What's new

Scary Movie 3 keeps getting weirder and weirder... (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
First off, it's being directed by Jerry Zucker and not K.I. Wayans - who directed the first two. Sure, the guy knows how to do spoof material, but he's also produced more than his share of crap in the past several years.

Second, it seems as if the screenwriting credits could boast over a dozen names. This includes 'character' credits, 'based on' credits, re-writes and polishes, which leads to...

Kevin Smith's involvement. Some say he's just 'executive producing' this one, but I can't imagine Smith being brought in to any movie without asking him to flex his strongest muscle - the screenwriting one.

The original working title was Scary Movie 3: Episode I - Lord of the Brooms, though I don't know if they've jettisoned this concept or not.

The Wayans are not involved at all (Keenen is currently working on a remake of The Incredible Shrinking Man (God help us all)), lead Anna Faris is on board and recent reports indicate that Charlie Sheen (no stranger to spoofs) has just signed on as well.

Release date is currently set for 10/3.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Just for the record, Smith Exec-produced Good Will Hunting and didnt write a single thing.

This movie sounds like crap anyway, SM2 was bad enough....

James T

Screenwriter
Smith did a rewrite. Well he sorta did a rewrite, not enough to give him credit though. All he did was basically add/change some of the one-liners in the script.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
I must say that I've been looking forward to this. It doesn't seemed rushed like the second one was. Hopefully, they'll take enough time to make a quality spoof. They better stick with the original concept of spoofing LOTR, HP, and SW...well not so much SW since Spaceballs did a fantastic job of that already. I think having Kevin Smith aboard will only make this movie better so my expectations are pretty high right now.

OcieB

Stunt Coordinator
i have some confidence that this will be good. Rat Race was pretty rediculously funny.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Smith did a rewrite. Well he sorta did a rewrite, not enough to give him credit though. All he did was basically add/change some of the one-liners in the script
Unless he willingly pulls his name from the screenwriting credits, those changes are enough to make him one of the screenwriters.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Don't know how this will be. I really liked SM1, I thought it was a great spoof and they did a great job. Then came SM2, whichi I thought STUNK! They failed to capture what it was that made SM1 so good. So who knows how SM3 will be.

James T

Screenwriter
Unless he willingly pulls his name from the screenwriting credits, those changes are enough to make him one of the screenwriters.
Are you sure about that? You could be right about him willingly pulling his name, but scripts go through dozens of rewrites, so how do they track who gets credit? They're plenty of other movies that steal one-liners from other movies and the original writers don't get credit. There's also the organic webbing that James Cameron thought of that he never got credit for.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Also, I seem to recall that SWG rules allow only a maximum of six credited writers - three slots, each of which can be filled by a single writer or a two person team (an "AND" seperates slots, while an "&" indicates two writers working together). If there are a lot of hands in this, Smith's contribution may not be large enough to make the cut.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If he is involved in the movie all the way through and contributes enough to the actual script instead of just ideas or comments, then he gets credit. If he says "wouldn't it be cool if" or "try to put this in" then he doesn't, but if he physically rewrites or adds anything, then he gets credit.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
I think Scary Movie 2 butchered the title of any credibility to Scary Movie 3...why not a more original prefix so it has no relation of quality to scary movie 2...just like i think episodes I and II need to be taken out of film history because it butchers the idea of Star Wars being quintessential scifi adventure cinema..as it used to be known as

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
*already carving off a spot on his Worst of 2003 section* Hey, the first two made it. I have no doubt this one will be the same award-winning caliber. :)

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks