1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ockeghem, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Only in the stereo mix, the music was replaced in part two for the fade-in's. The Varese Sarabande rerecordings for some of them, The Doomsday Machine for the intro to act one. The VHS, Laserdisc and "mono" mix on the Blu Rays are correct

Osato likes this.
  2. Moore Maxx

Moore Maxx Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed "ST Into Darkness" but I would have changed the ending. I would have liked for the crew to discover that this was not really Khan. He was a product of the Eugenics Wars and a follower/stalker of Khan. Banished by Khan because even he found him to be to insane. He follows Khan into space in his own ship and when discovered by Marcus calls himself Khan. In the end he confesses to not being the real Khan and as we listen to him tell his story in voiceover, they dissolve to deep space and the camera comes across a familiar ship floating in space. We see the name Botany Bay on the side and Cumberbatch finishes his speech saying something like, "He's still out there Kirk, and he will be found. And heaven help anyone who crosses his path". This is when the camera focuses in on the all to familiar face of the Khan we all know and love still sleeping with a creepy smile on his face. Fade to black.

KPmusmag likes this.
  3. Osato

Osato Producer

I find into darkness polarizing. I want to like it but it just misses the target

4. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Don't get me started on STID. There are so many things wrong with this movie, I refuse to own it.

Osato likes this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I just watched it over the weekend and I still enjoy it tremendously. I think that the final action scene with Spock and Khan goes on for too long, but that's not really a specific to Star Trek nitpick; I tend to feel that way about almost all third act action sequences.

I still think that one of the most inspired ideas they had when launching the reboot film series was to set it in an alternate universe that, by definition, gave similar but different backgrounds to many of the characters. I love that I can watch it and I don't even have to play that game of, "It doesn't seem like the Kirk I knew" because it's right in the story's DNA that it's not the same Kirk I knew. I think it's also interesting from that perspective of "How much of who we are is in the DNA, and how much is in how we're raised?". So we get to spend time with familiar characters and familiar situations, but we can still be surprised by the interactions and outcomes.

TravisR likes this.
  6. Osato

Osato Producer

I just sold my copy a week ago

7. Osato

Osato Producer

But I plan on eventually picking up all the jj films on UHd Blu Ray...

Which will help
    Paramount release the other trek films in UHd..

Or so they told us???

8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think that ship has sailed.

If they’re not putting their new 4K restoration of It’s A Wonderful Life on disc, which is a one of the handful of classic titles that consistently sells, or the already completed 4K remaster Of TWOK, everything else is a long shot.

I think they were looking at initial sales of the UHD versions back in 2016. I’m not sure individual sales in 2019 would really move the needle. By all means, get them if you want them - one day I will. But I don’t think a handful of extra copies of the ‘09 movie selling will motivate them to do the original series at this point.

Osato likes this.
  9. Osato

Osato Producer

Agreed

Josh Steinberg likes this.