What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

I watched Obsession last night. It seems as though Garrovick is only in the scene (still) where two of the three guys are 'dead' -- he's clearly not one of the three (in Rizzo's team) before the cloud creature strikes. BTW, I like how the make-up on the two 'dead' men is quite different (very white) than it is on Rizzo, who is clinging to life....

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
I do have the 365 book. It's a really nice book, but not very informative if you really know Star Trek. What is has going for it is a few pages of descriptions per episode, some background information on production and as mentioned above by Alex, some rare photos. The other thing that makes this book a little unique, and worth having, is the author's point of view. I believe the original selling point I read to promote the book was that it put Star Trek in some historical perspective and talks about the times it was made when America was a different place. There were race riots and the Vietnam War was going on at the time. And we all know how that affected some storylines.

A long time fan will enjoy it as much as a new comer will.

I hope you enjoy it Xenia! Thanks for the very informative description Nelson !!! I ordered the book, cant wait to receive it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tell us how you like the book Xenia!

Hey Scott, Yes, regarding the make-up used on the two dead crewman after the cloud attacks them, I really noticed that more when the DVD's came out. But as I recall, it really shows more on the blu rays! The next time I watch Obsession, I'll look for the 2 Eddie Paskey appearances!

On another note, I was listening to Court Martial today in the car. Interesting to see that today in regards to Cogley's point of view on computers and books. Computers are souless machines. True. However, I was thinking that now we have eBooks, what the writers at the time probably hadn't realized was that the books are no different today then they were in 1966. They are written by humans and the computers and mobile devices, iPads are so much like the Padds used on Trek from TOS to all other series, are simply a new way to consume the material. And it does take up a lot less space as Cogley said!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Actually, I think it was Kirk who brought up the space-saving advantage of the computer terminal. Cogley remained adamant about the value of physical books. I do believe that eBooks are the wave of the future, but I hope there will always be a place for some real bound volumes; law books or otherwise.
Speaking of which, I enjoyed Star Trek 365, too. Some thoughtful writing, but some really outstanding pictures.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Nelson, I got the book in the mail yesterday. Im just a casual Trek fan. As Spock would say "Fascinating" ! Im not even halfway through, theres alot to take in here, photos and the paper they are printed on are AAA quality. Love all the info, on the behind the scenes of the show, some stuff I never knew. Like the NBC executives didnt want Spock in the show !!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Xenia, glad you're enjoying the book! I think I'll take my copy out too and go through some more pages!

I was thinking of some trivia! We're into 2011 and no trivia!

While not a proper trivia question, I was thinking about something the other day. In all the early spoofs and parodies of Star Trek, they picked on certain things and exaggerated it. Like Saturday Night Live's parody with John Belushi as Kirk.

So for example, in Metamorphosis, Kirk has his impassioned speech to the Companion about why it is wrong to keep them there. And later his even greater speech about love. Because of his particular speech pattern, Shatner's delivery of the word Love, became one item of parody. It's still one of my top 5 favorite episodes of TOS for content and ideas. Yet, it's been a source of parody of Shatner's performance as Kirk.

So can you guys name other really specific instances, a scene or action that took place that was parodied? I am thinking of one very specific scene in season 1 that was spoofed on Saturday Night Live. I'm sure there are others. Actually there is one other scene well done on a show in the early 80's. That probably gave it away!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Kirk cracks me up every time he has "abdominal cramps". He looks like he could crap his pants. Return to Tomorrow, when Sargon takes over Kirk's body comes to mind, as an example. His "cramps" have been parodied many times.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Nelson, speaking of that parody with the late John Belushi, makes me long for something. It makes me wish they would make a movie , that shows what went on behind the scenes from the beginning of the show, up to its cancellation. Im not talking a made for tv movie either, a big theatrical release. Anyone else wish for this? If they had to do it made for tv style , they could do it like the batman tv movie Return to the batcave. They could have Shatner and Nimoy remininscing with flashbacks from new actors. Maybe a cameo from the Gorn, and the talosians.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
South Park parodies the show affectionately and frequently. Dagger of the Mind, Miri, and Mirror, Mirror have formed the bases for whole episodes and one show uses a whole scene from The Gamesters of Triskelion with dialogue and music reproduced exactly. Also, The Big Bang Theory has used many episodes as references, including showing a Gorn in a dream and quoting regulations from The Doomsday Machine.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Xenia, that's a very nice sentiment to hope for a film about TOS during the days of 1966 to 1969. I think that there's been a lot of documentaries done on the subject and books too. In the same vein, I don't think anythings been done with younger actors portraying the original actors in a dramatization of that period on the set of Star Trek. Not sure I'd want to see that. I already know that some of them had issues with Shatner. The materials that are out there now I am pretty happy with. Sure, it's always cool to see new images we've never seen before on the set of the series. And I bet there's a lot of private photos taken by the cast and crew that will not surface. However, the coolest thing to surface is the home movies taken by William Blackburn that are a part of the most recent DVD sets and Blu Ray sets from 2007.

I haven't seen any of these more recent parodies. But I do watch The Big Bang Theory and they are very affectionate towards Star Trek. The shot of the Gorn in Sheldon's seat was a hoot.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Nelson, I never knew any of the actors had issues with Shatner. Also, thanks for mentioning those Star Trek home movies. I still need to get around watching the bonus material on t.o.s. Blu- Rays.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Both James Doohan and George Takei made comments about Shatner during the 90's after they finished with the film series. Doohan had said he and Shatner came to terms shortly before Doohan's death. But Takei is still openly angry. Shatner has reached out to both of them. I think even Nichelle Nichols at some point had some problems but I think that's over.

Shatner had always had a close relationship with Nimoy and Kelley. I think Shatner's point is that the second tier actors over the years, because of the tremendous fandom of the 70's and 80's got it in their heads they should have as much as Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley in terms of screen time or contributions. And they felt, even back during the series, that he put them down. While Shatner was sort of oblivious to that because he was so focused as the lead and carrying the series.

It sounds like a work place issue. And no one started out to put anyone down.

Definitely watch those extras on the blu rays! They appear to all get along! While not in the blu ray set, the infamous blooper reels show the cast having fun too!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Wow Nelson, you really know your Star Trek ! Thanks for sharing! If I ever have a question about Star Trek, I know who to come to. Ive finally finished up Season 3 on Blu-Ray. Its the only season that I hadnt seen every episode, my personal favorite is the cloud minders.I even kind of like Spocks brain, in a so bad its good way. Have to get around to the bonus features on each set soon.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'd heard about the cast's dissatisfaction with Shatner at least back in the 80s. The most common complaint was that he'd hog the screen time on TV and in the films to their detriment. Aside from Nimoy and Kelly, Shatner didn't have friends among the cast. The rest of the cast did not have anything bad to say about Nimoy and Kelly, however.

All of this is parodied very well in the movie Galaxy Quest, with Tim Allen playing the Shatner character. IMO, that's the best "behind the scenes" movie you're going to get.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You're right Sam. I recall there was some animosity that came out in the 80's too. And I heard those stories of Shatner taking lines away from other cast members.
When I watch TOS today, there are times I think that so and so could have spoken that line instead of Shatner. But you gotta love him as Kirk! :)
I really like the story of how Nimoy would not do the animated series unless they could find the money to add Nichols and Takei. They couldn't add Keonig, but he got to contribute story-wise.
Hey Xenia, thanks, but I think the members here know a lot about Star Trek too.
Galaxy Quest used to be called "that other Star Trek" film! :)
Well, since no one has chimed in about the specific instances in TOS I was thinking of that was parodied, here is one:
In the Saturday Night Live skit, Belushi orders Sulu to take evasive action to evade the ship chasing them. He orders hard to port and hard to starboard, and so on. And they tilt the camera back and forth as the cast leans to one side and the other. Chevy Chase as Spock then exclaims he's tired! Whenever I see The Squire of Gothos,and the sequence when the Enterprise is trying to evade Gothos, Kirk orders evasive action. He orders hard to port and hard to starboard, etc. And the camera is tilting back and forth! So for me, that was the inspiration for that SNL skit!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Who has the next question? Is there one still being worked on at the moment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks