What's new

Satellite cables (1 Viewer)

KevinFuqua

Auditioning
How many RG6 cables do I need to run from the approximate location of my HDTV dish to the structured wiring panel of my house prior to drywalling to assure I have enough? The dish will have 2 dual LNBs and the third LNB for the local stations in Greenville SC(110 degrees). Does that mean 5?? Do the new dishes come with a 4 output switcher to allow up to 4 recievers?? Thanks for the help. We are drywalling this week.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Hey Kevin. Are you talking about Dishnetwork or DTV? Much of it will depend on how many TV's you are wanting to supply with the HD signal.
C. Ryan
------------------
Project5.jpg

Darold_Brins

Agent
Kevin,
If you are using the 110 SAT for local channels, I assume you are using DirecTV. Yes, the oval dishes usually come with a 5X4 multiswitch. If you leave the multiswitch outside and you have four receivers, you will need four wires. If the multiswitch is inside, then you will need five wires (be sure you know which ones are which, i.e. SAT A vs SAT B vs SAT C). This second way may be more flexible for you, if you have a central whole house distribution panel--it allows you to later put in a 5x8 multiswitch to support up to 8 receivers (why I don't know!!).
Hope this helps,
Darold "Brins" Brinley
------------------
If I wasn't flying fighters, I'd be at home watching HDTV!!!

KevinFuqua

Auditioning
Thanks C.Ryan and Darold for the info. I am using Direct TV because I already have two Sony recievers(A2 & B2) and would need only to add the HDTV reciever. I anticipate only one HDTV ready TV for the foreseeable future( in the media room )with the to be purchased HDTV reciever located there while the kids playroom will get the B2 and the family room will get the A2. I also want our master bedroom and the guest bedroom, which will each have TV's, to be able to access and control the A2 or HDTV reciever so that I could retire in the evening and watch TV using either reciever. I assume I could do this if both had RF remote capability which they will or I could hardwire for IR control. What flexibility does the presence of structured wiring throughout the house give me?? I am having it put in but am still learning what its going to allow me to do. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks