What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (9 Viewers)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I’ve always wondered about the music during the teaser in Part 2. It sounds out of place. Maybe it was inserted or the music was replaced after the series was released on tape and laserdisc.

Only in the stereo mix, the music was replaced in part two for the fade-in's. The Varese Sarabande rerecordings for some of them, The Doomsday Machine for the intro to act one. The VHS, Laserdisc and "mono" mix on the Blu Rays are correct

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed "ST Into Darkness" but I would have changed the ending. I would have liked for the crew to discover that this was not really Khan. He was a product of the Eugenics Wars and a follower/stalker of Khan. Banished by Khan because even he found him to be to insane. He follows Khan into space in his own ship and when discovered by Marcus calls himself Khan. In the end he confesses to not being the real Khan and as we listen to him tell his story in voiceover, they dissolve to deep space and the camera comes across a familiar ship floating in space. We see the name Botany Bay on the side and Cumberbatch finishes his speech saying something like, "He's still out there Kirk, and he will be found. And heaven help anyone who crosses his path". This is when the camera focuses in on the all to familiar face of the Khan we all know and love still sleeping with a creepy smile on his face. Fade to black.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I enjoyed "ST Into Darkness" but I would have changed the ending. I would have liked for the crew to discover that this was not really Khan. He was a product of the Eugenics Wars and a follower/stalker of Khan. Banished by Khan because even he found him to be to insane. He follows Khan into space in his own ship and when discovered by Marcus calls himself Khan. In the end he confesses to not being the real Khan and as we listen to him tell his story in voiceover, they dissolve to deep space and the camera comes across a familiar ship floating in space. We see the name Botany Bay on the side and Cumberbatch finishes his speech saying something like, "He's still out there Kirk, and he will be found. And heaven help anyone who crosses his path". This is when the camera focuses in on the all to familiar face of the Khan we all know and love still sleeping with a creepy smile on his face. Fade to black.

I find into darkness polarizing. I want to like it but it just misses the target

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just watched it over the weekend and I still enjoy it tremendously. I think that the final action scene with Spock and Khan goes on for too long, but that's not really a specific to Star Trek nitpick; I tend to feel that way about almost all third act action sequences.

I still think that one of the most inspired ideas they had when launching the reboot film series was to set it in an alternate universe that, by definition, gave similar but different backgrounds to many of the characters. I love that I can watch it and I don't even have to play that game of, "It doesn't seem like the Kirk I knew" because it's right in the story's DNA that it's not the same Kirk I knew. I think it's also interesting from that perspective of "How much of who we are is in the DNA, and how much is in how we're raised?". So we get to spend time with familiar characters and familiar situations, but we can still be surprised by the interactions and outcomes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that ship has sailed.

If they’re not putting their new 4K restoration of It’s A Wonderful Life on disc, which is a one of the handful of classic titles that consistently sells, or the already completed 4K remaster Of TWOK, everything else is a long shot.

I think they were looking at initial sales of the UHD versions back in 2016. I’m not sure individual sales in 2019 would really move the needle. By all means, get them if you want them - one day I will. But I don’t think a handful of extra copies of the ‘09 movie selling will motivate them to do the original series at this point.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I think that ship has sailed.

If they’re not putting their new 4K restoration of It’s A Wonderful Life on disc, which is a one of the handful of classic titles that consistently sells, or the already completed 4K remaster Of TWOK, everything else is a long shot.

I think they were looking at initial sales of the UHD versions back in 2016. I’m not sure individual sales in 2019 would really move the needle. By all means, get them if you want them - one day I will. But I don’t think a handful of extra copies of the ‘09 movie selling will motivate them to do the original series at this point.

Agreed

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, one of my recent obsessions is chasing and collecting found items used on Star Trek. For example, I was able to find the chess pieces used on the 3D chess prop that Spock uses and Charlie destroys.

A harder item is the coffee pitcher used on Corbomite Maneuver. The guys on Star Trek New Voyages has a complete set, pitcher, creamer and sugar bowl container seen on the briefing room table.

I finally found the pitcher, though missing the lid.

EB47C5AE-AC92-4D90-A7CF-192BE096AC50.jpeg
I used a hand phaser and zap, hot coffee!

Hope to find the creamer and sugar bowl. Then the Saurian brandy bottle which is much easier to find.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hey guys, one of my recent obsessions is chasing and collecting found items used on Star Trek. For example, I was able to find the chess pieces used on the 3D chess prop that Spock uses and Charlie destroys.

A harder item is the coffee pitcher used on Corbomite Maneuver. The guys on Star Trek New Voyages has a complete set, pitcher, creamer and sugar bowl container seen on the briefing room table.

View attachment 59924

Hope to find the creamer and sugar bowl. Then the Saurian brandy bottle which is much easier to find.

Awesome!!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

View attachment 59924

Are you finding the actual props and not reproductions?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What I have been chasing are the actual items that the production company found and bought or borrowed that are actual real world products that anyone could have bought at their local stores.

The chess pieces are real chess pieces made by Ganine. They made several styles. The chess set used on Star Trek is called the Classic Style from 1961. These are the pieces showcased in Charlie X. They also used the Gothic style in other episodes. I have that set too. Another set was used in Where No Man Has Gone Before during the rec room scene when Kirk and Spock are playing chess. I don’t have that set. And if you’re going to ask, no I don’t have the 3D chess board. I’m collecting the parts to build one. Parts are hard to come by, they are from a 3D Tic-Tac-Toe game made with square clear plastic boards. I have one set, and I need to find another set of the smaller boards used. Or I’ll fabricate the board from scratch.

The coffee carafe is made by a Swedish company called Gabis. It was designed by Nils Nisbel.

The Saurian Brandy bottle is real too. It’s a bottle from George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey. The bottle came with the leather strap too, the production company dyed the strap red and added a red piece of tape to cover the markings on the glass.

Another oddity is a bottle Scotty has that has some liquor that he serves Tomar in By Any Other Name. “What is it?” “It’s green!” I’m looking for one of those. These items show up in many episodes.

There are fans who’ve collected all the bottles used during TOS or as many as can be found.

I’m also looking for the fork and knives set. That one is even harder to find. The set user in 2001: A Space Odyssey is more common. I’d also like a set of those.

What’s difficult now is people know these items were in Star Trek so they sell for very high asking prices.

Sure it’s a bit of an odd avocation, not something I had interest in pursuing until recent years. For me it’s also a way to collect some interesting mid century design.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And if you’re going to ask, no I don’t have the 3D chess board. I’m collecting the parts to build one. Parts are hard to come by, they are from a 3D Tic-Tac-Toe game made with square clear plastic boards. I have one set, and I need to find another set of the smaller boards used. Or I’ll fabricate the board from scratch.
Must erase fact that they’re playing tic-tac-toe from brain. Hard to assimilate. Does not compute. ;)
Sure it’s a bit of an odd avocation, not something I had interest in pursuing until recent years. For me it’s also a way to collect some interesting mid century design.
Hey, we’re all odd here. You must have a room dedicated to storing and displaying all this stuff.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Johnny. I don’t have that much as of now. The carafe is on my kitchen counter. The chess sets are in a closet. As is the tic tab toe set. When I do a remodel of the kitchen, I was going to display the carafe and bottles on a cabinet or shelf.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I watched the Voyager season 4 2-part Year of Hell last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has action, peril, courage, sacrifice, suspense and some compelling philosophical issues. It had been long enough since I had seen it that I couldn't remember all of the plot points, and the epilogue totally surprised me, no memory of that at all. I loved the interaction between Chakotay and Paris when they were discussing the Krenim commander's actions and motivations.

If someone had asked me, I would have sworn this was a season cliffhanger, but it was actually fairly early in season 4, eps 8 and 9. Had Voyager ever had the opportunity to do a theatrical movie, I think this story would have been a good candidate for the plot; IMO there is enough there that it could easily be fleshed out a bit more for the big screen.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I watched the Voyager season 4 2-part Year of Hell last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has action, peril, courage, sacrifice, suspense and some compelling philosophical issues. It had been long enough since I had seen it that I couldn't remember all of the plot points, and the epilogue totally surprised me, no memory of that at all. I loved the interaction between Chakotay and Paris when they were discussing the Krenim commander's actions and motivations.

If someone had asked me, I would have sworn this was a season cliffhanger, but it was actually fairly early in season 4, eps 8 and 9. Had Voyager ever had the opportunity to do a theatrical movie, I think this story would have been a good candidate for the plot; IMO there is enough there that it could easily be fleshed out a bit more for the big screen.

The original idea was for the story to play out over an entire season. A literal Year of Hell. But UPN didn't want to do it, so it became a two-parter. I enjoyed it a lot. The literal reset button at the end was a tiny cop out, but a necessary one.

When Voyager was really good, it was f'n epic. When it was bad, though, it was the absolute dregs.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
The original idea was for the story to play out over an entire season. A literal Year of Hell. But UPN didn't want to do it, so it became a two-parter. I enjoyed it a lot. The literal reset button at the end was a tiny cop out, but a necessary one.

When Voyager was really good, it was f'n epic. When it was bad, though, it was the absolute dregs.

Interesting, thanks for that bit of info, I didn't know it was originally conceived as a whole season arc. Agree with your "reset button" comment, and it seems to happen in time travel stories pretty often. As for whole season arcs, TBH I got a little tired of the Expanse/Xindi arc in Enterprise, although there were some really good episodes in there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I avoided Voyager for so long because I had hated the pilot when it first aired, and never felt the desire to return. A few years ago, I decided to give it a shot since I had seen every other Trek thing and wanted more Trek, and I'm glad I gave it a second chance. Perhaps the reason I enjoyed it so much is because my expectations were so low that it far exceeded what I was counting on seeing.

But with that said, I think their finale episode was beyond awful.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I remember at the time Year of Hell aired, one of my good Star Trek friends felt it was an excuse to wreck the ship. And I recall the forum comments were not very positive because of the Ex Deus Machina ending. And I thought it was funny in another episode I recall Janeway making a comment on Ex Deus Machina endings as if that comment was written in response to the fan criticisms. I don’t recall the exact episode.

I don’t recall reading that this idea was meant as a season long arc. Perhaps it was a good call to make it a two parter.

Users who are viewing this thread

• EdG

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks