What's new

Say, didja hear the one about the Blue Man Group releasing a live DVD? (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
NEITHER DID I!!! And I'm on their mailing list, too. :angry:

Apparently a live DVD of their recent live tour came out on Nov 25th for the low low list price of $14.99.

"Blue Man Group - The Complex Rock Tour Live"

Unfortunately I was unable to make it to any shows for this tour but I heard it was incredible. And while I didn't care much for their last album I'll be picking this one up.

5.1, non anamorphic letterbox. Flip side contains four 5.1 remixes from the last album, with a full 5.1 remix coming out next year.

FYI - This is not a DVD of the stage show.

-paul

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
We saw the Complex Rock Tour here in Houston three weeks ago, which was incredible. I ordered this disc right away (DDD has it for under $10) and received it Monday.

Color me a bit disappointed. It's cheap because it was done on the cheap. The non-anamorphic widescreen video is problematic, it's OK in places, and decidedly less than OK in others. The audio (mislabeled as Dolby Surround on the disc, thankfully, it is Dolby Digital 5.1) is much better, especially on the intrumentals, but the vocals don't fare as well. Tracy Bonham's vocal on "Baba O'Reilly" has been compressed or filtered or something and sounds horrible. It's not the singer - she was fantastic live.

On first viewing, I also felt the show that was recorded lacked a lot of the energy & precision we saw in the Houston show. I've looked at it again and I now think that was the natural result of comparing a show I had seen live just three weeks prior to a recorded facsimile, which will always be inferior to the live experience.

So, it's not a perfect release, but for under $10 it makes a fine souvenir of the show, and is still a must-buy for fans of BMG.

Oh yes, it appears the entire concert is on the disc with (sadly) the exception of the band's take on Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit", which apparently had to be excised for rights issues. It's a shame, as this was one of the show's highlights, with a great vocal by Bonham.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The show I saw was great, I thought. Don't care too much for Bonham, but Venus Hum was very good.

Damned shame about White Rabbit, though.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
The show that is on this disc is very different from the show I saw a few days later in Minneapolis. I belive this show was recorded in Texas a few days before the show we saw. There are a lot of different gimmicks. Both me and my wife looked at each other several times while watching this DVD asking each other "Do you remember that?" It was very suprising to see a very different show. Though the set list was the same with a few omissions.

Its one of those dvd's where it isn't bad or it isn't great. Its the happy medium. I was glad to see a DD 5.1 track though.

On the flip side of the DVD there are 3 DTS tracks.

Paul

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I could be wrong, but I can't imagine any DVD doing justice to Blue Man Group. I saw them live this past summer in Boston. There's really no way to effectively translate that kind of experience to film or digital video, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks