What's new

Schizopolis on DVD(please?) (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I'm not a big Steven Soderbergh fan by any means. I think I've only seen 2 or 3 of his movies but the one that stands out and kept me laughing was 1996's Schizopolis. This wacky movie is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen and it needs to be on DVD. It's imperative.
Who's that... that moron, the one who used to work in your sector. The one who wears the brown shirt all the time?

Oh, Nameless Numberhead Man?

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! This is great news. I hadn't heard anything about a possible release let alone a Criterion release!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Yeah I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it happens. Schizopolis seems perfect as a Criterion release because they often deal with quirky movies that didn't catch on with the mainstream for whatever reason.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Criterion also has Gray's Anatomy on the slate. While not an entirely successful Soderbergh experiment, It was certainly very interesting and worthy of purchase.

Woman: "Arsenal. Nose army."
Elmo Oxygen: "Uh, nose army....beef diaper?"
Woman: "Nomenclature."

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Jigsaw!

:D

Manoman I love this picture. SO underrated. To me this is the ultimate 90s film. Tried to tape it off IFC a couple years ago (in widescreen to boot) but had the VCR set wrong, got 2 hours of pitch black. :frowning:

The scene where SS makes faces in the bathroom mirror has me on the floor every time.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I was lucky enough to catch it and record off IFC. I'm going to have to pull out that old tape tonight and watch it. I love the end credits, it's about 1 frame of film.

Pete L

Agent
I almost bought the widescreen VHS the other day, but came to my senses in time. So glad to hear Criterion might do this. I remember someone over at the old Criterion DVD forum doing a mock up of Schizopolis as a Criterion cover (basically a collage of images of Soderbergh grimacing at himself in the mirror) - it was perfect.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Blackstar says the R2 verion is anamorphic. See here: Schizopolis. I might have to pick this up next week to tide myself over until the Criterion version appears.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Have any US customers ordered from Play.com before? Is it a big hassle? I would love to get this to tide me over.

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
Play.com doesn't ship to the US, or at least didn't the last I checked.

But it looks like Benson's World and Blackstar both carry it, and both ship here.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tip, Doug. Can you recommend one dealer over the other? I've never ordered from the UK before.

I've had consistently good luck with Link Removed
I've ordered several discs from them and have been very imprssed with price, service and speed of shipping. They used to have free worldwide shipping (now it's free within the UK) but it's till cheap (around 1 pound sterling, which is about $1.50-2.00). If my cheap ass all region/PAL capable dvd player could handle PAL conversion as well as anamorphic down scaling (or whatever it's called) I'd be snapping this puppy up as well. Although at this price I'm still tempted. Anyone know just how messed up/squished the picture will look?

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
I've been happy with Benson's. Never used Blackstar. Dissatisfied with Streets. That's about all I know about UK DVD ordering.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Why not order from http://www.amazon.co.uk/

If you already have an account with Amazon.com you can use your existing username and password there. They are also very reliable and they ship super-fast. I often receive orders from the UK quicker than my regular Amazon US orders!)

My husband orders CDs from them all the time and I have ordered many books & DVDs that are unavailable in the US.

They also usually discount orders to the US by about 15%. (The discount shows up at checkout.)

Schizopolis is only 9.99 (pounds). (After discount 8.50 pounds).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...280292-1634836

Total shipped to the US is 11.58 pounds (about $18.52).

I just placed my order. I love this movie.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Confirmation from Criterion spokesman Jon Mulvaney (taken from this thread at the Criterion boards):

"We plan to release SCHIZOPOLIS in the future, but nothing is definite at this time.

Thanks,
JM"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks