What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (6 Viewers)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
Here's the question, How did Scotty figure out how to dismantle the bomb?
My take on it was that as Scotty tried to remove the bomb, which may not have been tamper proof but simply relied on the fact it was hidden, it caused the dilithium crystals to fuse either by how it was hooked up or because he had to expose/damage them to remove the bomb.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
Chuck, that sounds like a reasonable theory! I wonder if some explanation was cut or not filmed.
I've always thought there was one quick conversation cut:

Kirk: Scotty, can you remove the bomb?
Scotty: Not without risking fusing the dilithium crystals. (Add in any made up reason why).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, I can see that. Perhaps they ran out of time and cut the scene or a line of dialogue. What was interesting is during the teaser, you can see Kirk talking to the bridge crew as he goes to the turbo lift and the Captain's Log is a voicing over it. So they probably felt that conversation wasn't needed. Similarly, they did the same about the bomb fusing the crystals.

So, no one around to try to answer the Kilingon question?

edit: I'm sorry to see that William Campbell died last week, I just saw this news.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
It's Victor Lundin that claims to be the first Klingon based upon which Klingon is seen first when they come through the door in Errand Of Mercy.

RIP to William Campbell, met him and John De Lancie together in the late 80's shortly after the premier of TNG. Both were terrific and John D was still in a bit of shell shock about how this little guest star character of Q (in his mind, like any other guest star role he has had in the many shows he did in the late 70's and 80's) had made him a hot commodity in Trek fandom.

Nelson Au said:
/forum/thread/270103/star-trek-trivia-series-and-films/1500#post_3806749
Chuck, I can see that. Perhaps they ran out of time and cut the scene or a line of dialogue. What was interesting is during the teaser, you can see Kirk talking to the bridge crew as he goes to the turbo lift and the Captain's Log is a voicing over it. So they probably felt that conversation wasn't needed. Similarly, they did the same about the bomb fusing the crystals.

So, no one around to try to answer the Kilingon question?

edit: I'm sorry to see that William Campbell died last week, I just saw this news.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thats right Michael! I was surprised to read that he makes that claim to be the first Klingon. Errand of Mercy is one of my favorites, so I'll have to rewatch that scene to see him appear first. "I swear! "

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Just a quick note on William Campbell. On the special features to one of the Trek series (it was either TOS or DS9, I believe), William Campbell had only the most positive things to say about his having worked on Trek. I would recommend the segment to anyone who loves any of the shows. The interview was quite enjoyable and informative, and it was heartwarming to hear his Trek memories. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott, good to hear from you!
I think I must have forgotten or missed seeing that interview with William Campbell, I'll look for. Thanks!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

I thought this was an interesting bit of trivia (though I'm not asking it as a question).

Tonight, I watched a season two episode of Mission: Impossible, and in the episode are Mark Lenard and Jack Donner. As I'm sure you know, Mark Lenard played Spock's father, but he also played a Romulan in Balance of Terror. And Jack Donner played Sub-Commander Tal in The Enterprise Incident, as well as playing a Vulcan in an episode of Enterprise. So both played a Romulan and Vulcan. Are you ready for this? The title of the Mission: Impossible episode was ... Trek (season two, episode two).

Anyway, I have no idea who ought to go next, so if you have a question, feel free to ask one. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott! Great to hear from you, it's been a long time.
Thanks for the heads up regarding Mission: Impossible. I was actually watching Season One and Two last year. I remember seeing Lenard, but not Jack Donner. I'll have to rewatch that one!
It's been so long since the trivia questions have been going, I think it's up for grabs for anyone to put out a question.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

I didn't know it was Donner either, until I saw the credits. Then I recalled having seen him in the episode.

Okay, here's a question. Name the episode from which this image is taken:

769cec57_13obr25.jpg

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Excluding Ruth, since she was just a teenager at the time and we don't know what really happened to her, who is the only one of Captain Kirk's old girlfriends (at least of the ones we meet) lacking an M.D. or Ph.D. degree?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm having some difficulty distinguishing between Kirk's old girlfriends and women he met and liked for a short time (Lenore Karidian, Edith Keeler, Rayna Kopec, etc.). (BTW, I realize that some of these had a degree or two -- and in the case of Rayna, the equivalent of seventeen(!) university degrees. I am just listing them as examples.) A good question, though.

My first guess? How about Areel Shaw?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Correct!
For disclosure purposes, the old girlfriend list I came up with was:
Ruth
Areel Shaw
Janet Wallace
Janice Lester
Carol Marcus
An arguable case would be Helen Noel, but she wouldn't screw up the answer either way.
Your question, Scott.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Okay, give me the two names that the plant in Sulu's quarters is referred to in The Man Trap.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's a good one Scott. I have not seen Man Trap in a long time.
I think one is Beauregard. I want to say Gertrude is the other. It's a "he" plant, a girl can tell! :)
I always thought that set was the botanical lab or some sort of similar thing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Yep, those are exactly the two names I was thinking of for this question. You're up next, and I'm now off to watch an episode of TOS. I won't know which one until I go into my library....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks