1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ockeghem, Mar 9, 2008.

1. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John

Yeah, I went back and Checked my History. It was from Midnight's Edge dated March 30, 2019

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Ten years ago tonight, “Star Trek” was released in theaters.

I know it wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea and I have no desire to rehash those old discussions. We all like what we like and that’s fine.

For those who liked the movie, what an incredible gift this was. Star Trek, the most important bit of entertainment from my childhood, had long seemed dead. To get it back in such spectacular fashion was a gift I wouldn’t have even known to ask for.

That Nimoy was around and gave it his blessing made it truly special.

36DF9FE5-8053-4F07-8BD4-5F599CBA0D48.

TravisR, Osato and Doug Wallen like this.
  3. John*Wells

John
    Is the 4th film in the Kelvin timeline actually dead? Or is Paramount waiting to see if they can convince Chris Pine to change his mind ? I know they shelved it and it seems to me that Pine has good reason for not partaking

Osato likes this.
  4. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I like it more now than I did then, great score, nice care and love in the production. I just wish Nero hadn't been written so flatly. What a wasted opportunity. I think if Nero had some depth, this would be something even better in a much bigger way.

B-ROLL, Mrs. Carab and Osato like this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    No official announcement has been made. They had signed a director, and according to industry trades, the studio released her from the contractual timeframe that the film was intended to shoot (but apparently didn’t cancel the contract altogether).

I would bet that behind the scenes, Pine’s agent and Paramount are engaged in an ongoing game of chicken.

B-ROLL and Osato like this.
  6. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    The longer they take, the odds of them getting everybody back are slim. I have pretty much excepted that this series is done. I’m sad about it, because I think they finally really hit their stride with the last one. Especially in the portrayal of Jim Kirk. Chris Pine was never better, and even though aspects of the film were fairly derivative, it was still an excellent movie. It really captured the spirit of the original series and the relationships. The fact that they actually focused on Kirk, Spock and McCoy as the big three rather than Kirk, Spock and Uhura made me smile. They felt more like a legitimate crew on a paramilitary ship then a bunch of college dudes in space.

Osato, Doug Wallen and Josh Steinberg like this.
  7. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Yeah, agreed. The ‘09 movie offered such potential for a new ongoing series, and Paramount made an immediate mistake waiting four years to launch a sequel. I don’t think the series ever recovered it’s momentum from that very early misstep. It’s a real shame; I would have loved to get twenty years worth of movies out of that cast.

Sam Favate and Osato like this.
  8. John*Wells

John
    Would they recast Checkov ? Or would he just be written out

Osato likes this.
  9. Osato

Osato Producer

Loved seeing the 2009 kJ trek movie! It exceeded my expectations!

I just picked up the vinyl version of the soundtrack on eBay. It was a record shop day release just a few weeks ago.

I walked out of the theater so excited and loving that Star Trek was back!

Then the wait and well....

Beyond was a good film though too.

It would be nice to see more of Star Trek being Star Trek. Beyond was a good step but the big explosion ending seems to be a staple of every film.

I’m hoping to pick up all of the kelvin trek films in UHd Blu Ray this year. I just sold my Blu Ray copies as well.

10. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I believe Abrams had said in 2016 that the role would not be recast. Easy enough to transfer him to another ship. Maybe one that begins with an “R”?

Osato and John*Wells like this.
  11. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hard to believe it’s been 10 years. I recently began an experiment to redeem some digital codes from the Star Trek Kelvin films. So I’ve been sampling some of the films scenes again. I still don’t like this iteration, but as you said, this is not about arguing these films place in the franchise.

I can see some positives in these films. There are references in the 2009 film to what the Prime Kirk was, and it’s helped me put into perspective that this is what I intellectually know, but find hard to separate, that this is an alternate universe and alternate version of these guys. I still don’t feel they are played right, but they obviously work for a lot of fans!

One thing I found humorous, the Greenwood Pike uses the phrase “Punch it” when going into warp, and the Mount Pike uses the phrase, “Hit it.” The same phrase more or less. Of course the Hunter Pike said “Engage”.

Osato likes this.
  12. John*Wells

John

Reliant

13. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I have a love/hate relationship with the Bad Robot Treks. I really do like the 2009 film, but hated how quickly Kirk was given command. But, to their credit, Into Darkness made that a story point. And while there's a lot in that film I enjoy, my wish was they didn't repeat so many of the same beats from TWOK. I felt they were squandering the whole idea of being able to ignore continuity.

Beyond was a great film in that they weren't redoing specific moments and was just a straightforward adventure. Kirk had finally grown up and even tho we've seen the Enterprise wrecked a few times, this time was like watching an old friend being vivisected. I mean, we never saw the nacelles sliced off and floating in space. That still puts a kick to my gut. The plot was both simple and complex and it was very well planned out for some written so quickly. The villain was weak, but the main cast - as well as Jaylah - was very strong. Also really liked the cast photo from Star Trek V. Such a nice touch and a great way to legitimize that film.

In any event, I'm sad to see it all fall apart. Paramount never knew what they had with Trek nor did they ever plan these films the right way. 13 movies and even those I like the least I still like.

Jason_V and Osato like this.
  14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Just parachuting into this thread to express my marvel that William Shatner is 88 years old and looks like a man in his late sixties.

bmasters9 and Josh Steinberg like this.
  15. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    And the energy of a man even younger than that!

16. Nelson Au

Adam, your post scared me, thought something might have happened. Yes, the guy is so youthful. He’s not slowing down and that’s great!

The other day when there was talk in this thread about what to do if Chris Pine doesn’t come back to play Kirk, I was thinking, well there is another actor who played Kirk first.

17. Osato

Osato Producer

Love the Starfleet access features on the tos Blu Ray sets. Shame none are included on season 3!!

Watching the menagerie tonight

18. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    The 2 parter? Watch it with the mono sound on or you’ll be treated to some fairly awful background score replacements in part two.

Osato likes this.
  19. Osato

Osato Producer

Looks like the dts mix is used in the Starfleet access. I had to enable secondary audio on my player. Otherwise it defaults to dts hd ma

20. Nelson Au

I’ve always wondered about the music during the teaser in Part 2. It sounds out of place. Maybe it was inserted or the music was replaced after the series was released on tape and laserdisc.

Osato likes this.