What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Naaaah. First, they picked a scene that really wasn't all that badly executed to begin with. There were a couple other really painful effects shots that they could've redone. Second, their version of the sky as the shuttle is landing does not match the version of the sky in the live action footage. Third, the original effects, no matter how primitive fans might find them, added a real feeling of tension and mystery to the scene. This video removes that for me. The film didn't need new flashy angles, it needed the same angles done more competently. The original camera pan of the ground zooming below them up to show the shuttle's point of view was fine and not an "effect" that needed a cgi spaceship in it.

The problem I have with fan attempts like this is that they try to make the effects hyperrealistic instead of making them more in line with what was possible at the time the film was made. The exterior space shots don't look like a sci fi film from 1989. The original planet was unique and not one of the effects fans seemed to complain about.

Besides, the greatest special effects wizards in the world couldn't fix what was wrong with the story and the fluctuating tone of the film.

It's a nice effort, and thanks for posting it, but it doesn't do anything for me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Naaaah. First, they picked a scene that really wasn't all that badly executed to begin with. There were a couple other really painful effects shots that they could've redone. Second, their version of the sky as the shuttle is landing does not match the version of the sky in the live action footage. Third, the original effects, no matter how primitive fans might find them, added a real feeling of tension and mystery to the scene. This video removes that for me. The film didn't need new flashy angles, it needed the same angles done more competently. The original camera pan of the ground zooming below them up to show the shuttle's point of view was fine and not an "effect" that needed a cgi spaceship in it.

The problem I have with fan attempts like this is that they try to make the effects hyperrealistic instead of making them more in line with what was possible at the time the film was made. The exterior space shots don't look like a sci fi film from 1989. The original planet was unique and not one of the effects fans seemed to complain about.

Besides, the greatest special effects wizards in the world couldn't fix what was wrong with the story and the fluctuating tone of the film.

It's a nice effort, and thanks for posting it, but it doesn't do anything for me.

I’ll have to look but I believe they have redone many sequences in the film. This was just the example I saw.

I think any revisions to the effects of this film would help. I also think editing it would be interesting too.

I love the music and several scenes from this film. Overall it’s not a film I watch very often.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was most interested in seeing the "Warp speed now!" scene where the original effects had a cut out of the Enterprise slide across the screen very badly. THAT they re-did well. The rest of what I looked at is still underwhelming. The Bird of Prey in de-cloaking and driving right into the camera was one of the most striking, bad-ass and "cool" shots in the film and they don't ever need to replace it. The re-done version doesn't recapture that well at all. The shuttle crash isn't any better either, in fact you can barely see the impact.

I like the approach that was taken in the director's cut of TMP: replace only those effects that DON'T work with shots that match the technology of the time. The effects team on Trek V did their work in a very old school way and while some of the shots are pretty disappointing a lot of them do work perfectly. These re-done shots are flashy and high tech but would stand out just as much as the 2006 effects for the original series do.

I may or may not be in the minority, but this get s a huge "no thanks anyway" vote. If they were to try to "fix" this film at all, I'd be okay with a couple of new shots to replace the duds and then trim the film to make it a little less ridiculous by removing the inappropriate gags. This film is what it is. I like it just fine as released in theaters.

Agreed, the score is top class Goldsmith. Really beautiful.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, I had a look at that linked video above and the Warp Speed shuttle rescue sequence. Pretty good effort. My sense is that these efforts goal might be to generate interest at Paramount and or William Shatner to revisit this title. Not that this maker of the video would get he job, but ti just generate interest.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Paramount has been approached by Shatner and many others to do a revisit of the film. They are well aware of the interest. They don't want to put the money into it.

Now Shatner is 90. I think the ship has sailed on this.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yeah, exactly, I was thinking that William Shatner may not have the interest anymore.

Wish he still had-- this was one of the biggest films in William Shatner's career (being one of the several [don't know how many] films that were made from O-R Trek and TNG), and also one of American cinema's finest in its long history, IIRC.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I saw this today and couldn't stop laughing.

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_ed8c5173...jpg

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There is an excellent book called Star Trek celebration out by Spelling.

Great podcast interview with the authors on inglorious treksperts too.

I loved their voyager celebration book and plan to get the TOS one soon.

Also exciting they are working on books for TNG and DS9 and may street for the 2022 anniversaries!!!

They also have plans for a Star Trek in the 70s book which would cover Phase II and Planet of the Titans!

Wow!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

William Shatner on the premiere of the short-lived 1975 ABC game show Blankety Blanks (OAD Monday, April 21, 1975 on ABC)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks