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Some of the deleted scenes that were used on TV were in widescreen format as supplements on foreign releases, but the actual TV cut may be derived from a video master which would be formatted for TV broadcasts which was Shout used for the TV cut of "Earthquake." If the whole TV cut is in widescreen I'll be very surprised.

Here's the NBC "Big Event" intro for Pt. 2 of the first TV broadcast.

And the Camp David news interruption of the program no less!

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Most people who write here about loving this film seem to have been children when they saw it, so it is a cherished childhood memory. I was 25 when it came out and sorry but I thought the “man in a gorilla suit” special effects were deplorable. It reminds you of Godzilla stomping through miniature versions of Tokyo. Of the 3 versions of this story, I’d put it in 10th place.

Yeah, I was the same age when I saw it, & what you say about the (not so) special effects is correct, but I dunno, I liked it for some reason.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that the extended version would be in widescreen as the tv version info sounded like the additional 45 minutes came from the original shoot.
I think so too. I wasn't sure but felt the extended footage was probably outtakes and cut footage and not newly filmed footage like Earthquake, Midway, Two Minute Warning and Airport 77. This Wikipedia clip does seem to indicate that as well. I only saw the extended cut once when it originally aired in 1978 but remember there were some new effects scenes like Kong picking up a car with people and smashing it through a building. Normally extended footage made for tv does not include new effects scenes. In Midway the tv version added the Battle of Coral sea but all the battle scenes were reused from the battle of Midway. They just filmed some new scenes of the commanders on the bridge of the carrier Yorktown.
But as Jack mentioned if Shout only has access to a tv master of the extended cut then it is already formatted in 1.33:1. They would have to do a complete reassembly to get it in widescreen which seems unlikely due to the cost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hack