What's new

Sat Receiver Digital Audio Out? (1 Viewer)

LennyS

Auditioning
This is my first post so please be gentle. I currently have a basic Hughes receiver for my DirecTV with the standard s-video out and RCA out for audio. I'd like to upgrade to one with a digital optical out to take advantage of the movies that are broadcast in Dolby Digital. My question is this. If I use the optical out on the Hughes receiver, what happens when I tune to a channel that's not broadcast in DD. Do I need to run an RCA in addition to the optical? Or will I receive audio through the optical, just not in a digital format? The model I'm looking at is this one:

Executive Director Receiver Hughes
Manuf. Model: GCEBO-Rec

Thanks for any help and please forgive me if I've confused anyone.

-Lenny

jeff.wright

Auditioning
Just like a DVD player, a digital audio cable can output as whatever mode is provided or selected. There is no need for a double audio connection.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you can spare a few more dollars, look at the Hughes HDVR2 (aka DirecTivo). It has an optical out for DD but even better, it can record DD for playback later.

-Robert

LennyS

Auditioning
Thank you both for the responses. I will definitely check out that receiver.

-Lenny

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
On my Scientific Atlanta set top box for Digital cable (not Satellite), I must have BOTH the digital coax and RCA composite audio connections made. This is per SA's instructions. I tried it w/o the RCA jacks first and NO sound (then I read the instructions). Apparently on their system, the analog broadcasts default to the RCA composite connection. I leave my receiver's input on "auto select", and it switches to digital when a digital broadcast is available.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I forgot to answer the second question. The digital audio connection delivers all sound. DD, stereo, mono. That's the only audio connection required.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks