What's new

Scream Factory Press Release: King Kong Collector's Edition (1976) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I was the Fire Safety Officer back in '94 and it was an all night shoot out in the valley at some abandoned hospital/clinic.

Wings Hauser was directing (SKINS) with Linda Blair. There was a scene where he needed 2 people with coats sitting in a room when he gets off the elevator (he was directing himself). Since the location mgr. and I were the only ones available at that moment,, locations said ok and so did I. I just took off my badge.

I never saw the movie until one day at Comic-con, I went up to Linda Blair, who was signing autographs and asked her about the movie. She said she had never seen it either but knew that something was done to it and then was shipped overseas.

Oh well, now it goes by the name of GANG BOYS/Z. I see that Amazon has it, so, one of these days I'm going to have to buy it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
PJ started out as gross-out Horror director until he did LOTR and then he became the next Kubrick.

The film could have used a much smaller budget from the 207 million it had and drastically edit sown the 187 minute theatrical cut. There's only a few films I will watch that are over 160 minutes and this isn't one of them.

Ha, when I watch the Blu-ray of this, I always choose the extended version, as I think it plays better than the cinema version (& you get a few more creature scenes). I do think that Skull Island is great in this, & it could do with a film of its own, sans Kong.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Anyway.....back to Kong '76, which is the subject of the thread. I hope we get some good extras. If the TV cut is derived from a pan/scan video master, then I hope we get the deleted scenes in their widescreen format as a supplement.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Isolated score would be great. Would love a new documentary on the making of this film during the 70’s oil crisis. And some Lange deleted footage. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Happy Friday everyone! We're very pleased to present to you the final list of extras that will be on our upcoming 2-Disc Blu-ray release slated for May 11th. (You can pre-order now on our site @ https://bit.ly/39iYmDY)

DISC 1: Theatrical Cut
• NEW Audio Commentary with film historian Ray Morton (author of KING KONG – THE HISTORY OF A MOVIE ICON)
• NEW Audio interview with special makeup effects wizard Rick Baker
• NEW Something’s Haywire – an interview with actor Jack O’Halloran
• NEW On the Top of the World - an interview with assistant director David McGiffert and production manager Brian Frankish
• NEW Maybe in their Wildest Dreams – an interview with sculptor Jack Varner
• NEW There’s A Fog Bank Out There – an interview with second unit director William Kronick
• NEW From Space to Apes - an interview with photographic effects assistant Barry Nolan
• NEW When the Monkey Dies, Everybody Cries – an interview with production assistants Jeffrey Chernov and Scott Thaler
• Audio: DTS-HD 5.1 and NEW restored theatrical DTS-HD 2.0 stereo track
• Theatrical Trailer
• TV Spots
• Radio Spots
• Still Galleries – posters, lobby cards, behind-the-scenes photos
DISC 2: Extended TV Broadcast Cut
• NEW 2K scan of the additional TV footage from the internegative
• KING KONG panel discussion from the Aero Theater (2016)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From the product page; "DISC TWO: EXTENDED TV BROADCAST CUT (2.35:1)"
That's a nice change for Shout Factory. Off the top of my head, I think this is the first time that they've released a TV version in the movie's correct aspect ratio. Earthquake, Halloween II, and Two Minute Warning were all 1.33 (and HII and TMW were standard definition).

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
That's a nice change for Shout Factory. Off the top of my head, I think this is the first time that they've released a TV version in the movie's correct aspect ratio. Earthquake, Halloween II, and Two Minute Warning were all 1.33 (and HII and TMW were standard definition).
Well in the case of EARTHQUAKE and TWO-MINUTE WARNING they had to be 4:3 because the new footage shot for TV were filmed as such.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Exactly. Universal movies always had new footage filmed after the fact specifically for TV but "Kong" was a case where it was all cutting room floor material from the original shoot.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

If it's a TV version, couldn't you argue 1.33:1 is the OAR?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks