What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (6 Viewers)

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
If he listed it for $20 rather than $80, I'd have bought it by now. I'm getting such a kick out of it, but not enough to drop what I would spend on a new legit complete set of something else.

Now that you've teased us, you really ought to go ahead and buy the thing!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Hello to all of you Star Trek professors. My first post here. I spend lots of time on YouTube, in fact too much time searching for interesting and Obscure Classic TV Shows to post.

Last night I checked one of my favorite sources for good stuff which I hadn’t for a couple of months and noticed this silent clip. I pm’ed it to Nelson assuming it was probably some extra added to a prior Star Trek release. He said he wasn’t sure and that I should post it here and one of you might know about it. If it is rare hope you all enjoy. If not then I will have learned something.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hello to all of you Star Trek professors. My first post here. I spend lots of time on YouTube, in fact too much time searching for interesting and Obscure Classic TV Shows to post.

Last night I checked one of my favorite sources for good stuff which I hadn’t for a couple of months and noticed this silent clip. I pm’ed it to Nelson assuming it was probably some extra added to a prior Star Trek release. He said he wasn’t sure and that I should post it here and one of you might know about it. If it is rare hope you all enjoy. If not then I will have learned something.

Very cool! Thanks!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Does anyone actually watch discovery and Picard?

I don’t have paramount + but I have asked people who have seen it what they think about it. Most say ok at best. Inglorious treksperts have little to say about it on their Star Trek podcasts as well.

They must do well enough to warrant multiple seasons?

Overall my interest is really low based on what I’ve heard.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I don’t have paramount + but I have asked people who have seen it what they think about it. Most say ok at best. Inglorious treksperts have little to say about it on their Star Trek podcasts as well.

I abandoned STD an episode into season 2, Picard after 7 episodes in season 1.

Go with your gut. If you enjoy TOS and the Berman shows, stay far away.

If you're looking for dumb, generic, one season = one story shows that escalate the stakes every season with an even more absurdly dangerous universe threatening baddie that magically gets defeated by our hero at the last second with handwavium, and have nothing to do with Star Trek other than using some familiar names and insignia... then NuTrek is for you.

The only good thing about what CBS is currently crapping out under the Star Trek name is that they've retroactively rehabilitated Enterprise's reputation. It's been a long road...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I love Picard and Lower Decks.

Discovery I want to like more than I do. Haven’t warmed up to Prodigy yet.

Very much looking forward to Strange New Worlds.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

To answer the question, yes. If Trek is in the title, I watch it. I am on record thinking Picard was pretty horrible, Lower Decks is patently absurd, Prodigy is interesting and Discovery had a very shaky S1, but has grown on me since then. Just finished both the mid-season finale of Prodigy and the season premiere of Discovery, actually.

My series ranking:

DS9
TNG
TOS
TAS
Discovery
Enterprise
Voyager
Prodigy
Picard

Here’s the thing with the Treksperts, as far as I can tell. (Disclosure: I stopped listening to them around a year ago when the shows started having nothing to do with Trek and did an interview with Erin Gray…maybe it was more than a year ago.) Those guys know a lot about TOS. They know less about TNG. They have teased they have stories about DS9 but can’t tell them. They (Altman) likely have an acrimonious relationship with a lot of Voyager folks. Right now, I don’t think they have any connection to the people who run Trek.

So what do they talk about with those shows? They have nothing constructive to offer from where I sit…

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I've seen Discovery. The first season was really negative and "shocking" for its own sake rather than necessity. Season two was insanely good. Some of the best modern Trek I've seen. Season three was okay, just disappointing after the greatness of the second. Considering how far into the future the crew went, I expected what they found to be a lot more different from what they left behind.

Picard: f'n awful. The only time the seris came alive is when Frakes and Stewart shared scenes. Otherwise, a crushing disappointment.

Lower Decks: meh. Five minutes into the first episode and I was done. A) I don't like Star Trek as a full on comedy and 2) it was a little Rick and Morty looking for me.

I have no interest in Prodigy or any other proposed animated Trek series. TAS was the best they're gonna get.

Really looking forward to Strange New Worlds.

I loathe Mark Altman, so no Treksperts for me. Guy comes off as a major D Hole and has ever since his Sci_Fi Universe days.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

I watched S1 & S2 of Discovery and pretty much disliked it all. S2 is better than S1 but not by much. I have no plans to revisit it or continue. I've not watched Picard or any of the other newer Trek series as much as anything because they're behind a paywall. It also doesn't help my "wanting" to watch Picard that TNG is my least favorite Trek show, just above Discovery (which is below the bottom of that list AFAIK).

There are dedicated threads for the new Trek shows:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks