What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,You recorded the audio at a drive-in theater? Now that, sir, is committment on your part! Rather than being reduced two steps in rank for your past transgressions (whatever those may be), I hearby promote you to Fleet Admiral. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Someone snoring? Ouch! Especially on opening night. Let's hope he was just very tired.Glad you waited for the end of classes, though. Lieutenant Kirk would have approved!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, it was an odd day, my friend who did cut classes saw it at the big Coronet Theater in San Francisco. He was at the very first show of the day so the newspaper film critics were there too. My friend said one guy he thought was one of the critics sniggered during the close-up of Kirk as he gazes upon the Enterprise after Scotty turns the travel pod to get a front view of her. That wasn't nice. Then the snoring during my evening viewing. Let's hope that guy had a hard day and was tired.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
There wasn't a preview for the critics? That never occurred to me. When did they start doing that? So people who got the newspaper on Friday morning couldn't read the review of the movie? That's so different from the way things are now.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's what my friend said. :). I do remember looking to the San Francisco Chronicle afternoon edition to see the movie reviews for later movies. I never read the Star Trek reviews to avoid spoilers. But of recent years, I just read the reviews on the web. I have heard of the kiss of death if a movie these days are not available for preview for the critics usually meaning the film is a bomb.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Afternoon editions! Of course. I forgot about those. I don't really recall them personally, but that would solve the problem.Ebert was always a good writer. When I was an archivist, I processed the papers of historian Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. In the late '70s and early '80s, he did some movie reviews, mostly because he thought it was fun, in a weekly paper. I found his review of TMP, which was interesting. In essence, he said the movie wasn't great but that everyone should go see it because the television show (which his kids started him watching) was so good.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty cool what Schlesinger said about the series! I was curious and tried to see if his review was on-line, but had no luck.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,I think you would have had better luck had you checked the Australian newspapers. But I'm sure you already knew that. ;)

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
A good friend and I have fond memories of waiting outside one of the (now-gone) Holiday 6 theaters at 7am... in Buffalo, NY... on December 7th. First show was noon. The theater management took pity on the dozen or so of us and allowed us to see the 9am test run.

Between the contracted December 7th bookings and the delays in producing the optical effects, the film literally wasn't finished until days before (in Robert Wise's view, it really wasn't finished then). Prints were shipped out "wet" from processing. I believe the print we saw had arrived the night before and had been assembled for projection that morning. The print used for the Washington DC premiere on the 6th was carried by Wise to the event.

So - no advance press screenings were possible.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dave, it's great to hear others experiences on December 7th in 1979. That was really great the theater let you in. Times have changed!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks, Dave. It would have been impossible for most cities to have critic previews of the movie that week. I forgot the story about Wise carrying the preview print to Washington on the Paramount corporate jet. (And my wife, who grew up in Buffalo, remembers going to that theater also.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Same here Alan, I sent them my shipping address last night. :)And Lee reminded me that the Star Trek The Motion Picture oral history book is shipping this week too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks