What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
how upset would any of us be if the VCR had ate Catspaw instead
"Maybe we can't break it, but I'll bet you credits to navy beans we can put a dent in it!"
vlcsnap-2019-04-24-23h46m01s761.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Josh. I can relate that last weekend while watching a DVD I’d not seen before of a Hitchcock film for my Hitchcock project, it froze 3/4 of the way through and would not play beyond that point. It was getting good too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Enjoy the new VCR Josh! Glad it’s working.

Call me silly too. I just found and bought a second copy of a DVD of a Hitchcock film that was part of a box set. It’s the one I mentioned that was freezing 3/4 of the way through. Luckily MGM was selling some of the titles in the box set individually and I grabbed it. On a side note, when I put the disc in my Blu Ray player, it asked if I wanted to resume from the same place, and I did and this disc plays all the way through!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
UHD discs don’t have region coding at all so you’ll be good!

If they also include regular Blu-ray copies, those could be region locked.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Does anyone know if the German release of the kelvin films on UHd Blu Ray is region free?

I ordered the blu rays of the vault collection and animated series from amazon UK as it was a lot cheaper and they are region free. Thanks!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-3er-Box-UHD-Blu-ray/dp/B077V16FSG

I stand to be corrected, but the foreign digital codes will not apply in the US.

The US UHD Kelvin Timeline discs offer HDR and Dolby Atmos. Plus digital codes. Those codes allow you to stream (from iTunes or VUDU) the Star Trek movies in Dolby Vision--- iTunes doesn't offer Dolby Atmos (at least for now) while VUDU does, . Of course, all this may not make a difference in your case.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just redeemed 112 movie codes on Google Play, Apple TV, Flixster, (still operating in Canada) and iTunes. I am going through my collection, and doing a blitz. I have about 100 more to check.

I was surprised by the amount of codes that had an expiry date, but still worked. Even movies like “Tin Tin” and “The Great Gatsby” still were viable. Many blus did not come with codes at all.

What did not work were most codes from the USA or Britain. I have a thick envelope of these and am saving them in case I find a solution. Some send you to VUDU (not available in Canada). There should soon be a replacement for Flixster. Perhaps it will be a “Movies Anywhere” which will accept some of these codes.

I have probably about 25 blus, which came with a DVD disc and number code. You are to insert the disc in your computer and then put in a code. Are these completely obsolete now?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was surfing Youtube last night and found a Clip suggesting That the Picard series is in trouble due to cost overruns among other things. If thats true, it doesn't sound like a long lasting thing. It sounds more like it will be a long movies split up into episodes like Cobra Kai is

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I stand to be corrected, but the foreign digital codes will not apply in the US.

The US UHD Kelvin Timeline discs offer HDR and Dolby Atmos. Plus digital codes. Those codes allow you to stream (from iTunes or VUDU) the Star Trek movies in Dolby Vision--- iTunes doesn't offer Dolby Atmos (at least for now) while VUDU does, . Of course, all this may not make a difference in your case.

Understood. Thanks!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I was surfing Youtube last night and found a Clip suggesting That the Picard series is in trouble due to cost overruns among other things. If thats true, it doesn't sound like a long lasting thing. It sounds more like it will be a long movies split up into episodes like Cobra Kai is
The same thing happened with Discovery, but they figured it out eventually.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The same thing happened with Discovery, but they figured it out eventually.
Yes, DSC figured it out eventually, but at what cost? One damaged season and a second season spent, albeit entertainingly, repairing the damage from the first. If the Picard series is in trouble, it's from the production designs that look nothing like TNG. They have little or no Star Trek recognition value, the marketers aren't biting, so the designs are being redrawn. Hence, the overruns. Last I heard, rehearsals continue.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Midnight's Edge? Nerdrotic? Or Doom*ock? Those three are the biggest anti-Trek anything I know about. I actively avoid all three because of their 100% slanted coverage. Their information may be correct, but I can't stand the hyperbole.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just to comment on what Alan said above, from the statements that Sir Patrick Stewart made at conventions and interviews, I knew this new series wouldn’t have much in common visually or in tone with TNG. He said so much and it would not be the same exact person as he’s aged 20 years. He wants to do something different or else why do it.

So my expectations are set very differently now. I’m not expecting the TNG of the 1990’s. I’m expecting the series to be very jarring. The shock I expect is to go from Star Trek TOS 1966 to JJ Abrams Star Trek or George Lucas 1977 A New Hope to Johnson Last of the Jedi. And that much change is not just visual but everything I bet. It’s not going to be the same.

So I’m looking forward to sample it with an open mind. But I’m not expecting anything. And I meant to add, if they are retooling the show to meet marketing demands that it has more Star Trek recognition value, I would say that’s a shame. I would be curious to see what they have in mind. It might be bad, or it could be a new creative vision that’s good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks