What's new

Need some help connecting Pioneer VSX-819h to Samsung ES7500g (1 Viewer)

mrap

Auditioning
Real Name
Mik rap
Hi,
I was hoping someone could help with connecting my pioneer vsx-819h to Samsung es7500.
I reCently decided to cut the cord, so there's no set top box in the mix.
I tried 2 options that seemed logical:
1) using the HDMI ARC ( audio reverse channel ) by connecting an HDMI cable to the tv in the HDMI 2 which is marked as ARC out and in the TV/Sat in slot in the receiver but it didn't seem to work. I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything in the receiver settings to make it work.
2) using the Digital Optical audio . I ran a digital optical cable from te optical out on the TV to the receivers AUX in but no luck either.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks for your help and happy holidays!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Oh, so close ...
You were on he right track with #1, but the connection is from the receiver's HDMI-out port to the TVs ARC capable port (which you identified as HDMI2).
You may have to turn on ARC in either or both of the TV and receiver.

mrap

Auditioning
Real Name
Mik rap
Al.Anderson said:
Oh, so close ...
You were on he right track with #1, but the connection is from the receiver's HDMI-out port to the TVs ARC capable port (which you identified as HDMI2).
You may have to turn on ARC in either or both of the TV and receiver.
Thank you Al.Anderson. I tried that and tried all inputs, but there was no sound. Also, couldn't find any options to enable ARC neither on the tv or the receiver. What input would you usually use ? I'm assuming I don't have to switch the source on the tv, right ?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Okay, my bad; in my haste I assumed both devices were ARC capable, but the Pioneer is not, so the ARC approach won't work.
The optical connection you gave as #2 should have worked though. You shouldn't have to do anything with the TV, the Pioneer's source selection should be set to Aux.
What are you trying to watch? Is there an antenna connected to the TV, or is there a DVD/BR player in the mix?
The manual was less than helpful regarding the receiver's source selection. When you use the INPUT SELECTOR, is there a selection for "Aux"? If not, say there's only a "TV", then the problem is probably that you have to tell the receiver that "TV" is "aux-2". Follow the instructions on page 40 under 'Choosing the input signal'.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was hoping the OP would get the AHA moment himself on my comment...
"I wonder why you can't get ARC to work"...
The toslink connected to the front works as long as nothing else is connected at the same time.
I would choose one on the rear...then assign it.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I was hoping the OP would get the AHA moment himself on my comment...
I thought your "aha" hint was that he had the HDMI connected to a receiver input.

mrap

Auditioning
Real Name
Mik rap
Thanks again for checking. Let me clarify the setup again:
There's an over the air antenna connected via coax to the tv. Also, there's plenty of apps directly in the television's smart hub ( Netflix, Hulu plus, and etc ).
I tried the optical cable again in the aux in (as well as the other optical input ) with no luck. I tried all the available signals available on the aux input.
I have a feeling the receiver itself might be the problem. It's a new TV we just got, but the receiver was in our storage unit in the last few months collecting dust. I'll try to test it with a more straight forward setup and update you on the status.
Thanks again and happy holidays.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The apps probably can't leave the TV(they don't on Panasonic and "I can't get sound from Netflix on my TV into my stereo" is a problem on all forums)...
When you connect the toslink are you given a choice between fixed and variable audio output?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks