What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (5 Viewers)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
It's Bart LaRue, although I am sure that they had Jimmy record it too, in case they didn't get anyone else. Same thing happened with Yesteryear. Jimmy recorded Sarek's lines in case they couldn't get Mark Leonard. They did but for some time, Jimmy thought the voice he did for Sarek was used in the final show.

FanCollector said:
It's Bart LaRue that does his voice. That was confirmed in one of the BG books on TOS. I don't recall which though.

Edit: My bad, Doohan confirmed it in a Starlog Magazine interview in 1988

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I was browsing the listings for Profiles In History's next auction, and there's a lot of neat Trek pieces from all eras. But this one is a real gem.

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/items/hollywood-memorabilia-auction-43/collection-of-original-photos-and-negatives-documenting-the-1968-caltech-student-protest-to-keep-star-trek-on-the-air.html

I love the photo of the Enterprise opening fire on NBC, but the protest sign with "Sarnoff is a Klingon" cracked me up. My Dad was a long time RCA employee, (before G.E. gobbled it up) and might not have appreciated that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Those pics are wonderful. It's the first time I've ever seen many of them. Thanks for posting. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Cool, there's a few of those protest images I've never seen before as well. Thanks Bill. I have to wonder where those protesters are today! :)
I like the one of the Enterprise firing phasers on NBC! Tempting to make a bid on those.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I had to wonder when some online "fans" were belittling similar efforts to save Enterprise, if they had any knowledge of the fandom's history at all.

Seeing those photos makes me wish there was a documentary focusing on those early days, while the original "trekkies" are still around to tell their stories. The suits at NBC and Paramount got to tell their side of things in a 1999 doc that's still not on DVD.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Jeffrey Combs was the one I was thinking of, with (to my count) 9 (or 10) roles.

* Brunt
* Weyoun (4-5 of them I believe)
* Shran
* Tiron (DS9's Meridian)
* Kevin Mulkahey (DS9's From Beyond the Stars)
* Penk (VOY's Tsunkatse (sp?))
* Krem (the Ferengi in Enterprise)
* Random Holosuite guest in DS9's What You Leave Behind
* A Wormhole prophet
* Mirror Brunt

He also did voice work on at least two Trek video games, and auditioned for the role of Riker. Other odd trivia: He was one of two actors to play two roles in the same episode (Patrick Stewart was the other), and Combs is the only one to be actually credited twice in the same episode, once for each role. :)

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Originally Posted by FanCollector
William Shatner played two roles in Operation: Annihilate. (There are other, more arguable, instances, too.)
New random challenge:

Can we get all of those times when someone played two different roles in the same episode? Split up by "totally different" (ala Weyoun and Brunt) v "sorta different" (ala Kirk and Mirror Kirk)?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
How about Patrick Stewart as Picard and as the English soldier in the Holodeck Shakespeare simulation where Data is learning about humanity via the play. It is from The Defector, one of the great pairs of Romulan episodes of S3!
And I almost forgot Jonathan Frakes played William T. Riker and Thomas Riker. The Thomas Riker who was split in two people after a transporter mishap, and is now languishing in a Cardassian prison. :(

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Going back to Day One, William Shatner, DeForest Kelley and Bruce Watson (Green) all played two characters in "The Man Trap."

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Didn't Leslie (Eddie Paskey) play two different roles in Obsession (one dead and then one alive)?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Kirk was ever mimicked by the Salt Vampire in The Man Trap, just McCoy and Green.
Scott, I do remember Eddie Paskey played another crewman in Mudd's Women. McCoy shushed him out of Sick Bay when one of the women came in. I think McCoy called him Smithers or a named that sounded like that. :)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Hey everyone , I wanted to ask if anybody ever got this Star Trek book. Its called Star Trek 365, its a hardcover book talking about the Original Series over 700 pages! Anyone have this, and is it worth getting ??

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
You're right, of course, Nelson. Let me make it up with some other instances of Shatner actually playing two parts:
What Are Little Girls Made Of?
Whom Gods Destroy
Star Trek VI
Possible cases:
The Enemy Within
Return to Tomorrow
Turnabout Intruder
Mirror, Mirror
Very Arguable case:
A Taste of Armageddon

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I haven't picked up Star Trek 365, but flipping through it, it appeared to have a bunch of really nice photos from episodes, on set material, etc.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I do have the 365 book. It's a really nice book, but not very informative if you really know Star Trek. What is has going for it is a few pages of descriptions per episode, some background information on production and as mentioned above by Alex, some rare photos. The other thing that makes this book a little unique, and worth having, is the author's point of view. I believe the original selling point I read to promote the book was that it put Star Trek in some historical perspective and talks about the times it was made when America was a different place. There were race riots and the Vietnam War was going on at the time. And we all know how that affected some storylines.

A long time fan will enjoy it as much as a new comer will.

I hope you enjoy it Xenia!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
I don't think Kirk was ever mimicked by the Salt Vampire in The Man Trap, just McCoy and Green.
Scott, I do remember Eddie Paskey played another crewman in Mudd's Women. McCoy shushed him out of Sick Bay when one of the women came in. I think McCoy called him Smithers or a named that sounded like that.
Nelson,

Yes, I believe Paskey was in no. 4 (Mudd's Women) as you say. But I also think he was in Obsession twice (both dead and alive). I've frozen the opening frames after the cloud has killed all but Rizzo -- and goodness, it really does look like Paskey! Have you ever noticed this before? (BTW, one of the other 'dead' men also looks like ... Garrovick!)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I think it is true that Paskey did appear twice in Obsession, I think I read about that once. But I haven't looked for it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks